PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 HD DVD add on. *pics*

Pages : [1] 2

Mr_LoL
08-05-06, 02:13 AM
If this has already been posted, please lock.
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b61/houssaminator/198199725_b588041e7e.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b61/houssaminator/198199140_2912731477.jpg
http://img370.imageshack.us/img370/4863/hddvdrc1.jpg

Peoples-Agent
08-05-06, 04:02 AM
I've never seen those before m8, cheers for that.
I thought they decided they weren't going to be making one of these in the end?

If they did, I would definately buy one to go with the HDTV I got in the pipeline.

1337_Like_ThaT
08-05-06, 05:02 AM
It is official and will be released later this year to compete with PS3 BlueRay

http://gear.ign.com/articles/718/718328p1.html

Peoples-Agent
08-05-06, 06:32 AM
Cracking stuff, i'll defo pick one of those up then.

Knot3D
08-05-06, 08:41 AM
Lol. it almost looks like a Bible book on a pedestal

npras42
08-05-06, 08:46 AM
Why is it so big and what's with the antenna?

Bad_Boy
08-05-06, 08:49 AM
Why is it so big and what's with the antenna?
Not sure about the big part, maybe it's the angle.

But the antenna is the wifi adaptor for the 360. Since the hd-dvd drive uses the 360's usb port for the wifi adaptor, they added a usb port on the drive so you can still use it.

GamerGuyX
08-05-06, 10:28 AM
The pictures themselves are new but pictures of the 360 HD DVD drive are very, very old news.

evilchris
08-05-06, 11:05 AM
I recommend buying a real HD-DVD player and not this piece of crap.

Peoples-Agent
08-05-06, 11:28 AM

No chance of some games making use of the HD-DVD format then?
As in bigger disk size, bigger games.

|MaguS|
08-05-06, 11:31 AM
No chance of some games making use of the HD-DVD format then?
As in bigger disk size, bigger games.

No, MS has already stated that games will never be on HD-DVD due to splitting the market. Developers would also probably shy away even if they were allowed since it would be a risk to use since not every X360 owner will have an HD-DVD Drive.

LiquidX
08-05-06, 11:36 AM
They could have made it a little better looking. Cant wait to see the quality and the price on it.

Mr_LoL
08-05-06, 11:39 AM
Do Microsoft plan on integrating the player into future revisions of the 360? Cant find that info anywhere.

|MaguS|
08-05-06, 11:55 AM
Do Microsoft plan on integrating the player into future revisions of the 360? Cant find that info anywhere.

According to MS, no... According to the rumors... yes...

Edge
08-05-06, 12:16 PM
It is a real HD-DVD player. And I doubt it would be much worse than a stand-alone player would be.

oldsk00l
08-05-06, 12:48 PM

It's all in the software, the 360 has the computational power to trounce every HD player out there. The question is in whether or not the development and effort will be done for it. Given how the 360 stacks up against other standalone dvd players though I think it will be quite nice.

GamerGuyX
08-05-06, 07:58 PM
It's all in the software, the 360 has the computational power to trounce every HD player out there. The question is in whether or not the development and effort will be done for it. Given how the 360 stacks up against other standalone dvd players though I think it will be quite nice.

The 360's DVD playback PQ doesn't come anywhere close to a high-end Denon, Onkyo, Marantz, etc.

S.I.N
08-05-06, 08:05 PM
The 360's DVD playback PQ doesn't come anywhere close to a high-end Denon, Onkyo, Marantz, etc.

It doesnt cost a grand either. It looks good on my brothers set though vga looks better. More than passable.

oldsk00l
08-05-06, 10:07 PM

I should have clarified, holds well on its own for stand alone dvd players in its price range.

Even still, it's all in the software, hardware-wise the 360 blows those completely out of the water.

For $400 a stand alone rivals, but not is better than, a 360 for playing dvd's.

evilchris
08-07-06, 12:22 AM
It is a real HD-DVD player. And I doubt it would be much worse than a stand-alone player would be.

Not a HD-DVD fan are you?

Explain how the X360 HD-DVD drive will send lossless DTS-HD or Dolby True-HD to my receiver. Thanks. The adanced sound support of the HD formats is equally as important as the improved picture.

evilchris
08-07-06, 12:24 AM
This is false.

Computational power is NOT WHAT MAKES a good movie player. Without typing a 5,000 word explanation just take my word for it I've been in this hobby a LONG time.

Please explain though why the X360 has GREATLY NOTICABLE problems with DVD playback versus ANY decent standalone DVD player! Yes JUST DVD!

evilchris
08-07-06, 12:25 AM
It doesnt cost a grand either. It looks good on my brothers set though vga looks better. More than passable.
You've apparently never owned a good display then. Run an X360 DVD through a decent display and you'll see it's a game machine not a movie player.

evilchris
08-07-06, 12:27 AM
I should have clarified, holds well on its own for stand alone dvd players in its price range.

Even still, it's all in the software, hardware-wise the 360 blows those completely out of the water.

For $400 a stand alone rivals, but not is better than, a 360 for playing dvd's.

For $400 a standalone ABSOLUTELY DESTROYS an X360 in playing DVD's. What kind of crappy TV's do you guys run?

Software has NOTHING TO DO WITH IT. It's about discrete A/V blocks, power transformers, suspended mechanicals. If you have some cheap **** TV you won't see a differerence. Run a 70" Qualia 006 like me and you will see a MASSIVE difference.

evilchris
08-07-06, 12:32 AM
Hey GamerGuy:

Why buy this:

http://usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3127.asp

When you can just use your l33t XBOX 360 DVD PLAYBACK!!!

rofl at people who have no clue
DVD-5910CI

$3,800.00

Our flagship DVD-5910CI, now with 1080p HDMI video output and Denon Link III, showcases the culmination of pro-grade processing, cutting-edge digital connectivity and advanced vibration-resistant construction to deliver the highest picture and sound quality ever developed. The DVD-5910CI uses the finest 10-bit I/P converter, capable of performing one trillion operations per second, to not only dramatically improve motion detection but also accurately detect and correct lines on a per-pixel basis to effectively avoid “jaggies.”
The DVD-5910CI is the second version of the world’s first DVD player to integrate 10-bit Precision Video Scaling™. The scaler executes optimum conversion to suit the output to the independent HDMI and DVI transmitters. Other high-end video features include 10-bit Pixel Image Correction, an ultra-sophisticated contour correction circuit, and Analog Device dual discrete 216 MHz/14-bit video DACs. The combined result of this breakthrough video processing is a dramatic improvement to your overall viewing experience – clean, blur-free movement, true-to-life colors and contours; and deeper, richer detail – a videophile’s dream come true.

Meticulous attention to multi-channel high resolution audio allows the DVD-5910CI to reach new sonic heights. Advanced processing that includes five 192 kHz/24-bit DACs allow you to play either stereo, 5.1-channel SACDs or DVD-Audio discs in a breathtakingly lifelike experience.

Our engineers have thrown conventional wisdom in DVD player design out the window in order to create the world’s finest home entertainment source component. The end result is a uniquely designed universal player that brings new meaning to home entertainment quality, flexibility and performance.

I am sure Microsoft innovated in the same passion and care when "engineering" X360 DVD playback.

This time it matters. HD-DVD ONLY SHOWS it's glory on HIGH END DISPLAYS. Those of you with some POS 42" LCD HDTV won't see **** of a difference.

Edge
08-07-06, 01:15 AM

Not a HD-DVD fan are you?
Coming from someone who's basing his opinion of an HD-DVD player before he even has seen it? If you like it that much, why don't you look at it before you judge it?

......Explain how the X360 HD-DVD drive will send lossless DTS-HD or Dolby True-HD to my receiver. Thanks.
Through an HDMI cable, same as any other HD-DVD decoder. With HD-DVD, the player itself is responsible for even less than they were with DVDs, since pretty much all they're doing is reading a format and sending it through the output, pixel-for-pixel and bit-for-bit. Unlike DVD players, the quality difference between a "high end" and "low end" HD-DVD player will be minimal at best. Although that could've been avoided with DVDs if they didn't use such a lossy format in a resolution that doesn't scale very well.

I do have to say that marketing BS has shown that you can sell any product with the right words, though. Man, $3,800 for a DVD player...one born every minute...