PDA

View Full Version : Extracting files from unbootable OS

sewebster87
08-11-06, 12:11 AM
Hey all, first time posting here, i've been lurknig for a couple weeks, I like this place =)

I'm workin on a buddy's computer, and he has a drive that he needs to pull some info off of, that doesn't boot. He has a new computer that runs fine, with a nice 250GB drive in it. We got an external enclosure (new pc doesn't have enough space) for his old drive (containing his info) and it pulls up just fine. Problem is, all of the files that he needs, are in his "Documents and Settings" folder under his login name for his old machine. The login name is password protected, so when we attempt to access the files we get a "Access denied" error of course.

Any ideas or suggestions on how to get the files off of that drive?

tieros
08-11-06, 12:17 AM
I'd configure the old drive as primary, then boot off the XP CD and see if it detects the old installation. If it does, select "repair" and get it back to the point where you can boot the old drive and grab the data off of it. Then move the old drive back to the external enclosure and switch back to the new drive.

Good luck !

sewebster87
08-11-06, 12:27 AM
Hey thats a good idea!! I never even thought about that. Good call, thanks man, I will give it a shot tomorrow and report back what happened =)

Thanks again!

rewt
08-11-06, 12:34 AM
Log in safe mode as Admin (or disable simple file sharing in normal mode). Right-click on Documents folder > Properties > Security > Advanced > Owner. Make current admin/user the owner of all files & folders. Go back to Security tab and add current user and give full control. You should now have access to all files.

Hope this helps!

And Welcome to nvnews!