PDA

View Full Version : 6600GT 100c

lord_lobster
08-15-06, 07:24 AM
my 6600GT is running at 100C in games. i have two pc the other has 7800GTX SLI in it and they dont get that hot. is this normal for a 6600GT if not what should i do.

RejZoR
08-15-06, 07:44 AM
Auch! 100C! O_o Mine doesn't go much higher than 65C on full load when it's really hot in my room (summer). I'm using a bit modified cooling though, but nothing special.
There must be something seriosuly wrong with the cooling.
Check if the fan is spinning, also clean any kind of dust from it.
Also touch the heatsink on graphic card when it says that it's this hot. If you burn yourself or you just can't hold your finger on it for longer than second or two it's really that hot. I'm asking because i've seen few cards (especially Gainward) that were showing much higher temperatures than they really were. Though on the other hand 100C is of the charts (all of them). Wrong readings added like 10-15C only...
Let me know what you find out regarding heatsink hotness...

lord_lobster
08-15-06, 07:49 AM
i touched it today it felt very hot, i tryed cleaning it nothing. i did upgrade to new drivers maybe thats the problem?

ATOJAR
08-15-06, 10:18 AM
Cant imagine it being the drivers, how old is the card? if i where you i would remove the cooler to see if the crappy white thermal cream has dried up like chalk, like RejZoR said did you check to see if the fan is spinning? make sure the fan is flush with the gpu, 100c is verry hot for a gfx card im suprised that your pc dosent freeze, my 7800GTX sits at 41 idle and thats overclocked!

A mate of mine asked me to go to his house to take a look at his system he said it kept freezing, i looked in the bios and the cpu was running at over 80c so i took the heatsink off and the thermal paste was dry like chalk i cleaned this off, luckily i took my little nifty pc toolbox, i have a tube of Arctic Silver 5, applied that and the cpu dropped down to 55c.

Depending on the age of the card maby the paste has dried, make sure the fan is spinning, make sure the heatsink/fan is flush with the gfx chip, every chip i have has Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste and a aftermarket cooler on, i wouldnt ever use stock cooler and the thermal paste they put on gfx chips is usually the white cheap stuff!

a12ctic
08-15-06, 10:20 AM
The fan on my other 6600GT slowly died out after a year or so, it damaged the ram on the card so i wound up rmaing it

grey_1
08-15-06, 10:26 AM
seconded on ATOJAR's suggestion.

lord_lobster
08-15-06, 10:32 AM
ok ill give that a go tommrow and let you no i dont see how it could be that my card is less the 3 months old, i have a seccond 6600GT laying around ill put that in and sea what happens. i like the one in there more because it runs on ddr 3 while th other is only ddr.

strange thing is games work 100% no chrashes or flickers maybe the thermometer it having a spazz atack?

ATOJAR
08-15-06, 10:37 AM
maybe the thermometer it having a spazz atack?

You have a point, do you not know of a program you could run to get a second opinion?

lord_lobster
08-15-06, 10:41 AM
i just tried riva Tuner that show me about the same.

ATOJAR
08-15-06, 10:47 AM
Well it cant be the gpu thermostat!

Depending on the age of the card maby the paste has dried, make sure the fan is spinning, make sure the heatsink/fan is flush with the gfx chip, every chip i have has Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste and a aftermarket cooler on, i wouldnt ever use stock cooler and the thermal paste they put on gfx chips is usually the white cheap stuff!

lord_lobster
08-16-06, 02:02 AM
i romoved alot of dust it now runs a 81 when in game 20 less but still high. you were right about the thermal cream is was dry as a bone i will replace it later and let you no what happens.

lord_lobster
08-16-06, 09:14 AM
i replaced the paste in now run at 56 when playing games.

Thanks for all your help.