PDA

View Full Version : Which is better for my setup on Slave/Master DVD-ROM/CD-ROM?

Digital_Trans
08-11-06, 10:43 AM
Which is best for slave and master configuration on a DVD-ROM Drive
and a CD-Burner Drive? Which is would be the best Slave or Master?

evilghost
08-11-06, 11:08 AM
Burner as Master on secondary IDE channel. DVD-ROM as Slave on the secondary IDE channel.

saturnotaku
08-11-06, 12:13 PM
If you have two open parallel ATA controllers on your motherboard, the ideal setup would be to set up each drive individually as the master (with nothing else sharing the controller). It does wonders if you plan on doing much disc-to-disc copying.

evilghost
08-11-06, 12:15 PM
If you have two open parallel ATA controllers on your motherboard, the ideal setup would be to set up each drive individually as the master (with nothing else sharing the controller). It does wonders if you plan on doing much disc-to-disc copying.

Good point, I assumed he was using an ATA HDD and not SATA.

crainger
08-11-06, 07:39 PM
I should have both on separate channels, but I have them on the one. Saves cables.

DataMatrix
08-11-06, 09:45 PM
The fastest drive should be the primary, that way you always install programs from the fastest drive.

Digital_Trans
08-12-06, 10:18 PM
What would be the best settings for a DVD-Rom and then a CD-ROM Slave or Master or Master Slave? It's for an older computer I'm working on for someone.

DataMatrix
08-13-06, 10:33 AM
Master slave?

Do you mean Primary Slave?

If they are read only drives (write incompatible) then put the DVD drive first.

Tuork
08-13-06, 02:04 PM
Hmm... on the matter at hand, I currently have my primary (IDE) HDD connected as a master and my DVDRW as a slave... make everything tidier.

Is this a bad idea?

As to Digital_trans' question, as far as I know you should connect the burner as the master, and the other one as a slave.

CaptNKILL
08-13-06, 02:36 PM
Hmm... on the matter at hand, I currently have my primary (IDE) HDD connected as a master and my DVDRW as a slave... make everything tidier.

Is this a bad idea?

It will hurt your performance a bit I think, but it should work fine.

You'll probably get better speed from your DVD burning\reading if you put it on a separate cable.

Digital_Trans
08-13-06, 03:22 PM

Is this a bad idea?

As to Digital_trans' question, as far as I know you should connect the burner as the master, and the other one as a slave.

These are not burners mate. Top drive is a DVD-Rom Drive. Bottom Drive is a CD-ROM 52X Max Drive. So there's no burners. I set it up as the DVD-ROM Master and the CD-Rom 52x Max as Slave both of which are on the Motherboard's Secondary IDE. What do you all think of this configuration? :) The comptuer is old but I'd still like to know what's the best settings for the old dino-pc.

Bman212121
08-13-06, 03:29 PM

You'll probably get better speed from your DVD burning\reading if you put it on a separate cable.

95% of the time hurt is an understatement. More like kill your performance. Most dvd drives are only ata-33, so it slows down the hard drive to that speed as well. If you have an ata-66 dvd drive, then it won't be nearly as noticeable. Pretty much all drives can't sustain over 65MB, and the ones that can aren't p-ata. The only thing is that the drive will be able to only burst up to 66MB.

DataMatrix
08-13-06, 04:20 PM
As I've said before, if they're read only drives, then put the DVD drive at the top.

Digital_Trans
08-13-06, 04:43 PM
As I've said before, if they're read only drives, then put the DVD drive at the top.

Exactly! That's just what I did. DVD-ROM Master and CD-ROM Slave.

Tuork
08-14-06, 10:09 AM

Hmmm... maybe it's time to get a new SATA drive as my primary. Smaller cables, faster everything, and my current main drive is noisy as hell (20GB Maxtor... the 200GB in my sig is my secondary).

Oh well, at least it's tidy for now :D