PDA

View Full Version : Taking tower on a Plane

Ti22
08-09-06, 04:31 PM
Hey guys

So I am moving and I am taking my tower on the plane is there any precautiosn I need to take? I am putting the whole case into the box with the foam (basically the box it came in)

will it be a problem?

Thx

Bearclaw
08-09-06, 05:02 PM
Hey guys

So I am moving and I am taking my tower on the plane is there any precautiosn I need to take? I am putting the whole case into the box with the foam (basically the box it came in)

will it be a problem?

Thx

Well, airlines usually find a way to **** things up one way or anothet so just make sure to pack it really good! Good Luck.

crainger
08-09-06, 06:44 PM
If it has aftermarket heatsinks I would remove those and pack them elsewhere, same if you have a large video card, though the PCI brack should keep it secure.

Not sure about HDDs though. I know laptop HDDs lock themselves in a safe position when off, I assume a desktop drive would do the same. They are shipped around the globe to stores after all.

BrianG
08-09-06, 06:48 PM
Box it up carefully and overnight to your destination with fragile written all over it.

Bearclaw
08-09-06, 07:01 PM
Box it up carefully and overnight to your destination with fragile written all over it.

That might be your best option although it could get expensive.

nV`andrew
08-09-06, 09:19 PM

^ Thats the best idea. Whether its expensive or not, itll keep you safe. Plus, for **** over what, 50 pounds, you are charged like $50 or $100 at most airports

DataMatrix
08-09-06, 09:50 PM
Pack it in polystyrene, it's the best protection for heavy goods.

Bearclaw
08-09-06, 09:50 PM
^ Thats the best idea. Whether its expensive or not, itll keep you safe. Plus, for **** over what, 50 pounds, you are charged like $50 or $100 at most airports

Ya, just ship it if you don't want any problems with airlines. They can be real jerks sometimes.

Roadhog
08-09-06, 09:52 PM
Just ship it to me and ill take good care of it for you.

Saibot
08-10-06, 07:52 PM
I recently had a bad experience with a poorly packed computer. I built my parents a decent computer about 1 1/2 years ago and it started having problems that I suspected were caused by a bad power supply. They would have had no idea how to fix it and they live to far away from any sizable town to have it repaired there so I told them to just mail it back to me. Well they put it in a scanner box that was hardly bigger than the case. It obviously took a few pretty good hits in the mail and the heat sink bracket broke - so the heat sink was crashing around loose for who knows how long. I ended up replacing ram, video card, head sink, power supply, and the hard drive (that might have had problems because of said power supply though). Needless to say it was double boxed with plenty of peanuts and stuff for the trip back and it did arrive just fine.
Moral: you can't over-do-it on the packing.

ViN86
08-11-06, 08:06 AM
ship it with insurance and marked with fragile all over it. make sure you get enough insurance to cover the whole thing. if it breaks, they replace it :D

nekrosoft13
08-11-06, 09:17 AM
i would never trust baggade handlers, they treat the luggage, like balls, throw it all over the place

Smokey
08-11-06, 10:39 AM
I would never ship a pc will any pci cards instaled or the heat sink.

einstein_314
08-11-06, 06:49 PM
But yeah, in all honesty, I don't know if I would ever ship my computer on a plane....although computers must be shipped all over the place by plane....I would probably remove my CPU Heatsink and pack it separately. Maybe even take out the CPU and RAM just to be safe too. Ooh, maybe even stuff the inside full of paper. Lol. But yeah, I'd mark it as fragile and overnight it wherever it has to go.

nekrosoft13
08-11-06, 06:55 PM
yeah, but when companies ship PC, they do it by cargo, on skids, in foam packaging.

their not being thrown around by bagade handlers

sirplayalot
08-13-06, 02:03 PM
But yeah, your best bet is shipping it via USPS/FedEx/UPS and have it INSURED!

XServer
08-15-06, 01:04 PM
Ship computer USPS/FEDEX and get it INSURED! if they damaged it they replaced it, and don't sent on plane it will get bang up and package it very good.