PDA

View Full Version : Random Computer Restarts

Karrde
08-04-06, 11:17 AM
Hey everyone,

I have a bit of a problem. Recently, I bought a new graphics card (a Sapphire Radeon x800 GTO) and a new power supply to go along with it (Thermaltake 430w PSU). Originally, I had just installed the new graphics card without the new PSU, but after leaving my computer on for a few hours I had noticed that my monitor had lost signal and that while everything appeared to be running inside the case, the computer was not on.

So, I bought a new PSU to fix a problem that I had been suspecting for awhile now (I believe its the reason my old graphics card died). I installed the PSU with no problems, and decided to leave my computer on over night to see if any problems came up again. Sure enough, about 4 hours later, I noticed that the computer had reset itself (it was at the login screen for windows XP).

I am starting to think that a) the graphics card is bad, b) the power supply is either not putting out enough power or is making my system unstable, c) the power supply cord is bad (I used the one that came with the PSU, figuring it was newer and better), or d) my system can't properly go into hibernation mode (which I have it set on to happen after 2 hours) and is acting strangely due to maybe a piece of hardware that is keeping it from happening.

I'm not really sure what the problem is. I thought it was the power supply, but I really do not know now. I haven't used the system for a long period of time yet (thats just how weekdays are), so hopefully later today I'll be able to use it for a few hours and see if it resets on me. I'm going to turn off the auto-reset option in the recovery settings to see if I'm getting some sort of STOP message, but I'm at work currently so that'll have to wait until later tonight.

If anyone can give me any sort of feedback or suggestions, I'd really appreciate it. Fortunately, both the graphics card and PSU are exchangeable (yay Newegg!), but if its just something simplier then I'd rather no go through the trouble. Thanks!

2.0 GHz Pentium 4 processor
768 MB Kingston RAM
Sapphire Radeon x800 GTO
120GB HD
80GB HD
DVD Burner
Windows XP Home Edition

SH64
08-04-06, 02:56 PM
It looks to me its either (a) or (d).
a friend had the same problem but with screensaver rather than hibernation & thought its the PSU , changed it & nothing happened. then i suggested he turn off screensaver & since then he never had problems.

as for (a) : try another video card & see what happens.

saturnotaku
08-04-06, 06:35 PM
If the computer is restarting itself, check your system event viewer for any error messages/bugchecks.

XServer
08-09-06, 05:41 PM
check event viewer see what driver is crashing it sound like the video card may be bad or a IRQ CONFLICT with something need error code to beable to help.