PDA

View Full Version : Water artifacting/corruption - is this just on my machine?

Nihility
08-04-06, 01:51 PM
I recently bought a new graphics card and now when I play Oblivion I get a weird corruption on any water in the game. It flickers and has lines, kinda hard to discribe. It's just the water.

Running on a PD930 2GB RAM Geforce 7900GT (giga-byte), winXP pro.

Here's a vid of the problem:
video (http://e.nihility.googlepages.com/Oblivionartifacts.avi) (600k)
and a pic:
http://e.nihility.googlepages.com/Oblivionwaterproblem.jpg

Running 3Dmark06 I don't get any artifacting that I can notice.
GPU doesn't run hot and has a zalman cooler on it. (GV-NX79T256DP-RH)
Nothing on my system is overclocked.

Oblivion running with latest patch, fresh install no mods and no tweaks. No programs running in the backround. Other games show no problems. Fresh XP installation too.

Could this be a hardware problem?
What should I check for? Any tests I can run to reproduce the problem outside of the game to verify this is indeed a hardware problem?

Edit: Happens both in ultra high and the lowest res, even with water ripples and reflections off.

glObalist
08-07-06, 04:08 AM
One important part of the equation is missing - which drivers?

Nihility
08-07-06, 05:40 AM
just about any drivers.
I tried 91.31
the 91.33 beta

and a bunch of others.

At this point I have it pretty much pegged as a hardware problem. I'm not exactly sure what's wrong but when I run ShaderMark and turn on HDR i'll get green dots randomly apearing on screen.
Same thing happens with any glare settings while running rthdribl v1.2 and stops when I disable glare.

It's probably a defective card, as it's not overheating and not overclocked. I don't know why it doesn't happen in 3Dmark06 but I assume it's coz they use some sort of costum shaders and not the Microsoft reference shaders for DX9.0c.

Any ideas on how to pinpoint the problem?
I'm probably gonna have to return it as it is under warranty.

nekrosoft13
08-07-06, 07:27 AM
delete the obilivion folder in documents\my games

Nihility
08-07-06, 09:27 AM
"delete the obilivion folder in documents\my games"

Did nothing.

CaptNKILL
08-07-06, 12:03 PM
Ooo... that looks sweet :D

In all seriousness though, if you are getting artifacting in other programs too, it really sounds like your 7900GT might be defective. If you have another pixel shader capable video card to throw in there to test some games, you might want to give that a try.

Lodowa
12-09-06, 07:28 AM
The same problem here

World of Warcraft random freeze.

P4 2.8
MS Win Xp sp2
GF 7900 GT GV-NX79T255DP-RH
PSU 560 Watt Chieftec

All drivers - latest, no o/c. I was trying all, reinstall all, new/old drivers etc.

Only way to make my game run normal is to add "-opengl" to WoW.exe (7-14 fps but game is stable, no freeze).

I don't know what can i do

SH64
12-09-06, 11:33 AM
WOW runs under OpenGL :wtf:

as for the original problem i recommend trying FEAR. see if you get any artifacts there. if so then most likely your card is defective.