PDA

View Full Version : advice needed on E6300 and 7950gx2

sammy68uk
08-07-06, 11:02 AM
Hi everyone, this is my first post and it's a long one so sorry :)

I've upgraded my PC with new mobo, RAM, CPU + Cooler and graphics card spec as below.

Asus P5B ( vanilla, NOT delux )
2 x 1Gb Corsair XMS2 DDR2 for 2Gb total
Intel Core 2 Duo E6300
Nvidia 7950gx2

Now, I had a lot of problems even getting the thing set up. I'm pretty au fait with PC builds, having done a lot in the past though it's been a while now. If anyone is interested in them, I'll go into more detail later :)

My current problem is this. I dont think this is as fast as it should be. I play COD2 single and multi player, and with the settings max'd, I get around 10 to 15 fps outside, and around 30 upwards inside. I've done a lot of playing around, and looked at a lot of websites to investigate ( including this one... ) but nothing that suggests a definitive cause. I've pasted my 3dmark 06 results below, but the thing is, I have no idea if they are good or not. Similar rigs but overclocked score almost twice as much, which seems strange to me.

3DMark Score 4610 3DMarks

SM 2.0 Score 1884 Marks

SM 3.0 Score 1891 Marks

CPU Score 1633 Marks

Detailed Test Results

Graphics Tests
1 - Return to Proxycon 15.718 FPS

2 - Firefly Forest 15.674 FPS

CPU Tests
CPU1 - Red Valley 0.515 FPS
CPU2 - Red Valley 0.828 FPS

HDR Tests
1 - Canyon Flight (SM 3.0) 20.679 FPS
2 - Deep Freeze (SM 3.0) 17.131 FPS

Any suggestions ? Am I expecting too much ? Are the scores too low ?

Any help would be greatfully accepted :)

Mark.

Lfctony
08-07-06, 11:19 AM
The GX2 is definitely not in SLI mode, I get 5500ish with a 1900XT, and your card eats mine for breakfast. But your score seems in line with a single 7900GT... Make sure you've installed the latest drivers for both the 7950 and your motherboard. Other than that you'll need owners of 7950s here to tell what to mess with... :( The bios might be at fault as well. You might need an update to support the 7950 fully.

jabloomf1230
08-07-06, 12:17 PM
Make sure you're in both Single Monitor and Multi-GPU modes in the "new" NVidia Control Panel. If that isn't the problem, then unstall the video driver, clean the nVidia registry settings with Drive Cleaner Pro (search this forum or use Google if your need to download it) and reboot Windows into safe mode. Clean the registry again with Drive Cleaner Pro. Then reboot into normal startup mode, cancel any automatic attempt by Windows to install a driver for your 7950 and install the 91.33 driver set.

BTW, the most recent BIOS for your motherboard is Version 0211.

ftp://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket775/P5B/P5B-0211.zip

sammy68uk
08-07-06, 02:16 PM
Make sure you're in both Single Monitor and Multi-GPU modes in the "new" NVidia Control Panel. If that isn't the problem, then unstall the video driver, clean the nVidia registry settings with Drive Cleaner Pro (search this forum or use Google if your need to download it) and reboot Windows into safe mode. Clean the registry again with Drive Cleaner Pro. Then reboot into normal startup mode, cancel any automatic attempt by Windows to install a driver for your 7950 and install the 91.33 driver set.

BTW, the most recent BIOS for your motherboard is Version 0211.

ftp://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket775/P5B/P5B-0211.zip

Well,

Tried all that, and still no improvement... I'm really scratching my head here. Is there something that will say right away whether its running is SLI ? The Nvida Control panel says that multi GPU is enabled, but it's always said that ;) I already had the 211 bios. I was getting a CPU ucode error and unable to boot till I upgraded, but thanks for thinking of it.

Thanks for the help thus far... I really appreciate it.

Mark.

XGas
08-07-06, 02:28 PM
*Heavy sigh* Whats your PSU(Power Supply Unit) Whats the brand and how the watt written on it(Most cheap a$$ brands LIE.)?
The 7950GX2 consumes more than 175watt, your PSU must be able to support than much, at least 27 amps @ 12volt with 2 rails.
Why everyone ignores the PSU??!?? its almost as important as the CPU!!!!

sammy68uk
08-07-06, 02:39 PM
*Heavy sigh* Whats your PSU(Power Supply Unit) Whats the brand and how the watt written on it(Most cheap a$$ brands LIE.)?
The 7950GX2 consumes more than 175watt, your PSU must be able to support than much, at least 27 amps @ 12volt with 2 rails.
Why everyone ignores the PSU??!?? its almost as important as the CPU!!!!

Dont sigh too much :) It's a 500W NorthQ one... upgraded that at the same time. I dont get any other problems that might indicate PSU issues, so I think that's not too likely to be the problem.

Thanks,

Mark.

K007
08-07-06, 04:36 PM
Your scores look like only 1 gpu is working. Reinstall the drivers with a clean driver clean and leave the driver defaults just run 3dmark again and see the effect.

sammy68uk
08-08-06, 02:21 PM
Your scores look like only 1 gpu is working. Reinstall the drivers with a clean driver clean and leave the driver defaults just run 3dmark again and see the effect.

Did all that previously... still no joy :(

On another note, the card came with two little PCB jumper things.. ( it was an OEM card so no manual etc... I know ! You get what you pay for ;) ) I assumed they were for setting it up in SLI since I couldnt see where they would go. I just had a look and I still cant, but is it possible that's my problem ?

I've also got a call out with the company I bought it from so I'll let you know if I hear anything :)

On another note, I'm overclocking a little now. Got the CPU up to 2Ghz without trouble, and so fave have done a 15% o/c on the gx2 with no ill effects :)

Cheers,

Mark.

anticitizenzero
08-08-06, 03:00 PM
Go to your bios and make sure your SLI settings are set to "auto". Also make sure you have your memory timings set correctly and the cpu fsb.

jabloomf1230
08-09-06, 10:54 AM
On another note, the card came with two little PCB jumper things.. ( it was an OEM card so no manual etc... I know ! You get what you pay for ;) ) I assumed they were for setting it up in SLI since I couldnt see where they would go. I just had a look and I still cant, but is it possible that's my problem ?

Some of the 7950s have a black plastic jumper block (or it could be a connector) on the outer PCB (The one with the DVI connectors). The jumper block is located on the top left corner of the board, if you look at the board, with the fan to the right. The BIOS version label is right next to the block. There are 3 pairs of 2 pins. What's it's for, I have no idea. Until you said that your OEM board came with jumpers, I just assumed the block was unused, as it is missing altogether on some the brands of the 7950. I wonder if anyone else here know what the block/connector is used for.

sammy68uk
08-09-06, 05:01 PM
Go to your bios and make sure your SLI settings are set to "auto". Also make sure you have your memory timings set correctly and the cpu fsb.

Yep, done all that... No better :(

I'm beginning to believe that there is a compatability issue between the Asus P5B's and the 7950Gx2. There seem to be a lot of references appearing to this type of problem in various forums. I'll be speaking with the supplier tomorrow to see about possibly changing the mobo. Dont want to wait till a bios update is release ( or not as the case may be... )

And for info... the little PCB's are for SLI purposes... they dont fit anywhere on the solo gx2.. I think they are designed to bridge between 2 Gx2s.

Cheers,

Mark.

sammy68uk
08-12-06, 04:02 AM
Latest update... Looking around the internet and based on resoponses from ASUS, I've RMA'd the P5B... It just isnt compatible, and ASUS cant give any estimate about bios updates.

Got a P5W DH coming on Monday, which Scan assure me is the board they use in their pre built systems with the same graphics card. All it needs is a BIOS flash.

Will let you know how it goes.

Mark.

sammy68uk
08-21-06, 02:40 PM
Latest update...

P5W DH arrived and fitted. Works like a dream. Noticed a difference immediately. With the E6300 + AC freezer 7 pro, 7950Gx2, 2Gb corsair XMS2 Twin memory, I'm able to overclosk this so easily it's untrue.

So far have the conroe up to 2.1Ghz. The 7950 is up to 575Mhz core / 1400Mhz mem... stable as anything. CPU occasionally reaches 48 centigrade, but it depends on how I set the Q-Fan setting in the Asus overclock thingy... 3DMark 2006 score is 8700.

So, in summary. Conroe + P5W DH + 7950gx2 works. I've flashed the mobo bios to the latest rev though it did seem to work okay with rev 703... ( came with this )

Thanks for all the suggestions folks.

Mark.

nV`andrew
08-21-06, 04:23 PM
Latest update...

P5W DH arrived and fitted. Works like a dream. Noticed a difference immediately. With the E6300 + AC freezer 7 pro, 7950Gx2, 2Gb corsair XMS2 Twin memory, I'm able to overclosk this so easily it's untrue.

So far have the conroe up to 2.1Ghz. The 7950 is up to 575Mhz core / 1400Mhz mem... stable as anything. CPU occasionally reaches 48 centigrade, but it depends on how I set the Q-Fan setting in the Asus overclock thingy... 3DMark 2006 score is 8700.

So, in summary. Conroe + P5W DH + 7950gx2 works. I've flashed the mobo bios to the latest rev though it did seem to work okay with rev 703... ( came with this )

Thanks for all the suggestions folks.

Mark.

glad its running smooth!
good luck with the new rig