PDA

View Full Version : Getting a bit irritated

SquireSCA
08-03-06, 10:35 PM
I have two 7800GTX cards and wanted to use SLI and a second LCD. Turns out that it is not supported, which I understand.

So I go and get a PCI video card, an FX5500 w/DVI, figuring that the SLI rig will drive one display, and the second video card will drive the other.

Nope.

Apparently you cannot have SLI and dual monitors in the same computer, even if you use a seperate graphics adapter.

WTF is this horse ####?

Why won't the drivers allow the two GTX cards to work in SLI on one display, and the FX5500 driving the second display?

This is so retarded that I can only have one or the other.

Any idears?

GlowStick
08-04-06, 01:26 AM
Yes, unfortuantly this has been the case since the introduction of SLi. Hopefully you can return the fx5500 you bought. However, i will tell you dont bother trying to buy a video card from a third party such as ATi or Matrox hopeing it will work I have reports that it dose not.

SquireSCA
08-04-06, 09:39 AM
Should I ditch the twin 7800GTX cards and pick up a 7950GX2 and use that for the main LCD, and the FX5500 for the second display? Would that work?

HighTest
08-04-06, 11:35 AM
SquireSCA,

While it'd be costly and also be tuned for 3D CAD rather than games the Quadro FX SLI'ing does allow for multiple displays.

Take a look at this link: http://www.nvidia.com/object/quadro_sli.html

See the quote on this part:

SLI Multi View: Combines the power of two identical NVIDIA Quadro PCI Express graphics cards to span a single hardware-accelerated OpenGL application window across multiple displays, run a single application per GPU with multiple display outputs, or enable other flexible usage of two PCI Express graphics cards.

What we need to do is convince nVIDIA that this feature should be available on the consumer/prosumer cards as well as their Workstation class line of cards. From a workstation point of view, even 7950GX2 cards are "lower end consumer class" from a 3D CAD perspective. From a gaming viewpoint, the extra capabilities of the Workstation cards are also of little benefit, totally different needs.

GlowStick
08-04-06, 11:49 AM
Should I ditch the twin 7800GTX cards and pick up a 7950GX2 and use that for the main LCD, and the FX5500 for the second display? Would that work?
Though I havent tested that combo the same rules should apply, the 7950GX2 is the same as running sli and wont allow the fx5500 to power a display.

I personly would have to not recomend getting a quadro sli setup, mainly because it is not really intended for gaming. Performance will be lower than its Geforce counterparts and will cost you an arm and a leg.

One solution I used for sli is to disable it when im not gaming and fire it up when i was. However it dose mess with your desktop icons competely so if you have alot of them like me, you will find it a pain.

Monolyth
08-04-06, 11:56 AM
I run my 7900GTX's in SLI and a Matrox G550 PCIe x1 with SLI gaming on one monitor and I surf on another. The Matrox is a bit weak (but excellent 2d), so I've recently purchased a HIS x1300 (ATI) PCIe x1 to replace the Matrox, I have not yet installed it, but I doubt any serious issues will arise.

TWO THINGS TO REMEMBER
1. So far I've had no luck running this configuration with any of the 9x.xx series drivers. Only 8x.xx seem to work (currently running 85.96).
2. Do not buy an nVidia based card, the drivers force all additional "nVidia" chips to disable themselves when SLI mode is enabled.

This would not be a problem if they would fix the driver to allow 2D on a 2nd monitor while in SLI, which has been on their list for what 2 years now?

SquireSCA
08-04-06, 12:36 PM
I run my 7900GTX's in SLI and a Matrox G550 PCIe x1 with SLI gaming on one monitor and I surf on another. The Matrox is a bit weak (but excellent 2d), so I've recently purchased a HIS x1300 (ATI) PCIe x1 to replace the Matrox, I have not yet installed it, but I doubt any serious issues will arise.

TWO THINGS TO REMEMBER
1. So far I've had no luck running this configuration with any of the 9x.xx series drivers. Only 8x.xx seem to work (currently running 85.96).
2. Do not buy an nVidia based card, the drivers force all additional "nVidia" chips to disable themselves when SLI mode is enabled.

This would not be a problem if they would fix the driver to allow 2D on a 2nd monitor while in SLI, which has been on their list for what 2 years now?

How did you enable SLI with the Matrox card installed?? Seriously, that is my issue right there. I will gladly return this FX5500 for a different card if it will work without giving me too much trouble.

Please report back on how that X1300 install goes.

The other reason for getting the GX2 is that I plan to move to a Core2 Duo rig this fall, and the Intel chipset does not support SLI, I would want a single card solution anyway.

Also, in rereading your post, I see that you mention to *not* have an NVidia card for the second display? That if I go with an ATI or Matrox card, then the NVidia drivers won't give me a problem?

SquireSCA
08-04-06, 01:04 PM
I did try this though. I pulled the FX5500 out, booted, turned on SLI and then shut down, added the FX5500 back in and rebooted.

I have both displays up and running, even when gaming. Now, I cannot go into the SLI settings, it is grayed out, telling me to remove all non SLI cards to enable. But all other tabs are available.

But, I ran 3DMark05, and got just under 12,000 with the CPU at stock speed, video clocks at 450/1.3Ghz.

I think that SLI is enabled, because a single GTX at those speeds should not be over 10,000 points in that benchmark. ANd when I play Far Cry at 1680x1050 4xAA 8xAniso and all settings maxxed, it is very smooth, which also would be too much for a single GTX card.

J-Mag
08-04-06, 01:36 PM
I did try this though. I pulled the FX5500 out, booted, turned on SLI and then shut down, added the FX5500 back in and rebooted.

I have both displays up and running, even when gaming. Now, I cannot go into the SLI settings, it is grayed out, telling me to remove all non SLI cards to enable. But all other tabs are available.

Interesting way to get around the SLI lock. I am curious what driver set were you using for this though?

SquireSCA
08-04-06, 01:42 PM
Interesting way to get around the SLI lock. I am curious what driver set were you using for this though?

91.31 WHQL

Monolyth
08-04-06, 02:56 PM
Can you run some benchmarks to verify that SLI is indeed still enabled?

Intel will get SLI soon, nVidia & Intel have met to discuss various "strategies" to prevent the new AMD/ATI beast from taking over hehe ;) Expect nVidia to release Intel SLI drivers by the time AMD releases the 4x4.

Also you can download 85.96 modded drivers that enable SLI on any chipset, I plan to use them for my 975x Conroe board, which I will be putting together tonight! w00T!

SquireSCA
08-04-06, 03:24 PM
3DMark06 does not run on this machine, it hangs at the splash screen and just sits there.

3DMark05 runs, and running a pretty much stock system, all I did was bumb the video RAM to 1.3Ghz, and I got 11,856

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=2141168

My best score prior to that was 12,986 points, with the CPU overclocked to 2.5Ghz, and the video card clocked higher, which accounts for the 1,000 point difference.

But if it was not in SLI, I would be in the 7,000-8,000 range, not pushing 12,000, no?