PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Question

nV`andrew
08-14-06, 04:17 PM
Hey, i was wondering if both versions of the ps3 have the High Definition cables like the 360 does. It said that only the $600 version supports HDMI. But would you still get the same cables if you bought the $500 version so that you get the HD quality on an HDTV? thanks

brady
08-14-06, 04:52 PM
Hey, i was wondering if both versions of the ps3 have the High Definition cables like the 360 does. It said that only the $600 version supports HDMI. But would you still get the same cables if you bought the $500 version so that you get the HD quality on an HDTV? thanks

As I understand it the $500 version does not have HDMI. That does not mean that the $500 version cannot display HD.

Bad_Boy
08-14-06, 06:12 PM
The cables that will come with each versions of the ps3 have not been anounced just yet. I assume we will know more around TGS time.

Clyde_TTU
08-14-06, 08:54 PM
I've also heard that the $500 version does not support gameplay

nrdstrm
08-14-06, 08:58 PM
Magus could probably answer better, but I'm pretty sure you can get high def on both boxes, but only the $600 version will include HDMI (1080i and 1080p if I'm not mistaken). If this turns out to be the case, I will spend the extra hundred bucks on the HDMI version (also with a bigger hard drive). I don't have an HD set yet, but I can't see it being that far off (sometime early after the first of the year)...

ENU291
08-14-06, 09:02 PM
The best guess is that the $500 PS3 will come with component HD cables and the $600 PS3 will come with an HDMI HD cable.

Bad_Boy
08-14-06, 09:03 PM
I've also heard that the $500 version does not support gameplay
huh? Both versions support 1080p in gameplay and movies.

ENU291
08-14-06, 09:04 PM
huh? Both versions support 1080p in gameplay and movies.
I believe Cylde was being sarcastic... (I hope.. )

|MaguS|
08-14-06, 09:07 PM
Magus could probably answer better, but I'm pretty sure you can get high def on both boxes, but only the $600 version will include HDMI (1080i and 1080p if I'm not mistaken). If this turns out to be the case, I will spend the extra hundred bucks on the HDMI version (also with a bigger hard drive). I don't have an HD set yet, but I can't see it being that far off (sometime early after the first of the year)...

Both versions can play games at resolutions up to 1080p depending if the game supports that given resolution. As for movies, they both can play BR movies at 1080p as long as the movie does not have ICT protection on it which up till now the industry (Warner and Paramount are the only ones who openly support ICT) has stated that they will not release any (or many) with the protection untill there are actual displays on the market that can support it aswell since a player and media with it is useless if the display doesn't support it.

HDMI is just for ICT protection when/if it is used, you need a compatible display in any case for HDMI/ICT to be a factor. Even then if ICT is used you still can play games at 1080p (if supported) since they are not limited by ICT in any shape or form.

1080p is 100% supported through component video and VGA Cables for gaming and even early Blu-Ray movies.

No clue on what cables will be included with the PS3, that is up to sony to announce.

Just to make this clear aswell, ICT is in HD-DVD aswell. So the X360 will have an issue with ICT HD-DVD movies once they start hitting the market.

Bad_Boy
08-14-06, 09:07 PM
I believe Cylde was being sarcastic... (I hope.. )

lol, i had to re-read his post. I thought he was talking about HD support in the 500 dollar version. I missed the sarcasm, mybad. :D :o

ENU291
08-14-06, 09:10 PM
Both versions can play games at resolutions up to 1080p depending if the game supports that given resolution. As for movies, they both can play BR movies at 1080p as long as the movie does not have ICT protection on it which up till now the industry (Warner and Paramount are the only ones who openly support ICT) has stated that they will not release any (or many) with the protection untill there are actual displays on the market that can support it aswell since a player and media with it is useless if the display doesn't support it.

HDMI is just for ICT protection when/if it is used, you need a compatible display in any case for HDMI/ICT to be a factor. Even then if ICT is used you still can play games at 1080p (if supported) since they are not limited by ICT in any shape or form.

1080p is 100% supported through component video and VGA Cables for gaming and even early Blu-Ray movies.

No clue on what cables will be included with the PS3, that is up to sony to announce.

Just to make this clear aswell, ICT is in HD-DVD aswell. So the X360 will have an issue with ICT HD-DVD movies once they start hitting the market.Another benefit to HDMI is that the one cable combines both digital audio and video. It's a nice, simplified way to interconnect AV gear.

|MaguS|
08-14-06, 09:12 PM
Another benefit to HDMI is that the one cable combines both digital audio and video. It's a nice, simplified way to interconnect AV gear.

Eh, I use digital output... never saw a combined output as a benefit considering that AV Cables have been coming with audio cables for awhile now.

evilchris
08-14-06, 09:44 PM
Just to make this clear aswell, ICT is in HD-DVD aswell. So the X360 will have an issue with ICT HD-DVD movies once they start hitting the market.

My 360 will be in the trash when this happens.

oldsk00l
08-14-06, 11:53 PM
There is going to be a $400 version, but it won't have an optical drive. It won't play any discs.

jAkUp
08-15-06, 12:07 AM
Is the PS3 going to be able to do 1080p? I heard rumors a while back that it may only be capable of 1080i on most titles...

|MaguS|
08-15-06, 12:12 AM
Is the PS3 going to be able to do 1080p? I heard rumors a while back that it may only be capable of 1080i on most titles...

Depends on the title really, GT4 Tech Demo was running at 1080p. Resistence was shooting it but decided to go for 720p/1080i at a rock steady frame rate.