PDA

View Full Version : Oblivion 7950GX2 performance

Shocky
08-16-06, 05:57 AM
Trying to get this to run at a decent framerate on with 7950GX2 and its just not happening... I'm using the beta patch and changing the settings seem to make no difference to performance.. I've tryed with HDR and Bloom.. both pretty unplayable...

This actually ran better on my old X1900XTX then my 7950GX2 and that was with HDR+AA. :(

Why does this run so crappy on nvidia cards ???

System.. As you can see im not cpu limited.. Annoying as everything else shows huge improvements over my X1900XTX and this runs like crap...

Forceware 91.33
E6600@3.4
7950GX2@600/800
2GB DDR2@472 4.4.4.15
X-Fi Music

glObalist
08-16-06, 07:29 AM
Haven't people forgotten about this oblivious crap of a game engine already?

nekrosoft13
08-16-06, 07:35 AM
i forgot about the game 10 hours after starting playing, thats about time i finished the main quest. 7 hours was traveling/oblivion,fighting psycho crabs. 2.5 hours actual combat. 30 minutes story. pathetic game

but when it comes eye candy, it still has something

Bearclaw
08-16-06, 07:37 AM
I get constant freezing/re-booting problems when I play. Could this be a video card problem or CPU bound or what?

|MaguS|
08-16-06, 07:51 AM
I get constant freezing/re-booting problems when I play. Could this be a video card problem or CPU bound or what?

Sounds like a powersupply issue.

Shocky, Make sure you have the SLi profile properly set and your game settings/tweaks are correct aswell.

nekrosoft13
08-16-06, 07:55 AM
Could be allot things, I have the same problem

Heat, bad drivers (video, sound), memory timings, power.

There is more people complaining about problems, then enjoying the game.

In my opinion is badly coded, reason for that hypothesis its simple, it’s the only damn game I have with these that problem

Bearclaw
08-16-06, 07:55 AM

Shocky, Make sure you have the SLi profile properly set and your game settings/tweaks are correct aswell.
Interesting. I have heard there have been problems with my PSU. I have the Ultra X2. Although, the game in general sometimes runs slow. I don't have a fast processor or the fastest video card so I can understand that it won't always run decent. If the PSU is the reason, I don't know. It works fine everywhere else. It's only the game....odd.

Bearclaw
08-16-06, 07:56 AM
Could be allot things, I have the same problem

Heat, bad drivers (video, sound), memory timings, power.

There is more people complaining about problems, then enjoying the game.

In my opinion is badly coded, reason for that hypothesis its simple, itís the only damn game I have with these that problem
Ya, my PC can run any other game fine. I don't think it's a PSU problem like magus suggested but you never know. :(

|MaguS|
08-16-06, 07:58 AM
Interesting. I have heard there have been problems with my PSU. I have the Ultra X2. Although, the game in general sometimes runs slow. I don't have a fast processor or the fastest video card so I can understand that it won't always run decent. If the PSU is the reason, I don't know. It works fine everywhere else. It's only the game....odd.

It's also one of the most demanding games on the market so it will push your hardware further then most other software.

As for the gaming being poorly coded, I don't think its horribly coded... not the best but far from the worse considering the graphics it generates for the landscape.

nekrosoft13
08-16-06, 07:58 AM
ultras are horrible PSU, but I have a seasonic, and experience the same problem.

and like i said, its the only game that does this. not a single other game has a problem

super PI stable, memtest for hours all fine, 3kmark06 over night all fine. rendering HD video clips fine. etc.....

Shocky
08-16-06, 08:01 AM

Well im using the driver mentioned above which has a sli profile so I shouldnt need to configure anything... Its weird.. its around 30-40fps walking around outside but feels really jerky.. and as soon as I find an enemy its down into the 20's.. :(

I tried dropping resolution to 1280*1024 and its exactly the same... was running 1920*1200. Its almost as bad as tomb raider legends... again that ran better on my X1900XTX too.. :thumbdwn:

The game also defaults to ultra low settings for some reason, actually runs ok like that but looks like ass.. No idea what the correct defaults for this card should be..

|MaguS|
08-16-06, 08:03 AM
Well im using the driver mentioned above which has a sli profile so I shouldnt need to configure anything... Its weird.. its around 30-40fps walking around outside but feels really jerky.. and as soon as I find an enemy its down into the 20's.. :(

I tried dropping resolution to 1280*1024 and its exactly the same... was running 1920*1200. Its almost as bad tomb raider legends... again that ran better on my X1900XTX too.. :thumbdwn:

Well go back to your 1900XTX, I play Oblivion perfectly on my rig at 1920x1080 resolution (use to play at 1920x1200 but prefer the wider view the 16:9 res gives me).

nekrosoft13
08-16-06, 08:03 AM
It's also one of the most demanding games on the market so it will push your hardware further then most other software.

As for the gaming being poorly coded, I don't think its horribly coded... not the best but far from the worse considering the graphics it generates for the landscape.

i still think is badly coded, and when it comes to landscapes, they didn't code that, it supertree technology from another company

Shocky
08-16-06, 08:07 AM
Well go back to your 1900XTX, I play Oblivion perfectly on my rig at 1920x1080 resolution (use to play at 1920x1200 but prefer the wider view the 16:9 res gives me).

You seriously suggesting I install an older card just for one game ? :(

|MaguS|
08-16-06, 08:13 AM
If thats the game you enjoy playing then I would... then again I was about to build an old rig to play games on windows 98 that nolonger run on new setups.

Shocky
08-16-06, 08:28 AM
There also appear to be some bugs with raindrops on water.... I don't really see whats so demanding about the gfx, the landscape isnt that good, its basically just trees, grass and water and neither themselfs are really impressive.

The framerate in caves and also towns is actually ok but I'll probably just uninstall it... Don't think i'm gonna get this playable without making it look like crap.

nekrosoft13
08-16-06, 08:31 AM
why not just get virtual pc?

or play dos games in dos emulator

Shocky
08-16-06, 08:36 AM

What ?

|MaguS|
08-16-06, 08:42 AM

There are old windows games that wont work anylonger... either due to new videocard or dualcore... or just windows XP.

K007
08-16-06, 08:50 AM
Golden Axe...aa yes..i remember spending hours and hours running this game over and over..man i spend alot of times replaying those games back then..these days..finish once..never touch again ><

anticitizenzero
08-16-06, 09:49 AM
I was never able to get really decent oblivion performance, the best thing I did was turn off the grass outside which helped alot.

nV`andrew
08-16-06, 11:42 AM
tihs game ran compeltely fine and dandy on my 7800GT. maybe the 7900 series runs like **** on it? i got rid of my cpu oc and lowered my clocks on the gpu, and it helps immensley. im going to be upgrading the vga and cpu cooler, so maybe this will fix the problems.

BioHazZarD
08-16-06, 01:04 PM
I had to turn down too mane effects to even get decent fps in fights etc.. and that is not why i have an x1900 to turn down most effects and still get crap fps..