PDA

View Full Version : A Couple of Motherboard Qs...

Subtestube
08-14-06, 08:21 PM
So.. I'm going to be starting my own Core 2 build (finally retiring the hard working ol' P4 2.4) in the next couple of weeks, and I thought that some people here might have some useful insights into the motherboards I'm considering.

So, my options, basically, are the Asus P5B (If any of the NZ online stores I like will actually stock it, which I figure they may in the next couple of days), the Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, the Gigabyte GA-965P-S3, the Intel DG965WH and the Intel DP965LT. I'd consider going upmarket, but there'd have to be a very good reason. I can't see a particularly good argument for getting a motherboard with 2 graphics slots if SLI won't be supported anyway (and at this stage, I'm unwilling to wait for the seemingly eternal time that it's going to take for the 570 and 590 Intel based boards to come out), and the 975 is out of my pricerange (besides which, I'm not terribly interested in dual graphics - I only really want two slots, potentially, for GPU physics if it ends up taking off, and I believe that'll require SLi as well).

My questions really areas follows:

What's the difference, besides the network adapter, between the Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 and the Gigabyte GA-965P-S3? As far as I can tell there's nothing - both have only one graphics slot (I think), and the S3 is significantly cheaper.

Is there a significant advantage to the Asus board over the other alternatives?

Is that Sigmatel Audio erm... thing, on the Intel boards likely to be significantly worse than the integrated audio on the others? I'm not going to buy a Sound Card yet, because I'd like to see how well integrated Audio actually ends up working. If I need a sound card, I'll buy it after the fact. Because of that, I'd quite like *good* onboard sound to start with, and I fear that the reason the Intel made boards are so much cheaper than those from Asus and Gigabyte will have something to do with stuff like that audio controller. I realise that the G965 based one has integrated video as well, which I don't plan to use, but there is a potential advantage there: it actually provides a backup GPU for if my real card (likely a 7600 GT for now) craps out.

EDIT: Also, how likely is it that that large passive heatsink on the Intel G965 board would interfere with a Zalman CNPS 9500?

So... any answers to those not terribly well constructed questions?

Lazaredz
08-14-06, 09:01 PM
I believe the differance between the 2 Gigabyte boards is the DS3 has SOLID capacitors as opposed to the liquid ones on the S3. I THINK some have said this leads to better stability and high OCs.

Asus, well some people still ride the name. Actually aren't Asus and Gigabyte in merger talks? Anywho, I don't see any REAL differance, again OCs have "been better" on the Asus board .... per internet rumor.

Not sure on the Intel bit other than no OC for you there.

Thats about all I can add.

Subtestube
08-16-06, 07:48 PM
So... hang on, is Overclocking not a possibility with Intel branded motherboards?

Subtestube
08-17-06, 04:10 PM
Apologies for bumping this again, but I really would like to know the answer to that question - can one not overclock on intel branded motherboards? Or are they just terribly bad for it?

Lazaredz
08-17-06, 04:43 PM
As far asI am aware Intel boards do not allow for changing the FSB (and of course the multipliers are chip locked .... except for the X6800).

Subtestube
08-17-06, 05:07 PM
Cheers! Not that I'm a big overclocker, but I like to keep my options open - won't be getting that then!

dream64bit
04-19-07, 01:41 AM
Can a e4300 Core 2 Duo be Modded and it run 1066 fsb or timings of 266 instead of 200 ? I am currently using 2 gigs of rendition memory made by corsair ! 533 i believe . Would i have to change memory to ddr2 800 ? I also
hear you can run a 8800 video card in sli mode using single pci express slots .
I have the Intel DG965WH Motherboard . Waiting on a RMA FYI if you choose to use lighted case fans do not connect to the Motherboard ! Use the 12V adapter and run off the power supply . Otherwise the light runs at a blink instead of solid color ! Also might want to check the voltage the board supports before you use one without the light as well . I hope someone can
answer the questions i have Thanks in Advance

Xion X2
04-19-07, 10:09 AM
http://www.impawards.com/1985/posters/return_of_the_living_dead.jpg