PDA

View Full Version : Abit or ASUS ...?

Domy
02-13-03, 05:42 AM
i'm planning to get an nforce2 board,ok guys which is better ( ABIT vs ASUS)?i don't have time to find or read the reviews so u guys are the best to help me out.thanks BTW...!
oh...notes that i would like to overclock Xp 2100+ which is best for me ABIT or ASUS?

digitalwanderer
02-13-03, 08:48 AM
Asus. :)

saturnotaku
02-13-03, 09:58 AM
Gotta disagree with 'ya dig - Abit all the way. The NF-7 v. 2.0 should be out shortly if it isn't available already. Abit motherboards have never given me trouble. My KT7A and current KR7A-RAID have been 100% trouble free, unlike a couple other boards I've owned.

digitalwanderer
02-13-03, 12:15 PM
Feel free to disagree, I could be wrong on this since I don't know the newer mobos well. (I tend not to pay 'em much mind 'til it's close to "buy a new one!" time or else I go a bit wiggy. :rolleyes: )

I just recomended Asus since it's what I have in all me rigs and they've done me right and proper. I'm absolutely in love with their soft bios and will not buy another mobo that don't have it's equal. :)

But Abit ain't bad, I've heard nothing but good of them too...I just don't KNOW them as well as I know Asus.

saturnotaku
02-13-03, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
But Abit ain't bad, I've heard nothing but good of them too...I just don't KNOW them as well as I know Asus.

After having a bad experience with one of their DVD-ROM drives (worst. optical drive. ever.) and after P4S8X debacle, I'd personally never buy one of their products ever again. I've had experiences with MSI and Iwill that weren't very good so I'd personally stay away from them as well.

Abit has, like you said "done me right and proper." Obviously your mileage has varied. ;)

In all honesty, though, both companies make great boards. You won't go wrong with either of them. I just happen to air on the side of Abit.

FastM
02-13-03, 01:23 PM
Neither, get the Epox-8RDA+ :D

But if i could only choose between Abit and Asus, i would buy Abit. Partly because i hate the "user friendly" Asus's BIOS.

Riptide
02-13-03, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by saturnotaku
After having a bad experience with one of their DVD-ROM drives (worst. optical drive. ever.) and after P4S8X debacle, I'd personally never buy one of their products ever again.
Even after my p4s8x experience (ok, hell is more like it) I went with their P4PE/L and haven't looked back. Rock solid stability (blows the p4s8x out of the water ofcourse) at a decent price.

If you ask me, it's hard to go wrong with either Abit or Asus. Just do your homework first and make sure there aren't any issues with whichever board you want. I know the reviews said nothing of the p4s8x issues so I don't trust them any longer. Try going over to asusboards.com and checking the forums, it's chalk full of info...

gokickrocks
02-14-03, 01:31 AM
abit

Domy
02-14-03, 09:10 AM
thanks guys....!

DaveW
02-16-03, 07:54 PM
A couple of people already bought up the P4S8X but I will too. Asus deserve all the bad rep they got from it, and more than that. My P4S8X had a QA sticker on it. I checked. So what does it say about Asus's QA dept that they let so many P4S8X's ship with such major defects? I have an old Asus P4V3X too, it was a lousy overclocker and was never stable in AGP 4X. No more Asus for me.

ReDeeMeR
02-17-03, 11:56 AM
Man, if they make bad P4 boards it doesnt mean their XP boards suck, as a matter of fact they're th best nforce2 boards, but imo the price is unreasonably high so I choose Abit for my next upgrade.

The Baron
02-17-03, 12:07 PM
P4S8X was fixed in the latest BIOS flash. The problems caused by using PC2700 ram are gone since there is a change to the voltage stuff, which caused all of it.

Guy I know has one, I explained to him how to install the BIOS update and he hasn't crashed once since.

Riptide
02-19-03, 12:59 PM
Last I heard, which was a couple months ago, this fixed BIOS that was available for the p4s8x caused much slower memory performance. After loading that new BIOS people's sandra memory benchmark scores fell through the floor...

styles-T
02-19-03, 02:29 PM
My Asus is rock solid..No complaints from day one..

The Baron
02-19-03, 03:06 PM
Fixed BIOS came out in early January, if memory serves.

And memory ALWAYS serves. ;)

borntosoul
02-19-03, 06:49 PM
ive had my asus a7m 266 board since it first came out and ive had no probs with it at all, so im buying the asus nforce2 board next even though its a bit too expensive . epox are good value for money so if your on a budget it might be worth checking it out . ive never owned an abit board so i wouldnt know but from what ive heard theyre good

jnd3
02-20-03, 09:22 AM
Yes. :D

I had an Abit KT7 for about 2.5 years, and it's still going strong. Great board (except for the northbridge fan, but it worked fine without it), solid BIOS. I just installed an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe, and it's every bit as sweet (although the talking BIOS spooked me at first).

Either way, in my opinion, you can't go wrong!

Cheers,
JND

Woodelf
02-23-03, 12:39 AM
All of the review's Ive read put the a7n8x Deluxe ahead.
Epox faired well too, less feature rich though.
I'm very happy with My a7n8x deluxe.
I wanted somthing for a Barton/Koolance rig.

SnakeEyes
02-27-03, 12:13 PM
Asus (Deluxe). Assuming you want the best all-around integrated solution and great overclockability, etc.

I've owned both brands, and had my share of problems with both too. The main determining factor this time around for me was that Abit's board doesn't use the SoundStorm audio, while Asus' deluxe model does, so I am finally able to have true 5.1 sound from all my games, and still only use 1 cable between my system and my speakers. :)

(I'm sure both are excellent boards- it mostly comes down to what features you want, and how much you can / will be able to afford.)

saturnotaku
02-27-03, 02:49 PM
Does the A7N8X support changing the multiplier on Thoroughbred-B processors without modification of the CPU itself?

FastM
02-27-03, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by saturnotaku
Does the A7N8X support changing the multiplier on Thoroughbred-B processors without modification of the CPU itself?

Yes, im pretty sure all nForce2 do.

I would still buy the Epox, more overclocking options (threw voltage adjustments, not to mention the almost easy mod going around to increase NB voltage), holes for mounting HSF cooling on the SouthBridge (which does get very hot btw), And for some reason in the Asus bios at 166Mhz FSB it defaults CPU Spread Spectrum to 0.50% which is supposed to slow the cpu down to prevent EMI problems...kinda annoying.

Almost forgot...CHEAPER!!!!

dohcmark8
03-02-03, 01:49 AM
Leadtek K7NCR18-D Pro, the new revision 2 on sale at newegg now, has multipliers.

But if your to biased to open you world a little, i'd get the ASUS

sbp
03-02-03, 04:02 AM
I like both companies but prefer Asus.