PDA

View Full Version : CoD2 & "Optimize for SLI"

Pages : [1] 2

SH64
08-15-06, 01:17 AM
Today i was playing CoD2 for fun just to find out some interesting discovery.

i find out that the game is much smoother with "optimize for SLI" option disabled although that i have QuadSLI system running.
by this i mean :
With Optimize for SLI option enabled : framerate is higher but mouse lag occures @~45fps or below
With Optimize for SLI option disabled : framerate is lower but no mouse lag at all. (even 25fps feels smooth).

so in essence , cod2 is much smoother with that option disabled. give it a try if you are a SLI user & esp QuadSLIer.
i think nVIDIA might need to take a look at this serious issue.

mods if you think this thread belongs to the drivers forum , please move it.

jAkUp
08-15-06, 01:43 AM
Yea I noticed that when I used to play, I always turned off optimize for SLI.

Honostly, COD2 is just so buggy I gave up on that game

SH64
08-15-06, 01:59 AM
Yea I noticed that when I used to play, I always turned off optimize for SLI.

Honostly, COD2 is just so buggy I gave up on that game
& why didnt you tell me that!! :spank: :p

Its not just a COD2 problem .. i already experianced other games running the same way (mouse lag with SLI & no mouse lag without it).
Quake4 for exmaple.

other games though dont feel the same way .. like Call of Juarez. so its an issue that needs serious investgation.

Another problem is that most reviewers just look at the SLI numbers without experiancing the game. of course numbers with SLI are higher , but they'll be a total waste if they came accompanied with mouse lag.

for those who have no idea .. with the SLI mouse lag the game barely feels "smooth" @40fps or higher while with single GPU setups it'll be smooth even @25fps.
i'll call it "SLI Mouse Lag" from now on :D .. a new SLI issue discovered by me heh.

maybe some people will come later & deny this .. so i'll just ask them to investgate this issue carefully. like playing a game on 2 PC's , 1 equipped with SLI & the other is not to see & feel the difference. oh & its ok if that other PC comes with an ATi card as long as its a single GPU setup.

jAkUp
08-15-06, 02:59 AM
yup, thats definetely very true...

I think me and you came to this conclusion a while back, I'll be damned if I could find exactly where we posted though.. heh. When running SLI, 30FPS just does not feel like 30FPS for some reason, its almost like you need a higher framerate when running SLI to get the same feeling with a single card...

duckynv
08-15-06, 03:09 AM
The "Max Render Frames Ahead" helps with mouse lag.. set it too 1 or 0 when using the optimize Sli setting seems to make it go away for me :D

SH64
08-15-06, 03:37 AM
yup, thats definetely very true...

I think me and you came to this conclusion a while back, I'll be damned if I could find exactly where we posted though.. heh. When running SLI, 30FPS just does not feel like 30FPS for some reason, its almost like you need a higher framerate when running SLI to get the same feeling with a single card...
Thank god theres someone with me on this one!! :thumbsup:
yeah we came to that conclusion a while back & now we have a solid proof of this issue.
thats why i made a thread about it.

The "Max Render Frames Ahead" helps with mouse lag.. set it too 1 or 0 when using the optimize Sli setting seems to make it go away for me :D
Been there , done that. didnt help.
i picked Q4 for instance & changed the frames from 2 to 0 .. nothing changed.
but since you asked , i'll test it right now with CoD2 & report back.

[EOCF] Tim
08-15-06, 03:44 AM
Yea, I've heard this for quite some time now, it's a kinda weird issue.... :(

SH64
08-15-06, 03:50 AM
Ok .. tested with max frames to render ahead @1 & @0 .. TBH its a little better but its still lagging. (maybe in the case of "1" you'd feel the lag @30-35fps).
i can easily figure that when i compare the same game between 2 of my PCs.
i did try COD2 with both my X1900 PC & my SLI PC .. the difference is CLEAR!! on the X1900 (or any other single GPU card for that matter whether its nvidia or ati GPU) its smooth even when in 20s .. heck even in high teens.. i mean you can still aim with confidence while its not that possible with the SLI PC since you need more than just 30fps to aim precisely.

duckynv
08-15-06, 08:54 AM
Yep! i 2nd the "kinda weird issue" !

J-Mag
08-15-06, 11:51 AM
Does the mouse lag go away if you force SFR as I think CoD2 is AFR default isn't it?

SH64
08-15-06, 07:49 PM
Does the mouse lag go away if you force SFR as I think CoD2 is AFR default isn't it?
I didnt force SFR on COD2 , but the issue still exsits in other SFR titles such as FarCry (though i think Farcry with newer drivers is AFR2 now) .. & most of todays games are AFR2.
the number of SFR titles is dwindling ..

AMC_Duke
08-22-06, 01:23 AM
I join the club but i just got 1 7950gx2 but i did not mess with the sli settings and its realy sad that such things happen:thumbdwn:

jAkUp
08-22-06, 01:45 AM
I didnt force SFR on COD2 , but the issue still exsits in other SFR titles such as FarCry (though i think Farcry with newer drivers is AFR2 now) .. & most of todays games are AFR2.
the number of SFR titles is dwindling ..

With DX10 games, SFR should be extinct. Thank god :)

SH64
08-22-06, 03:18 AM
I join the club but i just got 1 7950gx2 but i did not mess with the sli settings and its realy sad that such things happen:thumbdwn:
Yeah & what makes it even worse , when people/SLI users dont compare this to other single GPU setups will think its something normal & move on with it :(

thats why there seems no one's paying attention to this issue.

AMC_Duke
08-23-06, 12:53 AM
Yeah & what makes it even worse , when people/SLI users dont compare this to other single GPU setups will think its something normal & move on with it :(

thats why there seems no one's paying attention to this issue.

I hope nvidia is aware of this crap :thumbdwn:

AMC_Duke
08-23-06, 02:44 PM
does this "Sli Mouselag" only accor on 7950 systems or on every sli system ?

SH64
08-23-06, 04:44 PM
does this "Sli Mouselag" only accor on 7950 systems or on every sli system ?
Every SLI system as i tested.
(experianced SLI mouse lag on 6800GT SLI , 7800GTX SLI , 7950GX2 & 7950GX2 QuadSLI).

Ninjaman09
08-24-06, 01:39 PM
This "SLI mouse lag" issue is one of the main reasons I ditched SLI in the first place. It was omnipresent in my games and when 60fps feels like 15fps there's a problem.

nadalife
09-16-06, 09:24 AM
This Mouse lag issue Happens to me on any Opengl game (quake 4,prey.......ect...) if i enable vsync and use sli rendering at the same time. It is very noticable in the game menus. Nothing that i have done over the past few months has made any difference.

Rieper
09-16-06, 09:30 AM
Here is my COD2 profile from nvapps.xml, using my Quad-SLI rig:

<PROFILE Label="Call of Duty 2">
<APPLICATION Label="cod2demo.exe"/>
<APPLICATION Label="cod2sp_s.exe"/>
<APPLICATION Label="cod2mp_s.exe"/>
<PROPERTY Label="multichip_rendering_mode" Value="0x00402001" Itemtype="predefined"/>
</PROFILE>

I opened the nvapps.xml file using Microsoft Frontpage and edited the SLI profile for Quake 4 as well, using the same one for Call of Duty 2. No issues in either game. Both run smooth as butter at 2560x1600 on my Dell 3007.

I have no mouse lag, and no jerkiness. I don't use V-sync.

I'm really into this game right now, having not played it since it originally came out.

SH64
09-16-06, 05:15 PM
I'm running CoD2 with SLI8xAA now .. this seems to be the best option to play CoD2 smoothly with high AA (optimize for SLI is disabled).
no mouse-lag as i can tell.

Both run smooth as butter at 2560x1600 on my Dell 3007.
I think your CPU is doing a very good work there!

Rieper
09-16-06, 06:48 PM
I'm running CoD2 with SLI8xAA now .. this seems to be the best option to play CoD2 smoothly with high AA (optimize for SLI is disabled).
no mouse-lag as i can tell.

I think your CPU is doing a very good work there!

I was surprised to see how smoothly it ran @ 2560x1600 the first time I booted Q4 and COD2. Q4 gives me dips into the 40s, but usually getting 60fps. COD2 however, is soo smooth, I swear I'm getting 60-70fps. I love the way it glides/pans whenever I turn in the game.

That's why it still bothers me to this very day, that I can't seem to get Age of Empires 3 to run without jerkiness when rapidly scrolling across the screen.

One of theses days, I'll find the right SLI profile for AOE3... I like playing it soo much, I'm not giving up just yet.

Burnt_Ram
09-18-06, 09:52 PM
i have the mouse lag problem with COD2 aswell. sure would be nice to see it get sorted out one day!

nekrosoft13
09-18-06, 11:39 PM
i never witnessed that mouse lag :|

SH64
09-19-06, 12:27 AM
i never witnessed that mouse lag :|
Then you should be happy that you are not as sensitive to the mouse response as we are :)