PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade time

faraday
08-14-06, 09:37 AM
I'm considering upgrading my AGP system to a conroe, mainly because I'm a gfx ***** and love FPS's :D

So what I have right now is:

AMD64 3000+ 754 (first generation AMD64)
2x512mb Twinmos DDR3200 CL3
Geforce 6800 AGP (Vanilla)
Audigy2
Asus K8V SE Deluxe

and was considering...
Asus P5B
Intel Core2 Duo E6400
2GB Corsair Value Kit 667

...and for the VGA, I'm still considering between a 7950GX2 and a X1900XT 512MB.

I can get the X1900XT for 320 eur and the 7950GX2 for roughly 590 eur. I don't even know if it works with the asus P5B.

Does this seem like a worthwhile upgrade or should I wait some more?

Thanks.

Lazaredz
08-14-06, 10:41 AM
Looks like the right track but I would wait for about a month. Conroes SHOULD have better availability and the prices will come down to MSRP levels. Same story with the motherboards AND there will be more models available PLUS all those incompatability issues should have been clarified/corrected by then. Also the X1900XTX should be on the sceene by then offering another option PLUS (hopefully) driving down the price of the X1900XT and 7950GX2 a bit.

Also, bit of advise. IF you can afford it, get an X-Fi at the same time. Everyone that has gone from an Audigy 2 to the X-Fi has RAVED about it. Also consider DDR800 over the 667. Allows more room for overclocking while retaining the same memmory ratio. The Conroes are doing fairly well with stock cooling and overclocking so it would be silly NOT to bump it up just a bit.

But thats just me.

Cheers!

faraday
08-14-06, 11:22 AM
I'm not usually one to buy pre-built pc's - since I'm a computer engineer, that's a disgrace :D - but the place where I'm getting this is quite capable, and they set-up the machines with a OC at 2.7ghz, which is more than enough to me.

My first plan was just to upgrade my AMD64 rig, but it seems I'm better off just keeping it as a media center and getting a new one, since most of the parts are already subpar.

I'll prolly get a XiFi , should be a nice setup with my sennheiser HD280 headphones.

ViN86
08-14-06, 11:32 AM
if i were you, id get a 7600 to hold me over, then get a G80 or R600 when they get released. that might also give you some time to wait for a DFI nforce 590 intel.

faraday
08-14-06, 11:48 AM
a 7600GT ? why? isn't that a PCIe only part? My current system is AGP. And if youre talking about getting it for the new system, the price difference from that to the X1900XT wouldn't be significative

ViN86
08-14-06, 12:09 PM
1. its for the new system and its PCIe
2. its a $200 (USD) difference from the x1900xt
3. DX10 (google G80 and R600) cards are around the corner and i think it would be pointless to buy a top of the line card now. rumor has it, we will see these cards in Q4 2006.

if youre worried about price, then buy an even cheaper card.

im not saying get that card to use for good. im saying, get a cheap card to hold you over then get a top of the line card. theres a lot of good hardware on the horizon. im just talking about video cards. conroe is definitely the way to go in terms of platform/CPU.

and
4. significative isnt a word :p

faraday
08-14-06, 12:26 PM
http://www.yourdictionary.com/ahd/s/s0400700.html

it is a word, I'm just not sure if it's applied correctly in that sentence. (english is not my main language, sorry).

Lazaredz
08-14-06, 12:33 PM

it is a word, I'm just not sure if it's applied correctly in that sentence. (english is not my main language, sorry).

DOH!!!!

ViN86
08-14-06, 12:36 PM

wow, pwnt, lol.

personally, i could care less what you get.... i just dont see a point in buying a top of the line card when something better is just around the corner for the same price. plus, youre going to need HDCP for vista if you want HD playback, but do whatever you want....

faraday
08-14-06, 12:56 PM
Thanks for your help.

EDIT: Btw. What's the currently expected release date for Windows Vista? Also, last I heard, HDCP also requires a HDCP compliant screen, and I've heard (not sure if it's true) that they scratched the downspampling-if-you-dont-have-hdcp feature.

ViN86
08-14-06, 01:38 PM
Thanks for your help.

EDIT: Btw. What's the currently expected release date for Windows Vista? Also, last I heard, HDCP also requires a HDCP compliant screen, and I've heard (not sure if it's true) that they scratched the downspampling-if-you-dont-have-hdcp feature.
yea, it appears it requires an HDCP monitor as well. seems like most monitors will be going to the new HDMI standard as well.

im going to try and bank on the fact that someone will figure out a way around HDCP. but atm, its too soon to tell.