PDA

View Full Version : Here is a little bit about SLI from the net!

Pages : [1] 2

ATOJAR
08-15-06, 06:11 PM
SLI is currently a niche solution in the workstation sector. At the time of press Nvidia could only quote a handful of applications that show any significant benefit from the technology and ISVs have not yet certified their applications for SLI.
In response, Nvidia says that the dual graphics card technology is still a work in progress and expects to see improvements in performance and features with every new driver release. That said it’s still likely that many applications will never benefit from SLI due to their CPU overheads, at least when it comes to speed.
Professional 3D graphics performance is a very complex issue, and the levels you can achieve are largely dependent on which application you use. Some applications will benefit from more powerful professional graphics cards, while others will be just as happy with entry-level boards. Nvidia’s Quadro SLI complicates this even further by adding two high-powered graphics to the equation. If you’re currently running out of 3D power and looking for new ways to boost performance, SLI is worth keeping an eye on to see how the technology develops, but you’re definitely not guaranteed performance gains and the old adage of try before you buy is more important than ever.

superklye
08-15-06, 06:29 PM
What is this, like 3 years old? :rolleyes2

retsam
08-15-06, 06:38 PM
What is this, like 3 years old? :rolleyes2
double :rolleyes2 ...... i dont get what point hes tring to make..

CaptNKILL
08-15-06, 06:53 PM
SLI is currently a niche solution in the workstation sector. At the time of press Nvidia could only quote a handful of applications that show any significant benefit from the technology and ISVs have not yet certified their applications for SLI.
In response, Nvidia says that the dual graphics card technology is still a work in progress and expects to see improvements in performance and features with every new driver release. That said it’s still likely that many applications will never benefit from SLI due to their CPU overheads, at least when it comes to speed.
Professional 3D graphics performance is a very complex issue, and the levels you can achieve are largely dependent on which application you use. Some applications will benefit from more powerful professional graphics cards, while others will be just as happy with entry-level boards. Nvidia’s Quadro SLI complicates this even further by adding two high-powered graphics to the equation. If you’re currently running out of 3D power and looking for new ways to boost performance, SLI is worth keeping an eye on to see how the technology develops, but you’re definitely not guaranteed performance gains and the old adage of try before you buy is more important than ever.
Heh, thanks for that... I guess... :|

err...huh? :wtf:

saturnotaku
08-15-06, 06:59 PM

(welcome)

ViN86
08-15-06, 07:08 PM
im really confused right now. im going to leave this thread before my head explodes. :confused:

Xion X2
08-15-06, 07:31 PM
What's this SLi again? Never heard of it.

crainger
08-15-06, 07:41 PM
What's this SLi again? Never heard of it.

Its actually pronounced SLiI

Seals Live in Igloos

Its the recently devised tech that nvidia developed in order to protect seals from clubbing. See having a nice home, means they are more inclinded to leave the night club and go home early.

ATOJAR
08-16-06, 01:42 AM
Im thinking about getting another 7800gtx to run in sli, the above just what somebody in our bf2 squad said they found on the net, i posted here just to see what kind of reaction i got, i guess its pretty old info then lol, havent looked into sli alot so dont really know much about it to be honest!

HighTest
08-16-06, 01:53 AM
havent looked into sli alot so dont really know much about it to be honest!

And yet you own an SLI capable motherboard. Either you through out the manual and never even saw the section on SLI, or ......

(bs)

crainger
08-16-06, 02:17 AM
And yet you own an SLI capable motherboard. Either you through out the manual and never even saw the section on SLI, or ......

(bs)

Manual??

Dude you can't make up just make up words.

ATOJAR
08-16-06, 03:30 AM

(bs)

What so if i read the manual for my car this makes me a mechanic? i dont think so..... all i know about sli is if i install another 7800gtx in my second pci-e slot i and bridge them togeather i should have sli!

crainger
08-16-06, 03:41 AM
What so if i read the manual for my car this makes me a mechanic? i dont think so..... all i know about sli is if i install another 7800gtx in my second pci-e slot i and bridge them togeather i should have sli!

plus if your board has it you need to switch the control card and/or jumpers. Other than that yeah I think its that easy. Might need to reinstall drivers though

Xion X2
08-16-06, 08:29 AM
This guy sounds like he couldn't work a gas pump, and you guys are advising him to go SLi?

Bearclaw
08-16-06, 09:00 AM
Its actually pronounced SLiI

Seals Live in Igloos

Its the recently devised tech that nvidia developed in order to protect seals from clubbing. See having a nice home, means they are more inclinded to leave the night club and go home early.
I thought it had something to do with Gib?

crainger
08-16-06, 09:15 AM
I thought it had something to do with Gib?

I think you need to go to a GA meeting.

MikeC
08-16-06, 10:52 AM
This guy sounds like he couldn't work a gas pump, and you guys are advising him to go SLi?

Stop with the rude remarks.

ATOJAR
08-16-06, 10:56 AM

Who asked your opinion?..... arsehole, im not usually a nasty person but when a forum geek like you tries to imply that im stupid!!!! thats big no no, some people have real lifes with better things to do than hold a gfx card all day while lookin at a forum........ and they where not advising me on anything!

Acutally i do know how sli is set up/works, nobody even mentioned thay have to be the same clock speeds!

MikeC
08-16-06, 11:04 AM
ATOJAR you will do fine with SLI. You don't need to be a computer geek to use it or set it up. You do need the cards to be the same clock speeds. We have a mixed vendor review and a evaluation of SLI rigs against Crossfire. :)

http://www.nvnews.net/reviews/geforce_7900_gtx/index.shtml

http://www.nvnews.net/articles/gpu_world_tour_2006/index.shtml

Xion X2
08-16-06, 11:14 AM
Sorry, I guess I layered the sarcasm on a little strong.

I was serious about it not sounding like he was ready for SLi, though. SLi can be a headache to optimize even for the very knowledgeable PC fanatics out there.

Xion X2
08-16-06, 11:16 AM
Who asked your opinion?..... arsehole, im not usually a nasty person but when a forum geek like you tries to imply that im stupid!!!! thats big no no, some people have real lifes with better things to do than hold a gfx card all day while lookin at a forum........ and they where not advising me on anything!

Acutally i do know how sli is set up/works, nobody even mentioned thay have to be the same clock speeds!

Relax, man. I was just playing with you. 3 months ago I didn't even know the specifics of SLi. :)

I'll try to tone the sarcasm down a bit. It seems to come over the wrong way with some folks.

anticitizenzero
08-16-06, 12:30 PM
possibly the the worst threat ever.

ATOJAR
08-16-06, 02:01 PM
ATOJAR you will do fine with SLI. You don't need to be a computer geek to use it or set it up. You do need the cards to be the same clock speeds. We have a mixed vendor review and a evaluation of SLI rigs against Crossfire. :)

http://www.nvnews.net/reviews/geforce_7900_gtx/index.shtml

http://www.nvnews.net/articles/gpu_world_tour_2006/index.shtml

Hay thanks dude, look pertty helpfull ill give that a read.

and Xion X2 apology accepted, i understand SLi can be a headache to optimize, ive heard that quite alot..... thanks for the advice, and sorry for calling you a a***hole. :) ........ glad we could sort this out, i was just getting to like these forums as well.

Redeemed
08-16-06, 06:41 PM
Hay thanks dude, look pertty helpfull ill give that a read.

and Xion X2 apology accepted, i understand SLi can be a headache to optimize, ive heard that quite alot..... thanks for the advice, and sorry for calling you a a***hole. :) ........ glad we could sort this out, i was just getting to like these forums as well.

I've registered at many forums, and by far this one is my favorite. The community here is overall very accepting and forgiving, as well as informative. On top of that, most people here seem to share my sense of humor. Not bad. ;)

Hope you stick around a while and become a regular contributor. Look forward to discussing future topics with ya', noob. ;) (j/k) :D

ATOJAR
08-16-06, 08:14 PM
noob. ;) (j/k) :D

Got that right lol.