PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading, help me out :)

ChiBChombo
08-13-06, 07:25 PM
Alright well my computer is having a bunch of problems lately, the 700W power supply blew up, so I'm ordering a new one... While doing this, I'm thinking of upgrading my comp. This is what I have right now:

Asus A8N32-Sli Deluxe
AMD Athlon 64 FX60
x2 eVGA 7900 GTX 512 Superclocked
Corsair XMS Pro 2 GB (2 x 1GB)
X-Fi Fatal1ty
150GB Raptor 10,000 RPM
Plextor DVD/CD-Rom RW
Dell 24 inch screen
Lexta case

Thats it, didn't mention the power supply that blew up... But this is what i'm thinking of getting:

x2 eVGA 7950GX2 Quad Sli
PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 1KW EPS12 Sli PSU
1 GB More of RAM
Swiftech Apogee CPU Cooling Water-Block

Alright, now heres some questions:

How big is the difference between the 7900 GTX and the 7950GX2 Quad Sli?
I see people saying its not worth it because Quad Sli isn't supported yet, and that 7900 GTX Is faster, any thoughts?

Is that PSU compatible with everything else I have?

If I do get x2 7950GX2, Do I need anything else to get them to work?

Swiftech Apogee cooling comes with everything needed included? Or do I need to buy anything?

Please answer these questions, I really want to upgrade :)

Edit: Forgot to ask, is it possible to send back the two 7900 GTX superclocked to Newegg.com in a way of payment for the 7950GX2? Or am I stuck with them and have to sell them somewhere else IF i do upgrade?

Thank you.

Redeemed
08-13-06, 07:29 PM
Well, I could answer those questions- but it'd cost you practically what your system is worth. ;) :D

I'll PM you my shipping address. Soon as that system arrives I'll answer your questions. :D :D :D

Xion X2
08-14-06, 10:30 AM
If I were you, I'd wait until the DX10 cards arrive to upgrade. There's really no point in upgrading to QuadSLi from SLi'd 7900GTX's unless you plan on keeping the 7950's for quite a while, and they're not DX10 compatible. You're going to get about the same performance as your current setup with Quad also, because it is still extremely new to the market with immature drivers.

Quad will benefit you in the future once it's supported well on the driver end, but by that time the DX10 cards will probably be out and you could upgrade to them for a serious increase in performance.

As for whether or not you can send them back to newegg, it depends on how long ago you bought them? I think newegg's return policy is 30 days(?) If they're eVGA cards then you can step up to the 7950 for free as long as it's within 90 days of the purchase.

Don't pay any attention to Redeemed. If this is all too confusing just send your setup on over to my address and I'll figure this alllllllllllllllllll out for you. ;) :D

ChiBChombo
08-14-06, 03:23 PM
When are the DX10 Cards coming out? and also, whats a good 3DMark or something I can buy? If you could link me to one it would be better, thanks.

Athena
08-14-06, 03:41 PM
DX10 will only be on Vista only not XP so DX9 will be what the video game companies develop for for a couple few more years. Why? because the adoption rate of new OSs is just to slow to only develope for the new OS vs the mega millions of users still on DX9 XP based systems.

That said you would have to be silly to upgrade your video cards from SLI GTX to Quad GT. But its your money. Have fun with it the way you want to not us. :)

ChiBChombo
08-14-06, 10:46 PM
Jakup, or anyone else that knows. If I buy the Swiftech Apogee water block, do I need anything else to get it working? Any special liquid, or any hose or anything? If i do, could you tell me which ones etc?

SH64
08-14-06, 10:58 PM
I think the upgrade from 7900GTX SLI to 7950GX2 Quad isnt worth it for the time being.
i'd say stick with your current config & save your pennies :)