PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft and Nintendo sued over Controller Designs

crainger
08-07-06, 12:51 AM
http://palgn.com.au/article.php?id=5052&guid=1154916307

Everyone wants a slice :thumbdwn:

S.I.N
08-07-06, 12:59 AM
The patent system is so flawed. Basically anyone can patent anything and not do a damn thing with for the 20 years it lasts while trying to crush innovation or in this case get rich off it for nothing. Also where is Sega and Sony in this suit? All these controllers use the same thing in away.

saturnotaku
08-07-06, 05:07 AM
And where were these dopes back in 2001 when the original Xbox was released? How about when the first Playstation hit the streets?

Idiots. :retard:

Toss3
08-07-06, 06:13 AM
The patent system is so flawed. Basically anyone can patent anything and not do a damn thing with for the 20 years it lasts while trying to crush innovation or in this case get rich off it for nothing. Also where is Sega and Sony in this suit? All these controllers use the same thing in away.
Bet sony paid 'em off, especially after the previous lawsuits concerning their controller. Btw. Has anyone even heard of anascape before, or are they just a bunch of losers trying to earn some cash?

Clyde_TTU
08-07-06, 11:59 AM
When I was reading that article one thing stayed in my mind - What about Sony? All console have similiar controllers and perhaps hardware too. So the fact that Sony might have paid them off is plausable.

LiquidX
08-07-06, 12:30 PM
I wouldnt be surprised if it was Sony that reminded them they held these patents because it has been maybe ten year since controllers like this have been around.

npras42
08-07-06, 02:36 PM
Erm... I don't know about where you live but here in the UK Sony don't make or sell controllers for their PS2 anymore. Yes they could still be sued, but I totally understand why Nintendo and MS are being sued by this company to start with and not Sony.

Sony have already been found guilty and fined because of their controllers. No judge is ever going to find Sony guilty of the same thing twice and force them to pay damages to two different companies.

MS and Nintendo have never been found guilty of anything. MS paid off and then bought shares in the company that sued them...

What I don't understand is how this Anascape and Immersion both have patents on vibration tech in their controllers.

EDIT: Whoops I didnt read the article properly.. This doesn't have anything to do with vibration tech... More to do with analog buttons and sticks etc.

Edge
08-07-06, 04:00 PM
What the hell...the Sega 3d analog pad had analog triggers back in 1996. How can these people be filing a lawsuit against Nintendo and Microsoft from a patent after 1999? Sega should get on the ball and sue that company that patented it for ripping off their idea.

Zelda_fan
08-07-06, 04:05 PM
please.... they do not have a chance in hell of winning this.