PDA

View Full Version : is stock thermal material worth replacing

anticitizenzero
08-02-06, 04:37 PM
I'm thinking about taking my heat sync off and putting on some as5 instead of the stock material on my xfx 7800. My question is, is it worth doing, will it lower temps 2-3 degrees or does it already have decent material on it?

BigE4u
08-02-06, 05:56 PM
Most definately, ArcticSilver5 is the one to use... its 100% better than the original thermal compound. Since the original HSF that comes on video cards arent that great, seriously think about going with an aftermarket VGA cooler. One of these two will work quite nicely...

#1. Zalman VF700-Cu...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118117
#2. Zalman VF900-Cu...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118001

rewt
08-02-06, 06:27 PM
What does 100% better mean? 100% of 1 is 1.

It certainly cannot mean that if your card gets 100 degrees then it will go down to 0 degrees.

From my experience you are likely to lose only 2 or 3 degrees (if that) by replacing the default compound with AS5.

It would actually work much better to get a more efficient heatsink instead.

john19055
08-03-06, 02:08 AM
If the factory has it stuck good you may not see that much of a difference,The Evga 7800GT's that I had ,when I put AS5 on them I got maybe 1c to 3c cooling on them.but if the factory did a bad job you could see a 8c to 10c increase in cooling.

Rytr
08-03-06, 02:13 AM
If your temps are OK I would not do it. If you want better temps get a good aftermarket cooler and use AS5.

nekrosoft13
08-03-06, 06:19 AM
by doing that, say bye bye to warranty

ATOJAR
08-03-06, 07:57 AM
I replaced the stock fan on my 7800GTX with a NV Silencer 5(Rev.3) (http://www.arctic-cooling.com/vga2.php?idx=40) i also applied Arctic Silver 5 (http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm) Thermal Compound to the gpu chip, this made a difference of about 15 - 20c idle(now it sits at 40c idle)and it rises to around 50-55c under load(used to be around 55-60c idle), ive always used Arctic Silver 5 on all my chips gpu/cpu its awsome stuff and i would reccomend it highly, the crappy white thermal paste they put on stock coolers usually dries like chalk after a while making your chip temps go through the roof!

BigE4u
08-03-06, 10:06 AM
by doing that, say bye bye to warranty

Naaa... for warranty work, put back on the original HSF if removed for a better one and replace the AS5 with some regular white compound like it used to have.

If going with the NV-Silencer5 vga cooler, remember to use the thermal pads that come with it for the memory. If its the version w/o the pads, be sure to use ArcticSilverCeramique, its non-conductive nor capacative like AS5, so its better suited for the memory. Point being is that if you accidently get some AS5 on the memory pins(backside), it will ruin the memory... ASC will not do any harm if the same happens.

ATOJAR
08-03-06, 10:53 AM
Naaa... for warranty work, put back on the original HSF if removed for a better one and replace the AS5 with some regular white compound like it used to have.

Agreed, quite a while back i had a nvidia 6600 256MB that i bough from pc world, I replaced the stock fan with a ZALMAN VF700-Cu copper GPU heatsink, i also removed the crappy white thermal compound and replaced it with Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound, when i installed the card i was getting graphics corruption, after a google on the net i found out the ram on my card was knackerd, i replaced the stock fan and applied some cheap white thermal compound, took the card back and they replaced it no questions no problem!

Salamandar
08-03-06, 11:10 AM
AS 5 would cool down your CPU much better than stock thermal compounds.
I use a compound called stars-612 which gave me an extra 3-5 degrees of coolness over stock solution on the CPU.
Yet I haven't tried that on my GPU since I'm using stock HSF on it and I'm not looking to change that !

anticitizenzero
08-03-06, 11:52 AM
Well if you end up putting it on your xfx7800 let me know the results, i'm curious what kind they use stock since I have teh same card.

ATOJAR
08-03-06, 02:29 PM
i'm curious what kind they use stock since I have teh same card.

If you mean what thermal compound then its probabaly cheapo white cream, ive never seen a gfx card yet that has decent thermal compound already on it, thats why i always put my own on! the closest i have ever seen to decent thermal compound is on my Freezer 64 Pro, this did have silver compound on but its not as effective as the Arctic Silver 5!

rewt
08-03-06, 02:53 PM
EVGA uses white compound too. I replaced it with AS5 and it made hardly any difference at all. In fact it might even run a degree or two hotter now. Total waste of time..

ATOJAR
08-03-06, 03:14 PM
EVGA uses white compound too. I replaced it with AS5 and it made hardly any difference at all. In fact it might even run a degree or two hotter now. Total waste of time..

Thats very weird, every time ive replaced the white compound with AS5 ive noticed a pretty good drop af at least 5c! on all my chips.

rewt
08-03-06, 03:29 PM
Both my 6600GTs give the same temp reading at idle right now. One of them has stock compound and the other has AS5. No difference whatsoever, at least at idle anyways. Haven't really compared full load that I can remember. But I highly doubt that is much different either.

Rytr
08-03-06, 03:59 PM
The most I have ever seen is almost 3C drop in temps when using any aftermarket thermal compound or pad over the white compound you can pick up at RadioShack. Nevertheless I use AS5. 1-3C drop in temps is better than nothing. :D

Of course, if for some reason the heatsink was not making 100% contact after assembly at the factory no thermal solution is going to help much. Re-installing the sink correctly and getting full 100% contact with an application of thermal compound is the only solution.

The only way to insure the warranty is maintained is contact the vendor or manufacturer. They may give you instructions on what to do to correct the problem, tell you there is no problem, or issue an RMA #.

Renzo
08-04-06, 12:35 AM
Both my 6600GTs give the same temp reading at idle right now. One of them has stock compound and the other has AS5. No difference whatsoever, at least at idle anyways. Haven't really compared full load that I can remember. But I highly doubt that is much different either.
Yeah, it really is that way.

Depending on the surfaces of your cpu/gpu/whatever and heatsink, the difference in temperatures can occur. Especially with gfx cards that come without heat spreader (all of them actually?) are so straight that if you have good cooler/heatsink with straight copper contact area it's really not important what kind of thermal paste you put there, at least if it's something else than that default gummi goo or thermal tape.

Only drying up will be the problem on some thermal pastes (silicon paste and older AS) so one should go for those that will not dry up so easily.