PDA

View Full Version : Artifacting Issue with 6800 Ultra

sonyman
08-11-06, 01:10 AM
I've got a strange problem that's been annoying the heck out of me for the past two weeks. Basically, out of the blue my 6800 Ultra starting showing strange squares in my games. In random locations on the screen, small squares, perhaps 2-3 at a time, would appear suddenly then disappear. The squares are small, maybe 8x8 pixels. I RMA'ed my 6800 Ultra to BFG since I thought it was the fault of the card. Well, the card I received was even worse. In addition to having the squares, the screen would be entirely corrupted with lines and a sort of shimmer to everything in games, and when I exited a game, it would show corruption in 2D applications. Now I received another card, supposedly tested by a manager at BFG in applications such as 3DMark to ensure that I wouldn't receive another bum card. I tried 3DMark myself on my first card and didn't notice the corruption, but that may have been user error. Well, this new card is doing the same thing that my first card did. I've tried a different PSU, reinstalled Windows, a different card and motherboard BIOS, and several different driver sets that have worked without any problems for me in the past, with no results. I'm at a loss right now. I don't know what to do and I've got to get this system working properly. Oh, if you guys thing it may be be relevant, my 2 hard drives connected to the slave IDE channel of my motherboard are always suddenly going offline after making a small chirp similar to the noise that the computer makes after you flick the power switch on the PSU. Maybe it's power related, but I'm not getting that Nvidia message that complains about power! Help!

ATOJAR
08-11-06, 05:40 AM
1. Whats the power of your psu?(although it dosent sound like a power issue)
2. The strange noise comming from your hard drive could be that your h/drive has bad sector/s and that noise happens when it skips that sector, try a defrag!
3. Now this has happened two 3 cards right? you tried a different motherboard alltogeather? the chances of 3 cards being knackered in a row is very slim.
4. Have you tried the card in a totally different computer setup? i.e a mates p.c?
5. What temp is your card running at?

If i was you i would reset the bios, strip the whole pc down, give it a good clean and do a total re-build, and a fresh install of everything as well, make sure all leads/wires are in correctly.

XServer
08-12-06, 01:18 PM
BFG is know to sent back another bad card back, take off the stock cooler and look how they put silver themal paste they just use way to much and it shorts out the card have seen it 9 out of 10 with BFG on all my customer if you get new card from them reapply you own themal paste before using the card and go EVGA next time, and check the rails on your PSU.