PDA

View Full Version : Does Space Rangers 2 play like Galactic Civ?

flukester
08-14-06, 11:59 AM
Hey can anyone tell me if these two games are of the same type? I bought Space Rangers 2 and it is very fun game, hard, but fun and I am wondering if Galactic Civilation is the same kind of game..

Really appreciate your input!

Thanks

Becoming
08-14-06, 12:36 PM
GalCiv 2 is like Civilization in space. It's hard to make a direct comparison to Space Rangers 2 since that game is such a weird combination of things.

I really like GalCiv 2 though, the custom ship making and smart AI (plus some amusing dialog) really make it a fun time if you like 4x type games.

flukester
08-14-06, 02:30 PM
Do you fly around in Galactic Civ or do you just click click click and read read read?

Space Rangers 2 is an awesome game. Damn addicting I'll tell ya! I didn't even think I'd like the game, but finding it in the bargain bin for $20, I figured, what the hell. Glad I bought it, even if it has super lame Starforce junk on it.

Becoming
08-14-06, 04:37 PM
The battles in GalCiv 2 aren't real time per se. IE; you just point your ships in the right direction and they do battle if there are hostiles there. The real strategy is in outfitting your ships and technology research for new weapons and so forth (as far as the battles go anyway). You have limited space for attaching anything from armor, to weapons, to life support (this is all improvable by research) so you really have to figure out what kind of ships to produce for a fleet to be successful. I find it more engaging and interesting than Civ 4 personally.

You can also make a custom race to play as and along with the deep ship options it really makes it possible to have very different games every time you play.

There is a demo so I'd check that out to see the basics of it all and figure out if it interests you. As a bonus, there is NO copy protection at all in GalCiv 2, you won't need to swap discs in, you can purchase it online to download, and the updates for it (which are fairly frequent) really add to the game quite a bit. Stardock is one company I'm glad to fork over some cash to. They treat their customers like they should and their support is just awesome.

flukester
08-15-06, 08:48 AM
The battles in GalCiv 2 aren't real time per se. IE; you just point your ships in the right direction and they do battle if there are hostiles there. The real strategy is in outfitting your ships and technology research for new weapons and so forth (as far as the battles go anyway). You have limited space for attaching anything from armor, to weapons, to life support (this is all improvable by research) so you really have to figure out what kind of ships to produce for a fleet to be successful. I find it more engaging and interesting than Civ 4 personally.

You can also make a custom race to play as and along with the deep ship options it really makes it possible to have very different games every time you play.

There is a demo so I'd check that out to see the basics of it all and figure out if it interests you. As a bonus, there is NO copy protection at all in GalCiv 2, you won't need to swap discs in, you can purchase it online to download, and the updates for it (which are fairly frequent) really add to the game quite a bit. Stardock is one company I'm glad to fork over some cash to. They treat their customers like they should and their support is just awesome.

Thanks for the information, I think this game then isn't for me. Too slow and sounds boring. I think I'll checkout Darkstar One, seems like something I am more interested in.

I base this also on the fact I've also talked to others because I figured I wasn't going to get any feedback here and it does seem GC2 is very slow and can be very boring. So with all the input, thanks to the inputer here as well I feel pretty good dishing out cash for Darkstar One..

Right now I am pretty immersed into Space Rangers 2, a fantastic game imo and a hell of a lot of fun to play. My ship kicks so much butt the computer literally spends it's time running away from me (course I upgraded my speed too, so they barely get away, hehehe). The only thing I hate about SR 2 is the Starforce but the game has worked fine even with that..

Becoming
08-15-06, 01:51 PM
I find it a lot more fun than Civ IV, but 4x games aren't everyone's cup of tea for sure. I found them more interesting (and easier to get into) when I began to think of them as really elaborate, interactive board games rather than a video game. For some strange reason I really began to enjoy them more after getting past that mental speed bump.

arioch21
08-15-06, 07:33 PM
wasnt Darkstar One suppose to be out yesterday ?, did anyone get it ?, im curious about how good it is, so far reviews have been decent for it.

Stoneyguy
08-15-06, 09:51 PM
I have both Space Rangers 2 and Gal Civ 2. They are nothing alike. Space Rangers is far more action oriented while Gal Civ is more strategy/resource management. Both are great games. Sadly I had to get rid of Space Rangers 2 because of it's crappy copy protection was causing problems with my PC.

|MaguS|
08-15-06, 09:55 PM
SR2 is an RTS (Realtime Strategy) while GC2 is a TBS (Turn Based Strategy).

Becoming
08-15-06, 11:16 PM
To call SR2 an rts really doesn't communicate what it actually is. It's a large variety of very different things and only a very small part of it is what I'd consider to be an rts.