PDA

View Full Version : Conroe with AGP and PCIe slots...

Pages : [1] 2

ViN86
08-12-06, 03:05 PM
ASRock has done it again. heres the board.

ASRock Conroe Board (http://www.asrock.com/PRODUCT/775Dual-VSTA.htm)

Bearclaw
08-12-06, 03:07 PM
ASRock has done it again. heres the board.

ASRock Conroe Board (http://www.asrock.com/PRODUCT/775Dual-VSTA.htm)

This board looks retarded. It has slots for both AGP and PIC-E and it has both DDR and DDR2 if I am reading it correctly..wtf?

CaptNKILL
08-12-06, 03:17 PM
This board looks retarded. It has slots for both AGP and PIC-E and it has both DDR and DDR2 if I am reading it correctly..wtf?
Asrock always makes the "half way" boards for people that need them.

For example, someone who is currently running an AGP 7800GS with 2Gb PC-4000 on a socket 754 board. They can upgrade to conroe without having to spend another $150 on RAM and another $200+ on a video card.

Its a great idea really. If the board is as good as their previous ones, this is going to be a great option for a lot of people. Hell, it sounds good to me since I just spent like $200 on ram a few months ago. :o

Mr_LoL
08-12-06, 03:34 PM
Apparently according to the folks at ocuk, this board is a shocking overclocker so I wouldnt touch it presonally.

Bearclaw
08-12-06, 03:36 PM
Asrock always makes the "half way" boards for people that need them.

For example, someone who is currently running an AGP 7800GS with 2Gb PC-4000 on a socket 754 board. They can upgrade to conroe without having to spend another $150 on RAM and another $200+ on a video card.

Its a great idea really. If the board is as good as their previous ones, this is going to be a great option for a lot of people. Hell, it sounds good to me since I just spent like $200 on ram a few months ago. :o

Well now that you put it that way I guess it isn't such a bad idea. :p

LycosV
08-12-06, 03:53 PM
This is the board that I got to go with my Core 2 chip. Worked out great for me, my P4 motherboard died on me. I've got an x800AIW and a gig of DDR ram. With this board I spent $60 and could use my still decent video card and RAM. If I had gotten another MB I would've needed a new video card and RAM, not to mention other Conroe MB's are more expensive. :)

CaptNKILL
08-12-06, 04:04 PM
Apparently according to the folks at ocuk, this board is a shocking overclocker so I wouldnt touch it presonally.
Is shocking bad? Usually that means good... :o

K007
08-12-06, 09:10 PM
This is pretty cool..

Mr_LoL
08-12-06, 10:12 PM
Is shocking bad? Usually that means good... :o
Really? Well shocking here usually means bad :)

Lazaredz
08-13-06, 09:45 AM
Really? Well shocking here usually means bad :)

Yeah well, you call cookies "biscuits" so who KNOWS how else you all slaughter the english language.

;)

And yeah, the board is a good idea. Probably doesn't overclock well, but at least you don't have to blow extra $$$ on upgrading EVERYTHING.

SOME people can't afford that you know.

ViN86
08-13-06, 12:47 PM
yea thats why i posted it, cause a lot of ppl are into conroe, but dont want to have to dish out to upgrade to DDR2 and/or PCIe

Mr_LoL
08-13-06, 01:59 PM
Yeah well, you call cookies "biscuits" so who KNOWS how else you all slaughter the english language.

Err because they ARE biscuits ;) Anyway this is an asrock thread so I shall stop threadcrapping.

Tuork
08-13-06, 02:11 PM
Cool... this looks like a pretty sound upgrade path.
I wish AsRock had more recognition... they provide great upgrade opportunities for people that don't have a large wad to dish out with each upgrade... like me! :D

This looks like an interesting path for christmas, once conroe is more available.

bendedavis
08-18-06, 09:15 AM
Do these boards ship with bios 1.4? I hope they do because I just ordered one along with an E6600. I'm guessing theres not a way to upgrade the bios without a supported cpu.

DarkJedi664
08-18-06, 09:31 AM
It has a Via chipset (which are never good anymore) and in the past, any board that had pci-e and agp, the agp has been hooked into the pci bus, thus making it slower than actual agp. because the p4 and subsequent chips don't have an integrated memory controller; OEMs can make a board support whatever memory they want; it just matters on the chipset. iirc, asrock is the budget board of asus.

LycosV
08-18-06, 11:17 AM
I was worried about have an old BIOS, but it worked out fine with my E6400. When I e-mailed ASRock they said that despite what the website says the MB was built to support Conroe they just tweaked it multiple times with various revisions.

bendedavis
08-18-06, 02:06 PM
I was worried about have an old BIOS, but it worked out fine with my E6400. When I e-mailed ASRock they said that despite what the website says the MB was built to support Conroe they just tweaked it multiple times with various revisions.

which revision was on the board when you got it?

Ancient
08-18-06, 02:59 PM
I just ordered one of these m/b's with an E6600. It's a nice way to upgrade, keep my old 6800GT and ram, and still have the option for PCIe when the G80 comes out.

LycosV
08-19-06, 01:04 PM
which revision was on the board when you got it?
Mine came with 1.10

bendedavis
08-19-06, 06:58 PM
Mine came with 1.10

And it worked long enough for you to update it to the newest revision. Is it actually fully supported on that revision, it's just not recommended to run it that way?

Just wanting all the details cuz my mobo and cpu comes monday. Don't want anything stopping me (nana2) .

Ancient
08-24-06, 08:47 PM
I received my ASRock m/b and E6600 yesterday. Initially I used my old DDR ram and while it ran fast I was a bit underwhelmed. I went out today and bought 2 gigs of DDR2 and, wow, what a difference. Even on this board the proc runs like a scalded dog, at least compared to my old 2500+ @ 3200. I managed to overclock it to 2.7 so far, with the ram running at 667 w/ 1T and the proc didn't even sweat. I'll probably play with it some more to see if I can get it at least up to 3Ghz, though this board is fairly limited o'clocking-wise.

btw, the board came with BIOS 1.30 but I flashed it to 1.70.

For a cheap upgrade path I'm very happy with the purchase.

ViN86
08-24-06, 09:12 PM
glad to hear the board doesnt do too bad :)

nrdstrm
08-24-06, 09:28 PM
Just a question, as I'm not really up on this stuff. But wouldn't DDR 400 bottleneck the processor? Just curious, I think the board is a great idea though for people with a limited budget that want Conroe....

Ancient
08-24-06, 10:31 PM
Just a question, as I'm not really up on this stuff. But wouldn't DDR 400 bottleneck the processor? Just curious, I think the board is a great idea though for people with a limited budget that want Conroe....
Anand (http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2810)did some benchmarks on this board using both DDR and DDR2. The benchmarks showed little advantage to using DDR2 instead.

Just going on feel though, this board seems to like DDR2 quite a bit more than DDR. Things are much snappier with DDR2 based on what I've seen. I didn't experience the stutters with DDR2 that I had with DDR in games like Q4 and HL2. What a difference in Oblivion with the same video card (6800GT). Of course, Oblivion tends to be CPU bound so there should be a good difference. The Conroe doesn't disappoint.

I'm going to have to replace the stock heat sink, or at least the fan, because it makes a sound that is particularly grating to my ears. One other complaint I have is that there is only one chassis fan header on this board (at least that I've found, and I looked pretty hard). Until the G80 comes out and I get a new m/b along with it, this will suffice though. Compared to what I was using this is heaven.

Oh, and my brother told me his company had some PCIe 7800s laying around and would snag one for me to have. That would be sweet in the interim wait for the G80 too. :)

Stoneyguy
08-30-06, 05:31 PM
Awesome. After skim reading the AnandTech article, I've decided to give that mobo a try along with a Conroe 6400. I have 1 gig of 333mhz memory and a 7800 GS AGP card. This mobo should help me make an incremental upgrade over time. I'm kinda nervous that it's to good to be true. Only minor drawback is that there is only a select group of PCI-E cards to choose from. Memory will be next on my list anyway though so by the time I get to graphics card a new mobo will probably be needed anyway.