PDA

View Full Version : Dead Rising (Initial Impression)

Pages : [1] 2

ENU291
08-09-06, 09:52 PM
Well folks I put in about 2 hours of gameplay on Dead Rising and here are my intital thoughts.

The game starts out with some cuts scenes and right off the bat I notice that the sound effects are awesome. 5.1 surround sound is put to good use here. As you might have already guessed from the demo the voice acting is not the best. It seems like the pacing of the dialog is a bit off. No biggy though.
The graphics while not the greatest I've seen on the 360 are very nice. All the cut scenes are rendered by the game engine (no CG here) and really show off the high quality poly models on some of the NPCs.
I found the controls somewhat quirky. The devs chose a wierd aiming control scheme for the default setup. It takes some getting used to. I also don't like the way that some weapons have such an extended animation that it leaves you wide open for zombies to start chompin down... very frustrating.
The last thing I want to comment on is the saving feature. This is where Capcom dropped the ball. Basically you only get 1 save slot and you can only save at designated areas. From what I've seen so far these areas are few and far in between. It kind of reminds me of the original Resident Evil. The one save slot is the real problem here. Everytime you save you have to over write your old save point. This pretty much removes any chance you might of had to try out new things without having to back track.
Anyway... all in all Dead Rising is an enjoyable flash back to when I was a kid watching Dawn of the Dead. Hacking up zombies in High Def has never felt so sweet. With the current drought of high quality Xbox360 titles picking up Dead Rising and adding it to your collection is pretty much a no brainer.
Highly recommended! :thumbsup:

LiquidX
08-10-06, 01:31 AM
Great impressions. I cant wait for my copy which has still has not arrived.

BTW, outpost has it for 49.99 with free shipping.
http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4881450

ENU291
08-10-06, 07:04 AM
Great impressions. I cant wait for my copy which has still has not arrived.

BTW, outpost has it for 49.99 with free shipping.
http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4881450
That's a great price on a newly released title. Does Outpost.com usually sell new 360 games at a discount?

Droid6
08-10-06, 09:28 AM
I just bought Kameo at their retail outlet (Fry's) for $19.99 and they always have a sale on 360 games there.

LiquidX
08-10-06, 09:53 AM
That's a great price on a newly released title. Does Outpost.com usually sell new 360 games at a discount?

Yes, I have yet to pay over $50 for a 360 game. I pre-orderd Saints and Dead Rising for $48.99 each last week. It takes a few more days but I usually save around $16 with them.:)

tacos4me
08-10-06, 03:15 PM
It's a great game, but there's a few things that pissed me off, a lot.

First of all, I don't have a high definition set, and it's nearly impossible to read subtitles, weapon names, and pretty much anything else on the screen. :thumbdwn:

The boss battles are insane. They're almost impossible, too. I found myself trying to kill a psycopath supermarket owner with a bottle of ketchup because I didn't bring a gun with me... and even when I did the second time, I just ran out of ammo without hurting him much at all. Boss battles take a few tries.

Weapon animations are good, but they're sluggish, like the OP said. And whenever you take damage it interupts from your aiming with guns, or soccer balls.. or whatever. Here's an example: I was trying to take over the gun store.. and there's a few people defending, I guess, couldn't really read anything they were saying, but I'd run in, pull out my handgun to shoot at them, and they'd all open fire. I'd get hit with bullet after bullet.. and I couldn't move becuase the retarded animation for getting shot wouldn't stop playing! I died. Pissed me off. :mad:

shungokusatsu
08-10-06, 08:29 PM
alot of things i nthe game are very irritating.

The entire game is time based, you miss 1 mission and you've already lost the true ending.

Not enough actual firearm weapons.

Bosses are extremely hard, almost impossible without firearms.

Only one save file allowed, screw up and it's time to start over.

And my main con, WAY too many damn loading screens, esoecially during the damn fights, the Brad backup mission goes through 4 load screens in under 30 secs, absolutely ridiculous.

After playing through it much more, I'm honestly not very impressed anymore. Based on the games length and objectives, this is a rent only title.

tacos4me
08-10-06, 09:13 PM
Has anyone beaten the bomb mission? :o

Mr. Hunt
08-11-06, 07:51 AM
Bosses are extremely hard, almost impossible without firearms.

Disagree. I haven't had guns for the majority of my boss fights so far, and I killed 4 people with the hockey stick/pucks, 1 (store clerk) with the soda cans, and only 1 with a gun.... only on that seems very hard to do without a gun is the gun store guy.

And also... how can you complain when you can unlock the full megaman suit, REAL mega buster, King Arthur's boxer shorts, and a bunch of other awesome unlockables?!

Quickstar
08-11-06, 09:43 AM
Am I missing something? It seems difficult to save my game. I look on the map for "S" and when i approach certain doors, it says I need the maintenance key! I help certain people but then I can't get rid of them because the security room is either too far away, or it won't let me into certain doors. The whole game is timed so it detracts you from exploring and becoming familiar with the map. You'd think there was an autosave before or after each cutscene.

Mr. Hunt
08-11-06, 01:54 PM
Am I missing something? It seems difficult to save my game. I look on the map for "S" and when i approach certain doors, it says I need the maintenance key! I help certain people but then I can't get rid of them because the security room is either too far away, or it won't let me into certain doors. The whole game is timed so it detracts you from exploring and becoming familiar with the map. You'd think there was an autosave before or after each cutscene.

There is a autosave after each new case if I remember right.

LiquidX
08-11-06, 03:36 PM
I just played for about two hours and completed three of the cases. Overall I really like the game. Its much harder than the demo though. Graphics are sharp and the cut scenes are great. Sound is superb with some very well done voice work. Loading is kind of annoying but very quick and the save system is kind of a step back but its something you can get use to if you time manage your cases and side missions well. For me this is one of those games I can see myself coming back to and replaying over and over. This might be the first 360 game I actually try and get all the achievments for and I know for sure I will try to save everyone. A great with some problems but the fun for outweighs them.:)

Quickstar
08-12-06, 04:03 PM
Yea i figured it out. You're supposed to die, then click save and quite. After doing this a couple times, your character gets really good and you learn how to fight each boss. You also get used to the map and learn shortcuts.

S.I.N
08-14-06, 05:41 PM
I couldnt take it anymore. I fell in love with this game but couldnt get a chance to play it on my brothers 360 due it only allowing one save so I bought it for a friend and borrowed his 360 with the promise to let him keep the game when done. Worth every penny so for. I love this game and I hope it comes out for PS3.

Anyway how for have you all got? The amount of people you can save is huge so I am surprised there is no discussion. I am trying to save the black couple but the female wont come with me even when I give her boyfriend a gun to blow his head off (cool pic). I also missed my chance to kill that clown with the chainsaws. I wanted him badly but if I wasted time trying to kill him I wouldnt make it back in time for the next case.:(

GamerGuyX
08-14-06, 06:23 PM
Anyway how for have you all got?

I beat the game with the true ending last night.

I love this game and I hope it comes out for PS3.

Or you could just buy a 360.

S.I.N
08-14-06, 07:04 PM
I beat the game with the true ending last night.

Or you could just buy a 360.

Or you could buy me one or go bone your 360.

GamerGuyX
08-14-06, 07:26 PM
Or you could buy me one or go bone your 360.

Well you seem to be quite happy with the prospect of boning the PS3.

six_storm
08-15-06, 09:59 AM
So is this game worth buying? I've been trying to hit up Hollywood Video and Blockbuster but hey are all checked out. Anyone?

GamerGuyX
08-15-06, 04:47 PM
So is this game worth buying? I've been trying to hit up Hollywood Video and Blockbuster but hey are all checked out. Anyone?

IMO it's the best game I've played in years. But then again, I am a hardcore George Romero fan so it's expected.

Zelda_fan
08-15-06, 05:08 PM

Just download the demo off of xbox live and see for yourself. A good ol fashioned violent "beat the hell out of zombies with anything you can find."

six_storm
08-16-06, 12:21 PM
I rented it yesterday and played it for a few straight hours. I admit that this game is really fun and addictive, however, the NPCs are so STUPID. OMG, I don't know why I waste my time with those goons. You save the one kid from the barricade, give him a weapon but he never uses it. Then, when a zombie attacks him, any attack you make will kill him in the process. Why can't I just carry him too and get the job done? lol.

I'm still debating on whether or not I want to buy this game. If I do, I will order off of Frys/Outpost. Heck, I can get next day shipping with the purchase for $59!!!!

GamerGuyX
08-16-06, 03:12 PM
I rented it yesterday and played it for a few straight hours. I admit that this game is really fun and addictive, however, the NPCs are so STUPID. OMG, I don't know why I waste my time with those goons. You save the one kid from the barricade, give him a weapon but he never uses it. Then, when a zombie attacks him, any attack you make will kill him in the process. Why can't I just carry him too and get the job done? lol.

The only time I've had a problem with an NPC not using the weapon I give them is when they are completely surrounded by zombies and getting bit.

Oh and I've never had that problem of killing an NPC in the process of killing the zombie attacking him. The only time I killed an NPC was when I popped his head with the sledge hammer. But that's a one hit kill attack anyways.

mrrolf
08-16-06, 04:41 PM
Has anyone repelled a helicopter yet? It's an achievement but I can't seem to do it. I've emptied server machine guns on it, but nothing.

GamerGuyX
08-16-06, 10:17 PM
Has anyone repelled a helicopter yet? It's an achievement but I can't seem to do it. I've emptied server machine guns on it, but nothing.

I've done it. My advice is to aim for the helicopter's tail rotor and not at the body itself.

Quickstar
08-17-06, 12:29 AM
Some NPCs are more aggressive than others. Some will attack and others will just defend.