PDA

View Full Version : Computer will not POST

Veer V2
08-08-06, 10:35 PM
Hey Guys,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but wasn't sure where else. So sorry if this is the wrong place.

Anyway, my PC ('bout a 1 and a half years old) will not start up. When i push the power button I get the LED light, but no action on the monitor (it switches to stand-by mode). No beeps or HD activity either.. :(

It was running fine this morning, and I made no hardware changes recently (several months ago i add a second stick of RAM and a new vid card). Before I had shut it down for the last time I had downloaded todays windows update for XP (requires shutdown to install). But since my PC will not even get past the POST stage, let alone Boot, i doubt this is a software problem.

Let me give you a run down on what action i have taken:

1) I checked the PSU and all connections. Seems fine. The little green light on the motherboard lights up as well, so the MB has power

2) Removed all components - Vid Card, RAM, HDs and replaced securely.

3) Even removed the heatsink from the Intel P4 chip, removed dust and replaced securely. Didn't touch the CPU though.

4) As a last resort, even removed the CMOS battery for 30 seconds and then replaced.

No change to the problem...

When i push the power on button the blue LED light comes on, and a small red LED light (which usually determines CPU/HD activity i guess) comes on and stays solid (no flickering).

The fan on the Vid card and CPU heatsink start and run at full speed.

If I start up without the extra pw cable attached to the BGF 600GS vid card, the card beeps loudly. Replace and the beep stops. The card seems fine.

I tried starting up with only one stick of RAM, then alternating the sticks, then with no sticks at all. No change, no beeps, nothing.

So i'm floored.

Any help would be appreciated. :(

AthlonXP1800
08-08-06, 10:50 PM
Your PC seem fine, I think you used your PC last time likely clicked stand by instead of turn off by mistake to shutdown your PC and switched off the power supply.

Next time when you press on power button and the PC went on stand by, then press stand by button to wake up your PC out of stand by mode. :)

Bearclaw
08-08-06, 11:12 PM
Your PC seem fine, I think you used your PC last time likely clicked stand by instead of turn off by mistake to shutdown your PC and switched off the power supply.

Next time when you press on power button and the PC went on stand by, then press stand by button to wake up your PC out of stand by mode. :)

if that doesn't work, try unplugging the PSU from everything (external, the wall, the PC), give it a few minutes and plug it back in. For some reaosn this has worked for multiple people in this forum. :p

NightFire
08-08-06, 11:43 PM
Hmm...the no beeps on POST thing is intruiging. Generally that means the speaker is unplugged, but, in your case, I'm pretty sure that means the mobo isn't transmitting a signal. Have you tried running with just the basics? Nothing in except a CPU, vid card, and one stick of ram.

Also, make sure there aren't any screws loose on the backside of the mobo. One may have fallen out and could be shorting some necessary circutry.

XServer
08-09-06, 05:09 PM
check the power supply first may have gone bad since your motherboards lite stay on soild and if not the mobo could have when bad.

Veer V2
08-10-06, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the advice guys, but still no luck.

I removed the mobo from the case, cleaned and dusted. Installed only the basics - CPU (with heatsink/fan), vid card, 1 stick RAM, and it still wouldn't post - no beeps either. The red IDE LED dosn't come on now (obviously becasue there is no HD attached).

I checked the speaker cable - it seemed fine.

I tried a different vid card - no change

Tired a different RAM stick - no chnage

Tried without a vid and without RAM - no beeps

My PSU is an Antec True 380S. It seems fine, atleast when I disconnet my power from my vid card, the card itself (BGF 6800gs) beeps. When i plug the power back in, the beep stops. And all the fans work...

So is it my Mobo or my CPU?:thumbdwn:

Hopefully it isn't my CPU becasue the only ones availble for S478s nowadays seem to be all Celerons. Ofcourse my Mobo is an ASUS, so if it failed after just a year and a half, that would suck too...

Roadhog
08-10-06, 10:56 PM
I dunno, But I just killed a system pretty close to yours. I spilt iced tea in it. I would say your mobo is dead.

Veer V2
08-12-06, 02:33 PM
I dunno, But I just killed a system pretty close to yours. I spilt iced tea in it. I would say your mobo is dead.

Man I feel your pain. But in my case i didn't drop anything on my PC - just shut it down and when i came back - nothing.

Is there any sign which would tell me it's my Mobo for sure?

XServer
08-12-06, 03:12 PM
It more likely the mobo but i would still check voltage on that PSU just because the green light come on don't mean PSU is good had a someone computer go bad and turnout to be the PSU.

Viper_0000
08-25-06, 04:07 AM
- Try leaving the CMOS battery out overnight, 6+ hours.
- Remember to press the power button on your computer a few times when the CMOS battery is removed.
- Only have one memory module installed, preferably in DIMM 2.
- Try reseating every component.

zodiaK
08-25-06, 04:34 AM
If you have any old components, I'd say try them using the same case to see if its the MOBO or the CPU.

nrdstrm
08-25-06, 01:35 PM
Physically check the mobo as well. Look at the capasitors and see if any are bubbling (not flat, but rounded outward) or have burn marks on them. 1 blown cap could cause this type of problem...

X-Server
08-26-06, 01:47 AM
Depended on where it. but if that the case a solder iron and new cap will hopefully fix problem.

Veer V2
08-26-06, 04:26 AM
Hey guys Thanks!

The board looks fine. Prestine condition if I may say so.

Anyway I purchased a ASRock P4i65G (http://www.asrock.com/product/P4i65G.htm) and my comp is back up and running!
Only problem is now my vid card isn't working (fan not even spinning)... i'm using the MBs onboard video. The card can't be completely dead becasue I still get a shrill beeep if it's in the AGP slot, but no extra power molex is connected. Anyway, BFG has kindly offered to RMA it.

I'm wondering now if the vid card was the problem all along? If my original MB worked fine, i might sell it with a few other spares i have lying around. I'm quite happy with the new board - honestly I prefer it to the old one.