PDA

View Full Version : BFG 7900 gtx oc Hardlock Issues

Dillariam
08-16-06, 01:07 AM
I recently bought parts for a new pc, and put it together. Everything went well until I started playing BF2 or CS:Source. My computer would hardlock and I would have to restart. I contacted BFG and they told me to RMA it. So I did and I just got back a new card. They said they replaced it, but I am still getting the same problems with this card. I updated all drivers and nothing has worked. Do you guys think it is just another bad card or could it be something I haven't thought of. I really don't want to be with out my PC for another week since classes start the 16th. Also I thought it was crappy that you have to spend the money to Rma the broken card back to BFG. If I would have known I would be having this much trouble with this card I would have just went ahead and spent 200 more dollars for the 7950 gx2. Here are my pc specs if anyone has an idea pls post.

MB DFI LP[UT]nF4 SLI-DR Exp NF4 939
CPU Opteron 170
MEM 1Gx2|CORSAIR Twinx2048-3200c2pt
PSU OCZ|OCZ600GXSSLI 600W
VGA BFG 7900GTX BFGR79512GTXOCSINE

crainger
08-16-06, 01:51 AM
Which parts are new?? Just the Vid card?

Dillariam
08-16-06, 05:43 AM
Everything is new. Just got the system like 2 weeks ago, but this is my second card to have since I had to rma the first one for the same issue.

crainger
08-16-06, 05:59 AM
Everything is new. Just got the system like 2 weeks ago, but this is my second card to have since I had to rma the first one for the same issue.

Are you sure it was the vid card in the first place?

Xion X2
08-16-06, 07:19 AM
Are you sure it was the vid card in the first place?

Well, that's what the guy's asking.

Have you changed your memory timings in your bios? Overclocked your CPU at all? This can cause games to crash or "hardlock," as you say, if you have too much of an overclock going.

Only other thing I know to tell you to check is your PSU. I'm guessing it's a dual-rail one since it's 600W, and those ain't that great with AMD systems. Some guys never have problems, but some do. If you can, check the specs on it for us. We need to know the amp ratings on the 12v rail(s).

K007
08-16-06, 07:52 AM
Dam Xion...thats one big ass sig :P

crainger
08-16-06, 08:10 AM
Dam Xion...thats one big ass sig :P

LOL I know... I think it's actually forum policy somewhere to keep sigs down to a sensible size. Not sure though.

Dillariam are you using onboard sound? Or an Audigy card? I had a lot of hard locks with my Audigy, replacing the motherboard fixed it.

Also is it just games? Direct X games?? Does it lock with a squealing noise? Sound stutters?

Could also try running just one stick of RAM at a time and see if that helps.

Xion X2
08-16-06, 09:43 AM
You know rebels like me--always gotta test the waters.. (pirate)

Better?

crainger
08-16-06, 06:32 PM
You know rebels like me--always gotta test the waters.. (pirate)

Better?

Needs more Feng Shui

Dillariam
08-16-06, 10:59 PM
I am using onboard sound, the power supply is fine talked to bfg people about it already, ran memtest86 for about 7 hours and no errors, sooooo yea i'm goin to say graphics card since I have seen numerous posts about the same problem with the 7900 series.

jAkUp
08-17-06, 01:33 AM
Try backing your 7900GTX to reference clocks and see if the freezing goes away, actually, just try backing the memory clocks.

Dillariam
08-17-06, 01:50 PM
Can't that would void the warranty on the card.:thumbdwn:

$kyh@wk
08-17-06, 03:49 PM
Can't that would void the warranty on the card.:thumbdwn:

Yes it will.. read my thread I just started yesterday.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75197