PDA

View Full Version : Buying an X-Fi - which version?

Pages : [1] 2

Gaco
08-10-06, 04:59 AM
I see Fatal1ty Edition, Music Edition, Platinum Edition, Elite Pro Edition etc., I'm so confused :confused:

Which to buy? I will use it primarily for gaming and music :)

Stoneyguy
08-10-06, 05:37 AM
somebody has the platinum for sale for 130 bucks here in our forums. You may want to give that a look over as that is only slightly higher then what you would pay for Music Edition new.

Lazaredz
08-10-06, 09:34 AM
Unless you REALLY need the breakout box (music editing and such) I would just go with the Extreme Music. The X-Ram thing has flopped (at this time).
The EM is running about $100 right now but has been known to drop to roughly $80.

Keep an eye on your local deals page (anandtech is always good) and pounce when the sale hits.

But, thats just me.

Smokey
08-10-06, 01:34 PM
You want hear an upgrade in sound quality for music over you AudigyZS unless you get the Elite Pro, as it is the only X-Fi that has higher quality DACs over the AudigyZS. So if you are like me and will only upgrade if its going to be just that, or are you limited by your budget?

IMO, X-Fi music if you cant afford the Elite Pro or even if you dont need the best of the best, as all the other will give you the same sound quality.

Looking at your rig, I would get the X-fi Etreme music and use the savings upgrading other parts of your pc, like 1GB more ram and video card :)

The Bigman
08-10-06, 02:08 PM
Please be careful when you get an XFI. Rad some of the threads with people having issues with XFI Platium.

XServer
08-10-06, 02:28 PM
There are major problems with xfi Etreme music and xfi plantium and there are no fixs as of yet have xfi plantium in my other intel rig with 975x chipset and get errors 0x0000007 0x0000005 on system on cold boot only when this xfi is installed and try changing pci latcny and IRQ setting fix for only two days and errors came back RMA card once already called to rma card again see if maybe was just two bad card first one was bad checksum error (my fatal1ty have no problems and it on a asus a8n-32 deluxe board on nforce 4 chipset stange.)

The Bigman
08-10-06, 02:43 PM
In all sence he is saying get a fatality, its got good perofrmance and works well with no corks.

Neophyte
08-11-06, 01:21 PM
x-fi elite pro ftw~! (nana2)

MaXThReAT
08-11-06, 02:47 PM
The X-Ram thing has flopped (at this time).

Ahh then you must not have an FPS then. A friend brought over his EM and we compared on the same speakers BF2 and Quake4. Makes a world of difference in the quality of the sounds. He could no long deny he made a big mistake in buying the EM. Take my advice and go with the FPS. Higher quality DAC in the FPS too if I remember correctly.

J-Mag
08-11-06, 03:02 PM
Higher quality DAC in the FPS too if I remember correctly.

You are remembering incorrectly. The Elite Pro is the only model with higher end DACs.

jolle
08-11-06, 03:06 PM
I think the FPS has the same DACs as the rest of the line, except for the Elite Pro which has better ones.. (EDIT: I see J-mag ninjaresponded as I was typing there /EDIT)
And the X-RAM shouldnt make any difference in quality as far as I understand it, it just enables the card to cache the sound onboard, saving the rest of the system from the stress of sending alot of audio around all of the time, especially when using alot of voices.. Dunno which titles acctually uses it sofar, last I heard it wasnt enabled in most titles supporting other X-Fi features.

Im happy with my EM version, gone from years and years of integrated solutions and mediumquality headphones to the EM and a pair of Sennheiser PC150.. Im no audiophile so this is pretty good stuff in my ears, and its really on the verge of what I could consider spending on a soundcard alone.. perhaps since I dont have any huge expensive speaker setups or such to power with it..
I really love the CMSS3d HP setting, enabled me to swap out my Zalman 5.1 for these PC150 and yet get better surround, emulated as it may be.

Gaco
08-14-06, 05:01 AM
*Gaco continues to be a bit confused* :confused:

I'm buying an X-FI even though I have Audigy 2 ZS already because of this: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=74506

2.1 speaker setting is the best compromise, but there's still anomalities. I just spend a lot of bucks on my Sennheiser HD 595 and I want the soundcard to live up to that. The Audigy 2 ZS apparently doesn't do that. Now it appears that a lot of people is having all sorts of problems with their X-FI? The Fatal1ty FPS and Elite Pro are VERY expensive, so I wanna be sure I get something good because I won't be able to clothe or eat well the next couple of months if I go for this. But this Audigy 2 ZS problem is so f*cking annoying, and I don't feel I'm doing my headphones full justice, though I can survive somehow :)

The Fatal1ty FPS version would cost me about 265$, the Elite Pro about 370$. I must say, the Elite Pro is pretty unrealistic for me unfortunately :(

superklye
08-14-06, 07:58 AM
But it's so awesome and so worth it! :D I love mine greatly.

Neophyte
08-14-06, 02:19 PM
But it's so awesome and so worth it! :D I love mine greatly.
Ahhh you have the same setup as me... So i must love mine too :D

http://server2.uploadit.org/files/dynamike-Lianli02.jpg
(nana2)

MaXThReAT
08-14-06, 02:55 PM
(nana2) Z-5500s rock the house. (nana2)

EverGreen
08-14-06, 02:56 PM
lol at Neophyte, seems that we mostly all have the same basic setups......

Redshirt #24
08-14-06, 06:00 PM
Having bought CL's previous flagship SB product (the Audigy 4 Pro) last year, which has the good DACs, unless they do some sweet trickery with the mainline X-Fi cards the only one I'd look at is the Elite Pro. But the one thing that just bugs me for some reason is the whole "mode" thing the X-Fis use...maybe it's minor, I dunno, but it just seems unnecessary and annoying...

nekrosoft13
08-14-06, 10:30 PM
that is true, the elite pro is the best x-fi, it has different board design, and only card in teh family with better DACs

there should be Elite Pro gamer edition, with no external breakout box, much lower price

Gaco
08-15-06, 08:55 AM
that is true, the elite pro is the best x-fi, it has different board design, and only card in teh family with better DACs

there should be Elite Pro gamer edition, with no external breakout box, much lower price

Ok, I'll have to look for that one :)

nekrosoft13
08-15-06, 09:11 AM
if you mean you are going to look for Elite Pro gamer edition, it doesn't excist, but it should

Gaco
08-15-06, 09:39 AM
lol ok :D

XServer
08-15-06, 11:46 AM
X-Fi ExtremeMusic/Platinum: identical cards, a good single 8-channel dac: Cirrus Logic CS4382 D/A converter (192 kHz, 114 dB), quite good Wolfson adc: Wolfson WM8775 A/D(96 kHz, 102 dB), mediocre JRC/NJR opamp for front channels, el cheapo ST opamps for other channels, Platinum comes with front bay module and remote.

X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS: card almost identical (= same dac & adc, same opamps!) with ExtremeMusic/Platinum except for 64 instead of just 2 MByte ram and additional leds, comes with front bay module and remote just like the Platinum.

X-Fi Elite Pro: different card, 4 very good stereo dacs: Cirrus Logic CS4398 D/A converters (192 kHz, 120 dB), good AKM adc: AKM AK5394 A/D converter (192 kHz, 123 dB), juicier ok JRC/NJR opamp for front, ok JRC/NJR opamps for other channels, also has 64 MByte ram and additional leds, comes with remote and big external module, which additionally sports 3 nice Burr-Brown PCM1804 A/D converters (192 kHz, 111 dB)for the analogue inputs and for the headphone jack there's a Cirrus Logic CS4392 D/A converter (192 kHz, 114 dB).
If you are using good reciever with a very good decoder it won't manner because card is being used as a pass though device but if you are using promedia speaker go with the elite pro if you have money buy a decent reciever will sound better then the promedia. (Had the promedia keep blowing amps in the sub so went and hook up to pioneer elite reciever sound way better, take my advise know audio very well.)

XServer
08-15-06, 11:51 AM
and those who wonder how to get fiber to your reciever creative sell a digital IO Module for you flexjack in back of your card it only $14.99 here link
http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=16&product=1780

Gaco
08-15-06, 05:56 PM
X-Fi ExtremeMusic/Platinum: identical cards, a good single 8-channel dac: Cirrus Logic CS4382 D/A converter (192 kHz, 114 dB), quite good Wolfson adc: Wolfson WM8775 A/D(96 kHz, 102 dB), mediocre JRC/NJR opamp for front channels, el cheapo ST opamps for other channels, Platinum comes with front bay module and remote.

X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS: card almost identical (= same dac & adc, same opamps!) with ExtremeMusic/Platinum except for 64 instead of just 2 MByte ram and additional leds, comes with front bay module and remote just like the Platinum.

X-Fi Elite Pro: different card, 4 very good stereo dacs: Cirrus Logic CS4398 D/A converters (192 kHz, 120 dB), good AKM adc: AKM AK5394 A/D converter (192 kHz, 123 dB), juicier ok JRC/NJR opamp for front, ok JRC/NJR opamps for other channels, also has 64 MByte ram and additional leds, comes with remote and big external module, which additionally sports 3 nice Burr-Brown PCM1804 A/D converters (192 kHz, 111 dB)for the analogue inputs and for the headphone jack there's a Cirrus Logic CS4392 D/A converter (192 kHz, 114 dB).
If you are using good reciever with a very good decoder it won't manner because card is being used as a pass though device but if you are using promedia speaker go with the elite pro if you have money buy a decent reciever will sound better then the promedia. (Had the promedia keep blowing amps in the sub so went and hook up to pioneer elite reciever sound way better, take my advise know audio very well.)

That's a lot of information, thanks. I'm just trying to make a decision here and all I care about is what's best for my Sennheiser HD595 headphones, because Audigy 2 ZS apparently isn't because it's headphones settings is crappy at best, broken at worst. I don't want to have MUCH better audio quality, I just want proper compatibility. Which ones would you recommend?

Rakeesh
08-15-06, 07:03 PM
and those who wonder how to get fiber to your reciever creative sell a digital IO Module for you flexjack in back of your card it only $14.99 here link
http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=16&product=1780

Keep in mind that you only get two channel audio when you do this unless you are watching a DVD. Creative cards do not support true digital surround.