PDA

View Full Version : Zalman VF700Cu - comments and questions

Tuork
08-14-06, 10:45 AM
By far the loudest component in my rig was my video card's HSF. I have a 6800GT OC AGP, the ones that come with the dual fan cooling solution.

I bought meself a VF700 Cu to replace it, and I can honestly say that Zalman has yet again proved to be a great buy (I already own a 7000Cu for my CPU).

Installation was a breeze, but it did take I while since I am very anal when it comes to my computer, and there was a lot of excess thermal paste that had to be removed. (I have some pics, but I need to resize them).

Temperature drops where immediate. I went from above 60C++ to 44C idle. That alone is worth the price of purchase. Using rthdribl my load temperature never exceeded 68C.
All this using the thermal paste provided by Zalman. I'm pretty sure the results would be even better with some Artic Silver.

Regarding noise levels, this is MUCH better than the stock HSF. The difference can be seen immediately.

This brings me to the questions:
How can I change between silent and normal modes? According to the specs, these are the two possible modes. Are they automatically adjusted based on temperature?
Is there any way to control the rpms through SpeedFan? Or can I use the fanmate2 controller from my 7000cu?

I was debating between the AC Aero and this. I can honestly say I am not dissapointed at all.... how could I be with all this shiny copper in my rig? :D

Rayman1968
08-14-06, 12:17 PM
Silent and normal mode are determined by which plug you use on the molex adapter (one is black, the other white). Not sure if you can use a fanmate control with it or not though.

Tuork
08-15-06, 04:56 PM
Silent and normal mode are determined by which plug you use on the molex adapter (one is black, the other white). Not sure if you can use a fanmate control with it or not though.

Ah, crap... Right now it's connected straight into the case fan thinger from my mobo.

I'll try the fanmate adapter and report back. Anyone know if I can use speedfan to control the vf700?

Rytr
08-15-06, 05:00 PM
One connection is 12V and the other is either 5V or 7V. You should be able to use the fanmate on the 12V.

Lazaredz
08-15-06, 05:55 PM
I'm currently using speedfan to control my vf700. No problems at all.

Tuork
08-15-06, 09:53 PM
I'm currently using speedfan to control my vf700. No problems at all.

Oh sweet!
care to enlighten me? I've had a gander and read the FAQs, but I have yet to hear less noise from it.

snowmanwithahat
08-15-06, 10:05 PM
i plugged mine into a drive bay fan controller... also, no problem, it works great for controlling the fans without opening up my case

crainger
08-15-06, 10:28 PM
Oh sweet!
care to enlighten me? I've had a gander and read the FAQs, but I have yet to hear less noise from it.

What did when I have a 700 was to plug it into my motherboard and use speedfan to raise the speed when the gpu temps went up

Roadhog
08-15-06, 10:43 PM
I ordered a VF700-CU for my 7900GT a few days ago. This will be my third VF700. The VF700 kicks ass. :D /sentence structure

Starscream
08-16-06, 10:11 AM
I agree very good heatsinks, I've used several 700's for customers and recently got myself a VF900-CU.

I think Zalman makes some of the best cooling products and they are pretty much all I sell.