PDA

View Full Version : Does gaming shorten the lifespan of a computer?

keith33
08-10-06, 06:02 PM
Maybe this belongs in the open forum, I'm not sure. My dad got into this heated debate saying I shouldn't play games on my Macbook because it excessively stresses the components and will make it die in a short time. He then reference my old 939 motherboard which died suddenly for no good reason (he doesn't know what overclocking is lol). I thought that gaming was well within the operating perimeters that our hardware was designed for.

Can anyone give me some proof one way or another regarding who is right on this issue? I'm not even sure what to believe and it really pisses me off that I can't game on my own laptop that I paid for with my summer job. I googled for this and didn't find a thing. Thanks!

Roadhog
08-10-06, 06:10 PM
its not gaming that stresses it, its the load of what youre doing puts on the components. The main killer is heat, and stress = heat. But It shouldnt shorten its lifespan drastically lol. Thats just lame.

|MaguS|
08-10-06, 06:13 PM
If you don't cool the components properly then yes any form of stress on them will cause them to fail but specifically gaming? No.

ViN86
08-10-06, 06:13 PM
nahh, its just like what roadhog said. as long as you dont run it at extreme temps youll be fine.

anyways, i spent a pretty penny on my machine, and i wont let fear control my use of it :D

XServer
08-10-06, 06:14 PM
Maybe this belongs in the open forum, I'm not sure. My dad got into this heated debate saying I shouldn't play games on my Macbook because it excessively stresses the components and will make it die in a short time. He then reference my old 939 motherboard which died suddenly for no good reason (he doesn't know what overclocking is lol). I thought that gaming was well within the operating perimeters that our hardware was designed for.

Can anyone give me some proof one way or another regarding who is right on this issue? I'm not even sure what to believe and it really pisses me off that I can't game on my own laptop that I paid for with my summer job. I googled for this and didn't find a thing. Thanks!Heat does Damage components that why lot of us with high end gaming systems water cool the cpu and video cards because whem you game your video card drain more power which cause heat if you what to game get better heatsink like zalman or watercool your system and you won't have to worry about heat and invest in a good power supply like themaltake thoughpower 750w or etc, it not a good ideal to game on laptops burnout my alienware notebook doing that and it was made for gaming, never overclock it ether or keep it in hot location if you game on your laptop keep it in a cool spot

sillyeagle
08-10-06, 06:23 PM
Tell him he doesn't know what he's talking about. The computer wears out more just turning it on then it does gaming for 24 hours straight. Like any electrical stuff a computer is stressed the most from the expansion and contraction of heating and cooling when you power it on and off. You can run a computer at 100% load for 5 years and likely not see a problem, provided it has good cooling. Lots of people run SETI stuff which keeps a steady load on the CPU at ALL times.

Bearclaw
08-10-06, 06:30 PM
Tell him he doesn't know what he's talking about. The computer wears out more just turning it on then it does gaming for 24 hours straight. Like any electrical stuff a computer is stressed the most from the expansion and contraction of heating and cooling when you power it on and off. You can run a computer at 100% load for 5 years and likely not see a problem, provided it has good cooling. Lots of people run SETI stuff which keeps a steady load on the CPU at ALL times.
Good to know because I leave mine on 24/7 now. I used to turn it on and off all the time. What about standby mode?

rflair
08-10-06, 06:53 PM

100% true, and for all electronics.

My computer is 24/7 also, been up 30 days straight now, trying for my old PC's record of 4 months both on XP.

XServer
08-10-06, 06:54 PM
Run computer 24/7 no problem just use good cooling and good power supply and yes turn on and off computer is bad because of heat exspan electronic when goes from cold to hot.

Roadhog
08-10-06, 07:03 PM
ok so, when your computer is idle it cools off? yes. isnt that the same practically as shutting it off? lol

rflair
08-10-06, 07:11 PM
ok so, when your computer is idle it cools off? yes. isnt that the same practically as shutting it off? lol

Not even close, the first milliseconds after the power is turned on is the most stressful time on any electronic device. Also the scale of the temperture change is greater from off to load then from idle to load.

Roadhog
08-10-06, 07:18 PM
oh... so if I dont turn my pc off ittle last longer?

rflair
08-10-06, 07:28 PM
oh... so if I dont turn my pc off ittle last longer?

Its personal choice, while it may be better to leave it on the major draw back is cost, I did the calculations a while back and the cost of running a PC 24/7 can be seen as costly. Find out what electricty cost in your area, figure out how much juice your PC uses and a little math.

For me its 24/7 has been for a long time.

CaptNKILL
08-11-06, 12:38 AM
In a round about way, yes gaming does shorten the lifespan of a computer... but its only because you'll be upgrading to something faster. :D

jAkUp
08-11-06, 12:42 AM
Anything that stresses your components will surely shorten the lifespan, however, who needs hardware to last 15 years? :D

Bearclaw
08-11-06, 12:46 AM
Anything that stresses your components will surely shorten the lifespan, however, who needs hardware to last 15 years? :D

As far as jakup is concerned, if he can get through a week without blowing one of his components up, he considers himself lucky:D ....................................

..........and then just buys a new better part. ;)

ynnek
08-11-06, 12:57 AM
here's something to consider, especially people that fold or whatnot when they aren't using their computer..

avg cost of residential electicity is supposidly 9.86 kwatts/hour, as of march 2006.

lets say your computer burns 200 watts/hour on avg.. which is reasonable, if you do folding or whatnot that 100% loads your cpu when you aren't using it.

Thats $172.74 a year on electricity.

lets say you use your computer 6 hours a day.. and you shut it off the rest of the time. thats $129 in savings a year... it adds up.

jAkUp
08-11-06, 12:58 AM
Dieing components is an upgrade excuse ;)

Bearclaw
08-11-06, 01:16 AM
Dieing components is an upgrade excuse ;)
oh, I'm not denying that at all! Ecspecially when you get a bonus. I would go home and damage a part on purpose! :D

nekrosoft13
08-11-06, 08:05 AM
i would start with that PSU