PDA

View Full Version : Looking for high-quality headphones...

Pages : [1] 2

SocketAzzWipe
02-13-03, 01:33 AM
Your opinions greatly appreciated.
I have been reading good things about the Grado SR325.
Does anyone have this?

StealthHawk
02-13-03, 03:27 AM
good thread on the same question here http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5346

i have the Sennheiser HD580s, and they are great. best $100 i ever spent.

Smokey
02-13-03, 05:46 AM
The best forums I know of for headphones is Head fi (http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/index.php?)

Also keep in mind that going with higher quality headphones, you may need an amp to drive them.

nin_fragile14
02-13-03, 08:29 AM
Sennhesier HD600

SocketAzzWipe
02-13-03, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Smokey
The best forums I know of for headphones is Head fi (http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/index.php?)

Also keep in mind that going with higher quality headphones, you may need an amp to drive them.
Well...since the Grado 325s have a very low impedence, would I still need to buy an amp?

Smokey
02-13-03, 03:28 PM
I dont know much about expensive cans, I had a budget of 50 did some reading and ended up getting the Sennheiser HD212Pros. I needed closed cans, mainly for games, then music and dvds.

Your looking at cans that are much better than mine and much more expensive :p As to your question, Ive done some more reading, and I believe that to get the most of any cans in that price range you whould use an amp. Also seems like alot of people love those Grado 325s, HD600 are another great set of cans from what Ive read, nin_fragile14 can confirm that also ;)

The Baron
02-13-03, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by nin_fragile14
Sennhesier HD600

A man after my own heart. Or at least my brother's, close enough (I get all my headphones from him--8 grand or so in extra college scholarships that must be spent on things relating to music equals lots and lots of headphones and speakers and amps...). Amazon has them for $300, I believe.

Now, if you were to get a card with a decent headphone preamp (the M-Audio Duo comes to mind, but I don't know how well it works in games--will have to see), they'll sound UN-FRIGGIN-BELIEVABLE. But otherwise, you'll be severely limited in regards to sound quality by your sound card.

Riptide
02-13-03, 10:39 PM
$300 for a pair of headphones? Holy mackerel, that's ridiculous! :eek:

Smokey
02-14-03, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by The Baron
A man after my own heart. Or at least my brother's, close enough (I get all my headphones from him--8 grand or so in extra college scholarships that must be spent on things relating to music equals lots and lots of headphones and speakers and amps...). Amazon has them for $300, I believe.

Now, if you were to get a card with a decent headphone preamp (the M-Audio Duo comes to mind, but I don't know how well it works in games--will have to see), they'll sound UN-FRIGGIN-BELIEVABLE. But otherwise, you'll be severely limited in regards to sound quality by your sound card.

From what I have read, the Revo is better sounding than the Audigy2 for music and dvds, but has problems with games, high cpu usage ect. If your after the best soundcard for gaming, music and dvds, I believe the Audigy2 is the way to go. I too would love the HD600s, but the price, plus an amp plus a new cable, is just a bit too pricey for me :p

StealthHawk
02-15-03, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by Smokey
plus an amp plus a new cable, is just a bit too pricey for me :p

amen to that. amps are expensive....so are cables :(

The Baron
02-15-03, 03:31 PM
Not ridiculous. You don't get the vibration feeling in your chest that you get with speakers. You do, however, get the audio quality of a speakers costing about 10 times that amount of money if you pair it with a decent amp.

Which is nice, to say the least. ;)

HurgleBurgle
02-21-03, 02:47 AM
On a related note... Will a Santa Cruz sound card be able to drive HD570s properly or should I look into getting an amp? Headphone amps cost more than the damn headphones@!!@!

NeoGeo
02-21-03, 08:26 AM
my friend is using a pair of Beyer DT231s through his computer, for the money, they sound fantastic, running through my Yamaha amp they work even better..

i tried my friends Senheiser HD2000s (i think) and they sounded crap! Those run at 64 ohms, whereas the Grados and Beyers use 32 ohms, and should be fine running from your PC..

StealthHawk
02-21-03, 03:36 PM
what in the world are the HD2000s?

Smokey
02-21-03, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by StealthHawk
what in the world are the HD2000s?

Doing a quick specs check, I think he means the HD200's they have 64ohms impendance. I was thinking of getting those because of price, but was recommended the HD212Pros, the HD200's are meant to sound pretty bad, and Im very happy with my HD212Pros, they are no HD580/600s but still for the price, are great :p

HurgleBurgle, if the cans you are talking about are white, then they are the HD200s
http://www.sennheiser.co.uk/images/HD200_big.gif

NeoGeo
02-21-03, 06:11 PM
thats them HD200s, they sound crap compared to the cheaper Beyers, perhaps down to the 64 ohm impedance.. i dunno

HurgleBurgle
02-22-03, 03:09 AM
I guess noone really knows, huh? Oh well.
I ordered the lowest priced portable amp I could find that would run off an ac adaptor ($119 Headroom Airhead). The headphones cost $130 (they are definitely HD570s). A lot of cash to plop down on headphones. I hope it'll be worth it. :jammin:

Smokey
02-22-03, 07:17 AM
You should really love 'em. I guess this is your first time buying kinda rich headphones? I am yet to buy cans of the same callibar, but am sure you will be blown away :thumbsup:

Also when you get them, can you post some feedback and the difference the amp makes, would really like your feedback on that. I dont need one for mine, just for feature refrence :p

The Baron
02-22-03, 11:25 AM
Hmmm... Never used a Santa Cruz, so I can't say for sure. But the front headphone port on my SBLive 5.1 LiveDrive thingamabob drives them pretty well, and the headphone port on the NAD receiver next to me drives them GREAT.

The things that have serious problems driving them are like MiniDisc players and Discmans and stuff like that.

kyleb
02-23-03, 01:41 AM
i use some koss i got from radioshack that are realy nice for 40$. well to be truthful i bought a differnt pair about two years ago that snaped at one of the earpeices in six moths, swaped them out for the same thing that broke again. but i bought the extended waranty for 10$ with it while they were on sale for 30$ knowing they looked like they might break. now i have a new repalcement design from koss that i got on the waranty that sound just as good and have lasted a year without showing any signs of snaping any time soon.

point being they are great for the price and have a mic on them as well. however, i could use another set of headphones and i would not mind geting my hands on something even nicer if it is out there, but i do need a mic and i didn't see any of the ones mentioned above with that feature.

so to expand on the question, hopeing SocketAzzWipe, does not mind; what are the best headphones you all know of with a mic?

HurgleBurgle
02-23-03, 01:51 AM
Sure... I'll post my impressions when they come. They were actually here and on a delivery truck on Friday, but they delayed the delivery. Guess they don't like giving people two day from Cali (to Maryland) when you only pay for express saver. heh. Amp maybe by mid-week or so.

HurgleBurgle
02-26-03, 01:45 PM
Initial impressions: WOW. The bass is a little weak and starts to distort at high volume, but otherwise these things kick the crap out of anything I've had before. I'm hearing stuff that before I could only here on my car stereo. Clarity is good. I have to amost max out the volume for a good listening level. The amp should come today and fix that problem and hopefully make these things sound even better.

HurgleBurgle
02-27-03, 02:49 AM
Well the amp came and definitely gives me a better range of volume and brings out a little bit more of the music. Not sure it's really worth the $119, but if I ever go to even higher end cans, it'll be a must.

All in all, I'm pretty satisfied.

:)

Smokey
02-27-03, 07:41 AM
Great stuff :thumbsup: dont forget they need some breaking in first ;) and should sound better.

Cpntrips
03-05-03, 12:19 AM
I use Grado SR-325s with an Audigy 2 platinum using the headphone jack on the breakout box. Sound quality is excellent and no amp is needed. I find myself listening to mp3s on my computer much more than listening to cds on my home system.