PDA

View Full Version : Admin. services crashing

grey_1
08-04-06, 04:51 AM
The family 'puter developed a really weird problem. There's 3 accounts on this machine and on one account only anything at all that has to do with any svcs like msconfig, admin>svcs, disc mngmt or installing a new game even, the window crashes after about 10 seconds.

The other 2 accounts work just fine, no problem. The event log isn't even showing any problems. This rig is scanned regularly for adware, spyware, viruses and otherwise pretty tightly maintained.

Running XPhome all updates installed
amd xp2800
abit nf7-s
6600gt

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! TIA

saturnotaku
08-04-06, 06:20 AM
How is it crashing? Copy down and post any error messages, or take a picture and post it.

grey_1
08-04-06, 06:41 AM
How is it crashing? Copy down and post any error messages, or take a picture and post it.

Thanks for the reply sat, that's just it, no error messages, nothing. As soon as I move the cursor over the box, say svcs or msconfig, it just disappears. I tried installing a game on that account and after it just says "game not properly installed - please re-install"

Either of the other accounts I can do anyting I ought to be able to, including installing the game.

I'm almost wondering if deleting and recreating her account would be the easiest fix..but with out knowing the cause?? weird for sure.

retsam
08-04-06, 09:11 AM
go into the event viewer and see if there are any logs associated to this error look for times of crach ect ect... then come back and post.

grey_1
08-04-06, 01:46 PM
go into the event viewer and see if there are any logs associated to this error look for times of crach ect ect... then come back and post.

No logs whatever. I cleared all logs after the first try to be sure I wasn't just missing it, but after reproducing the problem two more times the event viewer was still empty under apps and system. security just shows "success audit".

This is maddening, and just confined to the one account. Even a sys. restore doesn't fix it and I don't even get the "blah blah has encountered a problem and needs to close" message. Thanks again for any ideas guys.