Pages : [1] 2

td5k
08-03-06, 10:10 AM
Windows XP SP2
Intel Pentium 4 CPU
2.93 GHz
512 MB RAM
Intel 82915G/GV/910 GL Express Chipset Family

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7638292&type=product&productCategoryId=cat01151&id=1130987962366

I'm thinking of purchasing this product..but I don't exactly know if my PC can support it.

I'm not sure if I have a PCI-E slot as well. If someone could help me out with installing a vid card, including how not to get shocked, that would be great.

I just haven't installed one in so long, I'd rather brushen up on it, rather than just going right into it.

Cruel_Logic
08-03-06, 04:04 PM
This video card is not pci-e, it is pci. This should work on your chipset, as there isn't a motherboard out there that does not have a pci slot. Just make sure that you have a free pci slot, and disconnect the power cord from your computer before your install. There's nothing fancy or tricky, just put it in, screw it down, and you should be ready to go. :thumbsup:

td5k
08-03-06, 04:09 PM
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp;jsessionid=14XV13AXHD421KC4D3GVAFQ?sku Id=7727454&type=product&productCategoryId=cat01151&id=1138088147244

This one appears to be PCI-E.

As for installing, I don't wanna risk having a static charge screwing up my components.

How exactly would I go about grounding myself?

Should I just go outside, onto some cement, and just remember to have my hand on the outer plastic case?

And how would I go about finding out if I have a PCI-E slot via my Device Manager?

I'd like to not have to open the case up right now.

I can upload some printscreens of my device manager if needed.

Ancient
08-03-06, 05:43 PM
What brand and model of computer do you have? I can't tell whether or not you have a PCIe slot with the information you've provided, though the 915G Intel chipset does support PCIe. It's likely you do have a PCIe slot but it always best to make sure.

td5k
08-03-06, 06:07 PM
Gateway Desktop 420GR

FierceDeityLink
08-03-06, 06:16 PM
Touching the power supply while it's plugged it should ground you if you don't have a grounding strap. I probably know just as many electrical engineers that swear by them as computer geeks that go without them. Better safe than sorry.

EDIT:
Gateway Desktop 420GR
http://www.epinions.com/pr-GATEWAY_420GR_Desktop_PC/display_~full_specs
PCI Express x16 x 1 • PCI Express x1 x 1 • PCI x 2

stncttr908
08-03-06, 06:18 PM
Yes, you have a PCI-E x16 slot for one of these cards. However, your power supply might be lacking.

http://support.gateway.com/s/POWER/102015/102015nv.shtml

It's only 300W, so you might want to be careful. Also, please don't buy the card from Best Buy. Here is eVGA's 7600GS for more than $70 less. You can get a 7600GT (much faster) for far less than Best Buy's price for the GS.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/p__eVGA_GeForce_7600_GS_Video_Card,__19933449/skd=1/search=7600GS

td5k
08-03-06, 06:59 PM
So as long as I don't overclock the card, I don't have to worry about any issues?

My main reason for upgrading my vid card, is that Fraps crashes my PC when I try to capture screens or video. GameCam crashed my PC even when I did not try to capture screens or video.

I assumed that my vid card just couldn't do the job anymore, though this could somehow be related to the Power Supply.

Am I going to have to worry about this with one of these new cards? I don't plan on overclocking it to get a better performance or anything, I'd be happy with the normal performance. Is 300w good enough for that?

As for that eVGA, it looks nice and all, but I'd rather just go to Best Buy tommorow when I get my check. Sure, it'll hurt my pockets quite a bit, but I'd rather have that vid card installed as soon as possible.

And as for the grounding, what do you mean "plugged in"? Don't I have to remove all cords/cables including the power supply cable before I open the PC up?

Is there another way to ground myself? Should I bring a metal object with me, and hold onto it for the entire installation?

Thanks.

Ancient
08-03-06, 07:38 PM
Even without overclocking you could potentially run into problems. It's unlikely the power supply is causing your existing problems. More likely it's just the integrated video that you're now using, or it could be a driver issue for that integrated video. Intel is notorious for having crappy 3D solutions.

Your power supply is the bare minimum required to support a 7600GS. The important spec is the 12V rail. You need at least 20A across the 12V rail and existing peripherals could suck up some of that juice. You would be much better off buying the video card online along with a power supply with more oomph. Having a little bit of patience will get you both for about the same price as what you'd be dishing out to Best Buy.

To ground yourself, leave the computer plugged in but have the computer power down. Touch the metal frame of the case and that will discharge any static build up. Then you can unplug it and work on it. If you're in an environment that's dry and you commonly get static discharges you may want to check your local Radio Shack for a grounding strap. If static discharge is not something you see regularly, just touching the frame of the computer case should be enough.

Hope this helps.

ViN86
08-03-06, 09:20 PM
dont freak out too much about grounding. i install all my parts on a carpeted floor. just touch your PC case before you pic up the card and you will be ok.

there was another thread about this a while ago. i dont think anyone had experience with a static charge ruining any components.

as for your power supply, definitely get a new one. theyre not too expensive really. you can get a 400-450W power supply relatively cheap.

td5k
08-03-06, 09:40 PM
Really pissed about my power supply, I was hoping I'd be able to get this vid card and be utilizing it by the end of tommorow night...

So if I'm to understand, I can't even run this card at default performance?

I definitely don't have the cash for both of these, and the shipping on ordering online wouldn't really make much of a difference...

I also don't have a credit card or bank account, so that also eliminates newegg and other sites.

Ancient
08-03-06, 10:12 PM
You can give it a shot. Your power supply is the minimal recommended, but that doesn't mean it won't work. It might work fine. If the card works with the current PS, great. If it doesn't, put it aside until you can afford a better PS that will work.

You should be able to see the specs of your existing power supply with the case opened up (it should be listed on a label on the side of the PS), though you might have to unscrew it from the case and drop it down.. If the 12V rail is rated at 20A, you should be OK.

ViN86
08-04-06, 09:26 AM
Really pissed about my power supply, I was hoping I'd be able to get this vid card and be utilizing it by the end of tommorow night...

So if I'm to understand, I can't even run this card at default performance?

I definitely don't have the cash for both of these, and the shipping on ordering online wouldn't really make much of a difference...

I also don't have a credit card or bank account, so that also eliminates newegg and other sites.
you can find PSU's at staples and best buy. you only need a 400W or greater. should be under $70.

td5k
08-04-06, 05:23 PM
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=292584&pfp=browse&tabtype=ts#ts

Would this be suitable/compatible with my PC?

td5k
08-04-06, 11:01 PM
I installed a BFG GeForce 6200 OC card today.

It's considerably weaker than the 7600 I linked to, but that one actually isn't a compatible card(it's DDR2, not DDR as listed on Best Buy). I figured that if this card wasn't powerful enough, I'd just get a more powerful one when I had more cash.

This one most likely won't give my Power Supply a problem, but it still doesn't work.

I followed the instructions carefully.

-I uninstalled my Intel GFX Drivers, and powered down, while touching the metal frame.

-I opened the case, and looked for the PCI slot. I inserted the vid card firmly, it locked into place.

-I closed the case, and booted.

I get some dialog about the card, generic stuff.

My monitor is connected to the card, and I'm at a very low resolution.

I run the CD, and install the drivers.

Halfway through the installation, my screen goes black, and my PC just locks up.

I had to do a hard shutdown, which pissed me off because I haven't had to do that in months.

I rebooted, and installed the new drivers from the nVidia site, which I saved to my PC last night.

They installed just fine, and I did the mandatory restart.

Black screen. That's all I can see with the vid card now. My Intel works fine, but the nVidia doesn't.

So I go into Display Properties, and check it out.

Windows recognizes both of my cards, but I can't even choose to use the nVidia. It's settings are very low, and trying to change them is futile, they just reset to the default, and it switches back to my Intel.

So here I am, 10:51 PM, back where I was yesterday, pretty much. The nVidia does not work at all, in fact.

What should I do?

ViN86
08-05-06, 10:37 AM
Driver Cleaner Pro (http://www.drivercleaner.net/professional.html)

Click link - go to the bottom of the page and download the software

uninstall all video drivers through the add/remove feature in the control panel.

install driver cleaner pro

restart and boot into safe mode (hold f8 before the initial windows splash screen, then choose Safe Mode)

run driver cleaner and remove any intel video drivers or nvidia video drivers using driver cleaner - i believe it will search for them and give you the option to remove them

boot back into windows and install the latest forceware drivers

come back here and let me know how it went ;)

td5k
08-05-06, 12:21 PM
I'm again, back where I started.

I did as you said, and all I got was a black screen.

Same screwed up settings, can't get it past the default resolution.

Ancient
08-05-06, 02:34 PM
It may be that you have to go into the BIOS and disable the integrated graphics from being the primary display device.

td5k
08-05-06, 02:42 PM
I tried doing that, but I forgot how to do it.

Also, I don't wanna risk not being able to use my Intel card if things go south..

I'll take a chance, how would I disable the Intel? How would I re-enable it if this doesn't work?

Ancient
08-05-06, 02:58 PM
Do you know how to get to your BIOS? If so, you may have to go into the Integrated Peripherals section and disable the onboard video.

td5k
08-05-06, 03:05 PM
I know how to get into BIOS, but exactly what options should I choose? It's pretty convoluted...

Ancient
08-05-06, 03:09 PM
I'm not sure what BIOS you have and I can't find a manual online that defines the BIOS settings available. Is there a setting in your BIOS for "Primary Display Device"?

td5k
08-05-06, 04:16 PM
I can't seem to find any options for that.

And if I did disable my onboard vid card, and the nVidia still doesn't work, then what do I do?

How will I be able to view anything at all?

http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/9126/fvc1gs4.jpg
http://img462.imageshack.us/img462/1600/fvc2sr9.jpg

Should I attempt disabling the onboard card via Device Manager? Theoretically, if I do, when I reboot, my nVidia card will work.

But how does that explain the screwed up resolution, and the fact that I can't change it?

Ancient
08-05-06, 05:12 PM
In your display properties, does it allow you to change the color quality on the nVidia card?

td5k
08-05-06, 05:15 PM
No.

It goes back to 8-Bit as soon as I try to apply the new setting(s)