PDA

View Full Version : 7950GX2 questions

skoprowski
08-04-06, 10:16 AM
I am thinking of replacing my 2 7900GTs for one 7950GX2. I have a few quick questions I was trying to get an answer for in regards to the SLI functioning of the 7950GX2. Is is correct you cannot enable the SLI graphic line (that shows if SLI is working) with one 7950GX2? I kind of find this handy with a SLI setup to see if it actually working. Can you set up SLI profiles with a 7950GX2 like you can with 2 seperate cards in SLI? Are these just driver limitations that can be corrected?

Thanks,

Scott

seppuka
08-04-06, 11:38 AM
Well, with my initial experience with a mobo that was not on the 'list' of supported mobos I found that it (7950GX2) only ran at 'half' speed. As to say, it was not running correctly.
A 3Dmark0X test would quickly determin if things are runnig the way they are supposed to.
Now with my new 'supported' mobo the 3Dmark06 number can be seen as dramatically higher than a single (7900) card, therefore one can conclude that the 7950GX2 is actually running correctly.

Dr.Nick
08-04-06, 03:09 PM
I am thinking of replacing my 2 7900GTs for one 7950GX2. I have a few quick questions I was trying to get an answer for in regards to the SLI functioning of the 7950GX2. Is is correct you cannot enable the SLI graphic line (that shows if SLI is working) with one 7950GX2? I kind of find this handy with a SLI setup to see if it actually working. Can you set up SLI profiles with a 7950GX2 like you can with 2 seperate cards in SLI? Are these just driver limitations that can be corrected?

Thanks,

Scott

You cant use the SLI indicators in games because officially it's not SLI but Multi-gpu with a single 7950. However, you can make profiles like in true SLI and it works just like true SLI.

K007
08-05-06, 05:42 AM
You cant use the SLI indicators in games because officially it's not SLI but Multi-gpu with a single 7950. However, you can make profiles like in true SLI and it works just like true SLI.

...erm..if i were you i wouldn't just say that to everyone with 100% sure..

The 7950 dosen't show the 3d load balancing bards unless you go quad..as for the sli profiles..well..they are just a mystery as well..you pick single gpu..you get speed > GTX..so i know multi gpu is working..if i pick sfr..perfermance is down the drain..worse than GTX..same with AFR..but AFR is a little faster than SFR..while single GPU > all.

Also the old CP dosen't even show alot of the functions on the GX2..no SLI settings to pick..

Card is great..it gets hot..so you have to get some fan in there and find some way to drop it on the card..this will drop the temps alot...but if i were you..i would wait and see the x1950xtx and see how well it goes up and then look up heat....if heat wise..its the same..then i would get the GX2..but if not..then the x1950 might be a better choice..these cards are really really hot also the ati one will for sure have hdr/aa..which is pretty sweet on oblivion..my friends x1900 with oblivion..hdr/aa..dam..so nice.

Mike S.
08-05-06, 08:53 AM
Yup they get hot in Quad, my dad had a custom case built with 2 top exhaust fans to help with the heat for me.

Blacklash
08-05-06, 09:19 PM
7950 GX2 in an "unsupported" Asus P5W DH Deluxe here:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=74516

All I did was install the driver and set it correctly like you would with any mobo.