PDA

View Full Version : Im somewhat confused...

sirplayalot
08-15-06, 08:12 PM
About this motherboard...how does it do 5.1 surround sound? Wouldnt only one of those be audio and the other MIC and i dunno what the other does..

http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/productimage/13-121-035-07.JPG

My speakers have the 3 plugs...black, green and orange...

Wouldnt I need a motherboard like this? (look at the onboard audio)

http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/productimage/13-131-517-01.JPG

Zelda_fan
08-15-06, 08:14 PM
The first mobo does not have 5.1 (unless there is a dongle attached to it with the extra ports).

The second mobo does indeed have 5.1 surround.

sirplayalot
08-15-06, 08:19 PM
The first mobo does not have 5.1 (unless there is a dongle attached to it with the extra ports).

The second mobo does indeed have 5.1 surround.

Then why does Intel say it does??

http://www.intel.com/products/motherboard/dp965lt/index.htm

Audio 6-channel (5.1) audio subsystem using the SigmaTel STAC9227* audio codec

I'm still confused... :(

Subtestube
08-15-06, 08:25 PM
Have a look at the Tech spec - supposedly those three rear plugs are 'retasking jacks', which I think means you could either use them as Line In, Line Out and Mic, or as Front L/R, Rear L/R, Center/Subwoofer.

sirplayalot
08-15-06, 08:33 PM
Have a look at the Tech spec - supposedly those three rear plugs are 'retasking jacks', which I think means you could either use them as Line In, Line Out and Mic, or as Front L/R, Rear L/R, Center/Subwoofer.

I see...argg..this means I'll have to keep going to the back of my PC and unplug this stuff to plug in my headset when I wanna use it...

Zelda_fan
08-15-06, 08:41 PM
I see...argg..this means I'll have to keep going to the back of my PC and unplug this stuff to plug in my headset when I wanna use it...

In all honesty, if you are spending the money to get a decent 5.1 PC speaker set, then you really ought to invest $80 or so to get a decent soundcard.

sirplayalot
08-15-06, 08:46 PM
In all honesty, if you are spending the money to get a decent 5.1 PC speaker set, then you really ought to invest $80 or so to get a decent soundcard.

Meh, I am honestly one of those people who cant tell the difference between sound cards. I used an Extigy for a while and switched back to onboard and couldnt tell the difference! I got the Logitech 5.1's for free anyway so thats really why I have em, otherwise I would have gone with the Logitech Z4 speakers.

Zelda_fan
08-15-06, 09:04 PM
Meh, I am honestly one of those people who cant tell the difference between sound cards. I used an Extigy for a while and switched back to onboard and couldnt tell the difference! I got the Logitech 5.1's for free anyway so thats really why I have em, otherwise I would have gone with the Logitech Z4 speakers.

IMHO there is a large difference. Onboard always sounded crakely and distorted to me. Now there is no need to buy an X-FI or anything like that, but you can probably get an Audigy for pretty cheap these days.

Mr_LoL
08-15-06, 09:16 PM
Yep you can get an audigy 4 which is what I have for relatively cheap. i paid 30 for mine. I am sure you can find one cheap wherever you live.

Xion X2
08-16-06, 08:29 AM
That first board could still have surround, I think. Does it have a Creative soundchip onboard? Creative's surround speakers can run through a single miniplug connection usually labeled "digital out". They're the only way to get surround through a single plug unless you have an optical out like I have on my card.

If you want a really good surround-capable card and don't want to go with Creative speakers or their crappy "digital out" that runs through a miniplug, I'd recommend the Auzentech I just bought. It has close to the same overall sound quality as the Audigy 4 that I just took out and has an optical out on the back that allows you to hook up a fiber-optic cable directly to your receiver.

You just can't beat true 5.1 surround. It's awesome. :D

CaptNKILL
08-16-06, 08:34 AM
Yeah, pretty much any decent (read: not high end but still worthy of 5.1 surround) board from the past 5 years has had a setup like this if there wasnt room for 6 ports on the back panel.

Theres a good chance that there are headers on the board for connecting more audio ports. And most cases have some on the front (though they usually sound like crap). You should be able to figure something out with the headphone situation.

ViN86
08-16-06, 09:43 AM
exactly :thumbsup:

thats how they pull it off. the plugs can function in different ways, and when 5.1 is enabled, they become Front L/R, Rear L/R, Center/Sub

Bearclaw
08-16-06, 02:43 PM
About this motherboard...how does it do 5.1 surround sound? Wouldnt only one of those be audio and the other MIC and i dunno what the other does..

http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/productimage/13-121-035-07.JPG

My speakers have the 3 plugs...black, green and orange...

Wouldnt I need a motherboard like this? (look at the onboard audio)

http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/productimage/13-131-517-01.JPG
Ya, the firts one dosn't. I have that second board and it rocks..not to mention 5.1 surround sound. :D