PDA

View Full Version : Devs are cancelling PS3 games?

Pages : [1] 2

ENU291
08-05-06, 05:19 PM
I have no idea if this is true or not!!

http://www.technophilia.org/2006/07/list-of-cancelled-ps3-games.html

|MaguS|
08-05-06, 05:30 PM
Theseis, Condemned, Splinter Cell and Oblivion were never officially stated to be heading to the PS3. So those can not be claimed to have been "canceled" since they never began to be developed.

Killing Day has not been confirmed to have been cancelled so its in limbo still. The only official titles to have been cancelled are Endless Saga and Smackdown 07.

Retarded sites like these help aid to rumors and just spread of false information... I love how a magazine or a BS Website (Total Videogames?) are held higher then words from the developers (in the case of Theseis).

Track7games would like to clarify that we never cancelled something that did not exist in the first place. (On the "cancellation of theseis for the PS3)

toxikneedle
08-05-06, 05:51 PM
Wow SC: DA isn't coming to the PS3? That's a surprise to me... I can't believe Ubi isn't even going to outsource it to someone else.

But yeah I agree with Magus, people always magnify small things that don't really indicate anything solid. Same thing was happening to the xbox 360. I remember that 1UP article comparing xbox 360 to the Dreamcast and how serious people took it like it was some major insider scoop on xbox 360's future failure.

S.I.N
08-05-06, 08:13 PM
FF, MGS 4 says hi. PS3 has enough coming to not need any of those and with games like Splinter Cell there just waiting for it to sell a boat load on the 360 first because game like that sell big.

oldsk00l
08-06-06, 12:29 AM
FF, MGS 4 says hi. PS3 has enough coming to not need any of those and with games like Splinter Cell there just waiting for it to sell a boat load on the 360 first because game like that sell big.

To the PS3's credit, Sony has enough first party talent to just make their library on their own, Nintendo style.

I get the feeling that's where PS3 is going to end up as though, primarily first party supported.

H3avyM3tal
08-06-06, 04:23 AM
Endless saga is a no-go? Damn, that looked good... Is that game coming to the 360 or the pc?

Oh, I read they canceled it for both the ps3 and the pc... shame...

BioHazZarD
08-06-06, 05:40 AM
No wonder the PS3 will be awful expensive and its still uncertain how popular it will be so they choose Wii instead and i fully understand why they do that.

Mr_LoL
08-06-06, 09:08 AM
I think some developers are just waiting to see how sales of the console pan out before fully comitting to the system. Even with the price, I still think the console will do well. Third party support should be as strong as the ps2's.

dwhjr77
08-06-06, 09:49 AM
I think some developers are just waiting to see how sales of the console pan out before fully comitting to the system. Even with the price, I still think the console will do well. Third party support should be as strong as the ps2's.

What I'm hoping is that we see more cross platform games. If PS3 doesn't give a good install base in the first year, dev's will look to MS to recoup costs.

|MaguS|
08-06-06, 09:51 AM
What I'm hoping is that we see more cross platform games. If PS3 doesn't give a good install base in the first year, dev's will look to MS to recoup costs.

Thats what I don't want to see... I want more exclusive and unique titles... not companies just throwing the same crap out there for every system.

ENU291
08-06-06, 11:01 AM
Thats what I don't want to see... I want more exclusive and unique titles... not companies just throwing the same crap out there for every system.
Unfortunately the cost of developing "next-gen" titles is so high that most devs will likely release their games on as many platforms as possible to try and recoop as much money as possible.

|MaguS|
08-06-06, 11:07 AM
Unfortunately the cost of developing "next-gen" titles is so high that most devs will likely release their games on as many platforms as possible to try and recoop as much money as possible.

See now if developers actually focused on making a high quality title though they wouldnt have to worry about multiconsole . Games like MGS, FF, Halo and even RE are such high sellers that they dont need to be ported around to recoup costs. I would like to see fewer titles come out from a developer if it would guarentee higher quality titles.

oldsk00l
08-06-06, 12:14 PM
See now if developers actually focused on making a high quality title though they wouldnt have to worry about multiconsole . Games like MGS, FF, Halo and even RE are such high sellers that they dont need to be ported around to recoup costs. I would like to see fewer titles come out from a developer if it would guarentee higher quality titles.

I agree with you on this one, from what I've seen it's the slowest console that tends to have a negative effect on the title's potential as you scale up on the hardware.

Prince of Persia is a perfect example, they tweaked the PS2 version marvelously, but in the end all we got on the xbox version was some extra bloom effects. Or Tomb Raider Legends, they did NOT utilize the 360 near as far as the could have with it. The money would have been better spent optimizing it for whatever platform they'd just decide to stick to.

|MaguS|
08-06-06, 12:22 PM
Prince of Persia is a perfect example, they tweaked the PS2 version marvelously, but in the end all we got on the xbox version was some extra bloom effects.

So don't agree with this... PoP on the Xbox looked better on all ends when compared to the PS2. The PS2 version had Bloom but the colors weren't as vibrant and the Xbox's models had higher polygons... oh and lets not forget the quicker loading, AA and better textures.

PoP was not a sloppy port at all... if any version got shafted it would be the Gamecube which just was utter ****.

Now the PC version just spanked them all...

oldsk00l
08-06-06, 12:34 PM
So don't agree with this... PoP on the Xbox looked better on all ends when compared to the PS2. The PS2 version had Bloom but the colors weren't as vibrant and the Xbox's models had higher polygons... oh and lets not forget the quicker loading, AA and better textures.

PoP was not a sloppy port at all... if any version got shafted it would be the Gamecube which just was utter ****.

Now the PC version just spanked them all...

The two thrones is what I was referring to. I was not impressed across various versions, same for warrior within.

|MaguS|
08-06-06, 12:38 PM
The two thrones is what I was referring to. I was not impressed across various versions, same for warrior within.

Ok, Should have stated that, lol.

thor1182
08-07-06, 03:31 PM
As far as developing for these next systems:

I would think that other than the new controller interface to play with, the Wii is very similar to the GC, so if you have that system figured out, the Wii will not be that much of a stretch other than the new controller.

The 360 API wise sho0uld be very close to working with DX, which and dev studio that is used to Win development should be able to do without much trouble. The trick comes in working with the crapy single task, but excellent multi task CPUs the 360 has.

The PS3 is the only real challenge to program for. I would think you have to rethink how you approach the basic processing your engine does to get it to work on the PS3 optimally. This may not be true, but its what I get from reading what the devs are saying about PS3 ports.

|MaguS|
08-07-06, 04:27 PM
The PS3 is the only real challenge to program for. I would think you have to rethink how you approach the basic processing your engine does to get it to work on the PS3 optimally. This may not be true, but its what I get from reading what the devs are saying about PS3 ports.

Well to code for the PS3 all you need to know is OpenGL. What takes time is coding unique code for the SPU and SPE. The compiler does alot of the work but really thinking about how to use these functions is what takes time.

evilchris
08-07-06, 04:44 PM
I don't think anyone here knows a damn thing about coding for a PS3.

mrrolf
08-07-06, 05:15 PM
I don't think anyone here knows a damn thing about coding for a PS3.

I bet there are a few devs that occationally post in here.

thor1182
08-07-06, 05:21 PM
well when devs have come out and said its hard to code for/a lot different than the other platforms, its not to hard to make a SWAG at what coding for it is like.

ENU291
08-07-06, 06:27 PM
Well to code for the PS3 all you need to know is OpenGL. What takes time is coding unique code for the SPU and SPE. The compiler does alot of the work but really thinking about how to use these functions is what takes time.
Do you think that the Cell compiler is robust enough that this early stage to produce efficient code? As per using OpenGL (AL), that's fine for graphics but the Cell processor does everything else (AI, audio, management etc). Devs need to know more then just a few APIs to produce a good game on the PS3.

|MaguS|
08-07-06, 08:38 PM
Do you think that the Cell compiler is robust enough that this early stage to produce efficient code? As per using OpenGL (AL), that's fine for graphics but the Cell processor does everything else (AI, audio, management etc). Devs need to know more then just a few APIs to produce a good game on the PS3.

I think it depend s on the developers, I have seen some stuff that will blow your mind but then again thats awhile off considing its time in developmment. I think Resistnece ins a good dislplay of what can be accomplished on the PS3 and it will only get better from then on.

Peoples-Agent
08-07-06, 09:35 PM
Magus, your so desperate for the PS3 to do well it's worrying and funny at the same time dude.

If I diverted that much attention to my women, I might be marriage material by now. PMSL

I don't mind either way, I just know the XB360 is panned to get all or most of the mentioned games for the PS3
that interest me, so i'll get what's around first and cheaper.

|MaguS|
08-07-06, 09:40 PM
Magus, your so desperate for the PS3 to do well it's worrying and funny at the same time dude.

If I diverted that much attention to my women, I might be marriage material by now. PMSL

I don't mind either way, I just know the XB360 is panned to get all or most of the mentioned games for the PS3
that interest me, so i'll get what's around first and cheaper.

yes

(no clue whats going on)