PDA

View Full Version : 7950 GX2 configuration question

Pages : [1] 2

rickshobbies
08-11-06, 10:54 AM
Well, my eVGA 7950 GX2 has arrived and it's now installed in my Intel D975Xbx and running fine.

I started right off with the 91.45 driver and explored the new interface. I am getting used to it and can find pretty much everything I am used to looking for.

I have read a lot of posts from folks here about certain settings and some of the posts I can't find again, so I wanted to run a couple of things past you guys to make sure I'm not forgetting anything.

At first, I ran the card using Global Settings for "Performance". I ran BF2 and the game is nice and smooth at 1600x1200 with all options maxed and 2x AA (set from the game menu). However, I noticed tearing as I always have when Vsync is turned off. So, I am now using custom settings with everything set for application control, except for "vsync" which is now "Forced on".

Question 1: I recall seeing something about setting vsync to be forced on in the global settings as causing a problem or performance problem. Is there an issue that I should be aware of here?

Question 2: Under custom settings, I made sure that it's set for "single display performance" and "multi GPU" (it was set for "multi-display performance by default for some reason, even though I only have one display). Is there anything else I should be aware of?

Question 3: With my old GeForce cards, I always set the driver to force "2x AA" and "8x Aniso" along with "vsync on". But I remember seeing posts about needing to leave everything set to be application controlled to avoid performance hits. Is this is a real issue?

Question 4: My Lian Li case gets good airflow. My Conroe 6700 idles at 44C and never gets over 51 under load. I noticed that the Nvidia control panel showed my 7950 at 66C as soon as it boots up and then it holds at 68C under idle. I thought this seemed high, but I left the monitor running while I played BF2 for an hour and the hottest it got was 81C, but it usually hovered around 75C. I guess this is still a long way from the 122C warning but I thought I would ask you guys if this seemed alright. I try and strike a balance between cool and quiet, letting the system board control the fan speeds. So, during gaming, the system fans do ramp up a little.

Thanks!

R

Slammin
08-11-06, 11:05 AM
I'm only addressing #4 since I also have a Lian Li case and although I really like this case, it does suck for airflow to the vid cards in my system. If you can, remove one or two of the PCI slot covers if the slot isn't being used and that will help alot.

Barring that, do what I did last weekend and break out the dremel. I cut a hole for a quiet Nexus 120m fan over the vid cards in the door panel, and that took care of it.

nekrosoft13
08-11-06, 11:19 AM
Question 2: Under custom settings, I made sure that it's set for "single display performance" and "multi GPU" (it was set for "multi-display performance by default for some reason, even though I only have one display). Is there anything else I should be aware of?

R

i would bechmark first

for some reason i get better performance when it set to multi-display acceleration

rickshobbies
08-11-06, 11:21 AM
I'm only addressing #4 since I also have a Lian Li case and although I really like this case, it does suck for airflow to the vid cards in my system. If you can, remove one or two of the PCI slot covers if the slot isn't being used and that will help alot.

Barring that, do what I did last weekend and break out the dremel. I cut a hole for a quiet Nexus 120m fan over the vid cards in the door panel, and that took care of it.

Interesting. I just ordered the new style Lian Li sidepanel with the fan kit. I also got the Scythe 5.25" bay Kama Bay fan kit. I'll just use some nice quiet Nexus fans in them. I'm sure that will do the trick!

rickshobbies
08-11-06, 11:22 AM
i would bechmark first

for some reason i get better performance when it set to multi-display acceleration

Really? Did you notice that this made a big impact?

nekrosoft13
08-11-06, 12:13 PM
Really? Did you notice that this made a big impact?

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=960869&postcount=181

yes, check out the link

i just got the card yesterday, i need to mess around little more, to see if it was some fluke, or a real issue.

K007
08-11-06, 08:29 PM
Not sure wtf is going on but i think its best to not touch the driver after install if u have a gx2..just install driver and play games..it seems to really go nuts the moment u touch the drivers...nvidia really need to get some more support driver for the gx2..it is a pain in the ass.

Slammin
08-11-06, 08:57 PM
You sound very confused.

rickshobbies
08-11-06, 11:01 PM
Actually, I think he has a point. I did a lot of testing with 3DMark06 and as soon as I change anything at all in the control panel after installing the drivers, my score drops from 8.3k to 7.1k or lower. It could be something as simple as turning on vsync. As soon as I change something, I can never get the 8.3k score back without a remove and reinstall, even if I set it right back to the original value.

I guess I should exect vsync to affect my 3DMark score if it's limiting fps to my refresh rate (60hz for my flat panel) but turning it back off should restore the performance.

I also tested this in games and you can see the difference in frame rate before and after. I can't help but wonder if the driver is perhaps not changing things back even though the control panel says you did.

Any ideas?

jabloomf1230
08-14-06, 04:10 PM
You sound very confused.

K007 is correct. If you fool with the 3D driver settings, most often what happens is that your 7950's performance will drop significantly (as in nekrosoft13's example). The conjecture is that most of those options only apply to having two 7950s in Quad SLI and the drivers have a bug in that they even allow you to change those settings.

The best option is to not touch any of those 3D settings.

K007
08-14-06, 08:57 PM
Or go into old CP mode..all the sli options are gone but Mult-GPU is working but u wont see it as an option..but its working.

nekrosoft13
08-14-06, 08:59 PM
i still use nHancer for tweaking SLI settings, to bad that nHancer completly breaks SLI support in Prey

Greeno
08-15-06, 12:15 PM
Rickshobbies,

I've got that board and card combo, and my Conroe E6700 is coming soon, whats your 3D Mark 06 score like?

ta

rickshobbies
08-15-06, 04:25 PM
Rickshobbies,

I've got that board and card combo, and my Conroe E6700 is coming soon, whats your 3D Mark 06 score like?

ta

3DMark06 scored 8137 at default CP settings and stock clock speeds on video card and MB.

Xion X2
08-16-06, 07:53 AM
3DMark06 scored 8137 at default CP settings and stock clock speeds on video card and MB.

Interesting. I scored 7980 on my GX2 at stock speeds paired with my X2. So there's a difference of about 157 points between your processor paired with that vid card and mine.

Not that much.

K007
08-16-06, 08:49 AM

Possible to get a break down of the scores?

SLippe
08-16-06, 09:27 AM
I wonder if the settings thing effects the 91.45 drivers in general. I mean, wonder if I would score different in 3dmark06 with the two different cp settings on my 7900 GT? Hmmmm I may have a go at this later.

nekrosoft13
08-16-06, 09:33 AM
new control panel seems to mess up 7950gx2, i don't think it would cause any problems on GT

rickshobbies
08-16-06, 11:03 AM
Interesting. I scored 7980 on my GX2 at stock speeds paired with my X2. So there's a difference of about 157 points between your processor paired with that vid card and mine.

Not that much.

Here is my config. Everything is currently at default speeds, no OC:

-Intel D975Xbx "Bad Axe"
- 2GB Corsair 533
- Conroe 6700 Core 2 Duo
- Creative XFi audio
- eVGA 7950
- Dell 2001 at 1600x1200 (I run everything at the native res)
- Enermax Noisetaker II 600w
- Seagate 7200.8 250Gb
- Sony DVD/CD burner

Since 3DMark6 takes CPU into account, so I guess the Conroe is providing the slight boost.

rickshobbies
08-16-06, 11:04 AM
Possible to get a break down of the scores?

I can, but I'll have to run them again. This is using the "free" version of 3DMark06 and of course the settings are all locked.

I'll re-run and re-post.

K007
08-16-06, 09:45 PM
I can, but I'll have to run them again. This is using the "free" version of 3DMark06 and of course the settings are all locked.

I'll re-run and re-post.

bugger..i hate the cpu test

rickshobbies
08-17-06, 12:30 AM

I'll re-run and re-post.

OK, here we go. I re-ran it and got the following:

8159 3DMarks
SM 2.0 Score: 3628
HDR/SM3.0 Score: 3479
CPU Score: 2232
GT1: 28.938 fps
GT2: 31.528 fps
HDR1: 30.853
HDR2: 38.724
CPU1: 0.712 fps
CPU2: 1.119 fps

R

Grestorn
08-21-06, 02:25 AM
i still use nHancer for tweaking SLI settings, to bad that nHancer completly breaks SLI support in Prey

No, it doesn't :)

Hidejosji
08-30-06, 07:14 PM
hey guys, Im not sure if this has been asked before or if its a kinda stupid question, but i have the following prob and i hoped u could help me out.

I just got my new parts in today:

Core2duo 6600
Gigabyte GA965P S3
2gb corsair ram
club3d 7950 GX2

now I installed everything a while ago (its reinstalling atm for something else), but when I Installed 91.45 forceware, and went to the control panel, it didnt give me the 3d settings option? wth, im confused here, before i tried the 91.31, same result, i flashed my bios, and even not on the list on several tech forums my mobo is said to support 7950gx2 any one got a idea?

K007
08-31-06, 03:46 AM
When u installed the drivers did it pick up the 7950? If it did here then its good..maybe redownload the drivers..if not..then gg