PDA

View Full Version : Flight Simulations - when will they get it right?


sillyeagle
08-11-06, 05:32 PM
With all the great add-on aircraft designers out there, I don't understand why they can't get a simple detail right.

I have downlaoded all the best premium fighter jets for FS9, and they all have the same flaw. The problem is the afterburner. The way they make these add-on aircraft, 99% throttle/thrust is with afterburner off, 100% throttle/thrust kicks in the afterburner, which is totally lame. Can they not understand that afterburning accounts for more than a 1% of the total thrust?

With the real life F-16 for example, the P&W F100-P-100 has 14,000lb of thurst dry, and 23,500 with afterburning. So at full throttle (non afterburning) you have 14,000lb of thrust, when you kick in the afterburner, wham, you have have another 9,000lb of thrust, and you are going to accelerate hard compared to running dry.

Now with the add-on aircraft, the difference in thrust between afterburning and dry is actaully only the linear difference between 99% and 100% thrust, not the 60% gain in thrust you SHOULD be getting.

I have yet to see the afterburning thrust modeled correctly in FS9. Is this maybe a limitation of FS9? I do not have any military simulators other than IL-2, so I don't know if the afterburning thrust is modeled correctly in those, maybe somebody else does?

einstein_314
08-11-06, 06:44 PM
I think it is probably a limitation of FS9. It is designed for airplanes that don't have afterburner...so it has no way to knowing how to interpret afterburner. There may be someway around it...but it would probably take a bunch of programming to do. Which is possible I guess....my suggestion? Use a flight sim designed for jets/aircraft with afterburner.

agentkay
08-11-06, 07:11 PM
Lock On (LOMAC) has a very good afterburner simulation. For instance with the F15 you have conventional throttle (without afterburner) which takes up around 80% of the throttle stick movement, the remaining 20% are left for the afterburner. Itīs not a digital on/off switch (and definitly not linear), but at the same time it gives you realistic amount of afterburner thrust and acceleration. Great game, you should definitly give it a try!

sillyeagle
08-11-06, 08:57 PM
Lock On (LOMAC) has a very good afterburner simulation. For instance with the F15 you have conventional throttle (without afterburner) which takes up around 80% of the throttle stick movement, the remaining 20% are left for the afterburner. Itīs not a digital on/off switch (and definitly not linear), but at the same time it gives you realistic amount of afterburner thrust and acceleration. Great game, you should definitly give it a try!

Coolness. I saw it packaged with another game at best buy for like $20. I'll see if they still have it there. Thanks.

MaXThReAT
08-12-06, 11:17 AM
Yeah I picked it up a while ago at Best buy, along with Pacific Fighters and IL-2 for twenty bucks in an Ultimate Flight Collection package. Don't forget to pick up a TrackIR (http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/), works great with all three.