PDA

View Full Version : Most Influential Game Developer/Designer?

Pages : [1] 2

jAkUp
08-02-06, 11:25 AM
http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/722/722810p1.html

Interesting poll over at VE3D, without a doubt it was John Carmack in the past, however, times have changed and I don't agree with some of his visions. The Doom engine and Quake2 engine were revolutionary at the time.

I think currently it is Tim Sweeney, the UE3 engine is absolutely huge, never before have I seen such a large amount of developers supporting a single engine.

a12ctic
08-02-06, 11:38 AM
its definatly sweeny or carmack, imho the d3 engine is a lot beter than the unreal engines.

SlamDunk
08-02-06, 11:41 AM
Out of those on that list I voted for Warren Spector, of course. Carmack is way over rated.

Zelda_fan
08-02-06, 11:55 AM
If we are simply talking about PC games, then I'd vote for Carmack.

However, when you include console games into the mix, I'd have to say Miyamoto.

a12ctic
08-02-06, 11:57 AM
ya zelda, he wouldve been my second choice, then sid Meier

jAkUp
08-02-06, 12:15 PM
As for Carmack, I think some of his ideas are still in the past.

For instance, he has just about 0 interest in physics or A.I. Two things which may not have been important in the Doom1 days, but they definetely very important now.

CaptNKILL
08-02-06, 12:22 PM
I'm going to vote for Warren Specter because he was directly responsible for a few of my favorite games of all time (and I want more games influenced by him :p), but overall I think Carmack is hands down the most influential in the PC area with Shigeru Miyamoto and Sid Meier right behind him.

Overrated or not, Carmack's engines\games helped build the foundation for the whole first person shooter genre which I think has been the most popular genre for PC games (and in some cases console games) for probably 10 years.

a12ctic
08-02-06, 12:25 PM
huh? doom 3 is the only engine were ive experienced realistic physics, sure there arent hundreds of random things scattered across the ground and a magic gun for picking them up and doing random things with them, but the things that do have physics are realistic, atm physics are like hdr, way over done to the point were they arent realistic, in doom 3 bodys dont go flying, the fall where they are, which is much more realistic, if you want you can beat them a little, but they dont go scattering across the floor.

CaptNKILL
08-02-06, 12:32 PM
huh? doom 3 is the only engine were ive experienced realistic physics, sure there arent hundreds of random things scattered across the ground and a magic gun for picking them up and doing random things with them, but the things that do have physics are realistic, atm physics are like hdr, way over done to the point were they arent realistic, in doom 3 bodys dont go flying, the fall where they are, which is much more realistic, if you want you can beat them a little, but they dont go scattering across the floor.
And I think thats exactly jAkUps point. They added the bare minimum physics to the game (ragdolls that last for about 3 seconds before the body disapears and about a dozen objects that you can move throughout the entire game) and nothing more. They werent interested in making it part of the gameplay or even making it noticeable.

To be honest I didnt think much of Doom 3 and the engine looks good but I've yet to see anything that blew me away on it (actually, most of the time you cant SEE anything on it... :D).

I'm more impressed by the 10 years of Carmack's work before Doom 3.

jAkUp
08-02-06, 12:34 PM
Yes, Carmack said he did not want to have any physics in Doom3, but they added it anyways at the last minute, I just don't agree with that mindset. Carmack says it does not add to gameplay...

CaptNKILL
08-02-06, 12:37 PM
Yes, Carmack said he did not want to have any physics in Doom3, but they added it anyways at the last minute, I just don't agree with that mindset. Carmack says it does not add to gameplay...
I had more fun playing with the physics in Half-Life 2 than I did playing the entire game of Doom 3 :o

a12ctic
08-02-06, 12:41 PM
i dont know physics have yet to really impressive me in any game, hl2 was way overdone though, i think that it was very nicely done in oblivion though. even though its not realistic its sorta fun and it adds to the game

dwhjr77
08-02-06, 12:53 PM
I went with the Shig. He's responsible for my gaming addiction. Carmack is 2nd only because he's not really about making games, but about the technology behind the game. The Shig is about making games: Mario/Zelda ftw.

LycosV
08-02-06, 12:56 PM
John Carmack WAS the most influential game developer/designer, but Tim Sweeny IS the most influential right now. Check out the list of games based on the Unreal Engine 3 and you know this. Influence is directly extended by people using your engine.

Zelda_fan
08-02-06, 12:59 PM
As for Carmack, I think some of his ideas are still in the past.

For instance, he has just about 0 interest in physics or A.I. Two things which may not have been important in the Doom1 days, but they definetely very important now.

I will say Carmack has a point. To date, there hasn't been a game that has impressed me with it's AI. Especially in FPS. In FPS, (and this pertains to HL2, GRAW, as well as the original Quake), bad guys simply come at me and I shoot. That's about the extent of how I notice it (whatever kind of background AI may be processing). Even Oblivion's AI was not really that much different from the same old same old.

Physics is on the rise, but again, to date, I haven't seen a game that makes physics an integral part of gameplay. HL2 was the closest, but even still they missed the mark by quite a bit.

Until a game actually comes along and proves that Physics and AI are actually "revolutionary" aspects of gameplay, Carmak's point still stands.

Honestly the best AI I've seen in games usually happens in RPGs, where I'm forced to use tactics rather than just going in guns ablazing.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see revolutionary AI and physics, but I think we are quite a ways off from actually seeing them.

LiquidX
08-02-06, 01:08 PM
I think Tim Schafer (Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango, and Psychonauts) should be on that list. But if I had to vote I would say John Carmack because of what he and his team did for the fps genre.

jolle
08-02-06, 01:10 PM
I think currently it is Tim Sweeney, the UE3 engine is absolutely huge, never before have I seen such a large amount of developers supporting a single engine.
Great engine to be sure, but how influential would you call it right now?
first its just a engine, and that shouldnt really cut it.. and secondly it isnt out..
id prolly did the biggest impact in their early days with Doom and then Quake.
And after that there has been alot of good inovations and stuff, but they dont make the same impact as the big things from the early days of gaming, since its often not as groundbreaking as it is more refining or merging genres.
I dont think its possible to have the kind of impact id had in its early days now.

Zelda_fan
08-02-06, 01:17 PM
Great engine to be sure, but how influential would you call it right now?
first its just a engine, and that shouldnt really cut it..

Yeah I agree. It's not about technology, it's about who makes the best games. Technology can shove it if the game isn't fun. A lot of games based on Unreal3 could suck.

jAkUp
08-02-06, 01:20 PM
Well, I am speaking from a merely graphical standpoint.

CaptNKILL
08-02-06, 01:31 PM
I think you'd have to look at this in the form of a "tree". With Carmack ("id") branching off into the Wolf3d, Doom, Quake, Quake 2, Quake 3 and Doom 3 engines. From those, look at some of the huge games that have stemmed from them:

Wolfenstien 3d, Doom, Doom 2, Hexen, Heretic, Quake, Team Fortress (quake mod), Hexen 2, Half-Life (this is obviously an ENORMOUS one), Quake 2, Heretic 2, Sin, Soldier of Fortune, Anachronox, Quake 3 Arena, Star Trek Elite Force 1 and 2, Heavy Metal FAKK, Medal of Honor Allied Assault, Return to Castle Wolfenstien, Enemy Territory, Soldier of Fortune 2, Jedi Outcast, Call of Duty, Doom 3, Quake 4, Prey...

Can you imagine if we had never had any of those games or if they had turned out worse because of a crappy engine? Some of the biggest games there were made by id themselves.

No doubt the Unreal Engine is really really nice (and some of my favorite games were built on it) but you cant ignore id software's influences, through their games and their engines.

crainger
08-02-06, 06:50 PM
I think Tim Schafer (Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango, and Psychonauts) should be on that list.

I agree. Also Roberta Williams and Al Lowe.

a12ctic
08-02-06, 07:09 PM
well, Rick Goodman basicly created the RTS as we know it, id add him as well

SH64
08-02-06, 07:10 PM
1) JC
2) Tim Sweeney
3) Chevat Yerli (Crytek engine FTW!!)
4) Gabe Newell (HL2 looked fantastic when it came out after all the wait!)

jAkUp
08-02-06, 11:12 PM
Yup, my 4 favorite guys in the industry today. JC, Sweeney, Cevat and Gabe

mullet
08-02-06, 11:20 PM
Carmack & Sweeny, I think are the best in the industry bottom line. The 2 games that I loved the most were UT & Quake they changed it all.