PDA

View Full Version : SATA: to fragile? And other follies of the last 24 hours.

Lazaredz
08-16-06, 02:38 PM
Okay, I must be doing something wrong. I just about hosed my system today about 3 times.

The first was of my own doing. I tried some new cooling and THOUGHT (first mistake) I had it all good. Went to go play some FEAR and after about 30 minutes noticed some chugging. Wasn't bad so I just ignored it for the moment (second mistake). It gets worse and the sound stars chugging too, so I dump out and find that speedfan is reading my GPU at like -53C so the fan is at 5%. I dump out ASAP and hit the fans full blast. Give it a few minutes and reboot. Same problem. This is about the time when I crap my pants.

Figuring I need to take a close look at everything AND give it all time to cool (please don't be dead). I decided 0100 is a GREAT time to tear it all apart and while I'm at it do some cutting and modding I had been thinking about.

This would be the time to mention that I have allready packed and SHOULD be ready to move at the drop of a hat (change of jobs/locations). But me in my INFINATE wisdom just plunges right into it. I go ALL the way down to taking the board out and finishing my cuts/molding on the PSU and intake fan. Around 0400 I put the system MOSTLY back together and find that things SEEM to be better. I then decide now would be a GREAT time to try a new OC figuring the mental message I left for myself a year ago of "Don't take this thing apart EVER and don't try to OC it anymore, its not gonna work and you almost fried it last time" Pfffffffft!!! What the hell does that jack-ass know????

/sigh

So yeah I basicly try for 3.2 after moving my memmory around and what do you know, big ol lock of death. Not only that, but it doesn't want to post again afterwards ..... not even after reseting the CMOS by taking the battery out (Crap the pants #2). I walk away for a bit ...... pray .... and come back to try again. It works, but do I go back to my safe 2.8???? No!!! Like a TOTAL idiot I try for 3.0 .... which works for a bit .... and then freezes the system and doesn't want to reboot .... or POST. ......... More prayer to follow.

So I finally pull my head out of my ASS and set EVERYTHING to default. Flash the BFG BIOS back to normal and the 2.4 to 2.4. Reboot and get some HD issues (probably all the F-ing up I did). Anywho, it all comes back online and I count my blessings. But OH, do I have to still PAY for my poor choices this evening.

So as I'm putting back the HD cage (after trying some new wiring) I hear a snap and lift it back up to discover that the SATA power connection on my RAPTOR has broke. Now granted, it was only the bracket but I was NOT thrilled (Never though I would get to the actual TOPIC did you???) So I start to pull the cage back out and get caught on something else and SNAP!

I am now looking at the BARE WIRES that encompass the ACTUAL SATA conection on said Raptor ..... there they are ...... just floating out from the drive ..... the REST of the connector is in the SATA cable. It SEEMS to be intact so I VERY carefully attempt to put it back together. I THINK I have it on allright and then procede to electrical tape the CRAP out of the thing to keep it in place (if anyone knows of a better way to keep this thing alive PLEASE PM me!!).

So there it all is. Ducked more bullets than I deserved and got winged (kind of like my own little Neo on the rooftop). But WAIT ... THERE IS MORE!!!

I having all sorts of issue with redoing the wiring and getting everything back to where it is supposed to be. There isn't alot of space in the ARIA and I have used just about ALL of it. So between trying and trying again to get everything connected, the machine put back together AND keep the wires out of my fans I break:

The SATA power port on my new WD 250MB drive. Wasn't a complete break, but again, a little pressure the wrong way and SNAP!!! (Example #2 re: the topic listed) Well this one doesn't need any tape at this point but my confidence in the SATA PHYISICAL aspect is not very high. I also manage to break a top and bottom brace on the left panel of the ARIA while trying to get it back in place (the 120mm fan mod makes it a little tight ..... or apparently TOO tight). Not a big deal but the small things are adding up.

During all this I also manage to burn my fingers twice on hot metal from cutting with the dremmel AND ......

SLICE ABOUT 1/2 OF THE TIP OF MY LEFT MIDDLE FINGER OFF WITH A RAZOR BLADE (Was trying to splay open some tubing I was using as molding for said 120mm fan mod). Yeah ... that hurt ... and bleed.

Interesting side note: H2O2 and blood are an EXOTHERMIC reaction.

I had poored about 1 cup of peroxide into a tea cup to soak my finger well (PLEASE HEAL PLEASE HEAL PLEASE HEAL) Now I knew it would get foamy but the cup runnith over ... litterally. Then I notice the cup is getting rather warm. So I pull my finger out and poor out the foam and notice, that is all that is left ... foam. The entire amount of H2O2 I put in there had reacted with the blood coming from my finger ...... so I figure its pretty clean at this point.

Interesting side note #2: It actually doens't hurt and I'm typing MUCH better than I expected.

So FIANLLY I get everything back together and it looks like I didn't do any PERMINANT damage ... but I am NEVER opening this box again!!! (Until I canabilize some of it for a Conroe system later this year)

So, in conclusion:

A) Listen to that voice from the past that says "No!"

B) Listen to that voice from inside that says "Maybe you shouldn't have your finger there."

C) Don't try to do this kind of stuff when you are supposed to be moving and will need said computer to get direcetions, email confirmations, and such.

D) SATA connections (power included) are CRAP! WAY to fragile for such and expensive item. They need to reinforce these things (Never thought I would get to a conclusion did you?)

Well, thanks for listening ... I feel a LITTLE better now that my system SEEMS to be working (keeps fingers on RIGHT hand crossed)

Oh, and I'm starting to think I may have gotten a little metal in my eye doing this cutting at 0330 this AM.

:o

LycosV
08-16-06, 03:14 PM
I've read multiple stories involving breaking the SATA connectors on drives and I have to honestly say it's something that I never thought about before. It makes sense when you think about it, PATA has all of the pins to hold them in place but SATA just has some thin plastic. They ought to put a metal box around the whole connecter for grounding and strength ala USB.

CaptNKILL
08-16-06, 04:31 PM
I've read multiple stories involving breaking the SATA connectors on drives and I have to honestly say it's something that I never thought about before. It makes sense when you think about it, PATA has all of the pins to hold them in place but SATA just has some thin plastic. They ought to put a metal box around the whole connecter for grounding and strength ala USB.
I agree. The connector deffinitely needs reworked.

But look at IDE. They have "fixed" that thing many times. Remember the old boards that didnt even have a "casing" around the pins on the motherboard? It was just a bunch of pins sticking out of the board and it was really really easy to either bend them all in half or put your cable on the wrong ones.

I've seen some nice SATA cables recently though. Some that do have metal clips on them. The majority still seem to be the standard wobbly mess though.

I'm surprised at how many bad SATA cables I've come across since their release as well. There isnt much in them (2 or 3 wires and some insulation), so I dont know how they get damaged so easily... but lots of SATA problems can be fixed by swapping cables.

I'm sure they will figure it all out relatively soon though. It seems to be catching on pretty quickly compared to other technologies.

Lazaredz
08-16-06, 04:55 PM
They ought to put a metal box around the whole connecter for grounding and strength ala USB.

You sir, should be a sage!

I have NO IDEA why they wouldn't ... or worse why they thought this little plastic crap would wear well. How do people use SATA external/portable drives????

LycosV
08-17-06, 02:56 PM
But look at IDE. They have "fixed" that thing many times. Remember the old boards that didnt even have a "casing" around the pins on the motherboard? It was just a bunch of pins sticking out of the board and it was really really easy to either bend them all in half or put your cable on the wrong ones.

I remember that; bending half the pins then trying to bend them back without breaking them... Good times.

Demon_82
08-18-06, 10:41 AM
Yeah, this SATA connections get to put anyone nervous... I worked making/testing computers and every week we had some SATA HDD with a broken connector... altough we usually managed to made them work and send them to the final users with some glue XD

Lazaredz
08-19-06, 01:31 PM
Yeah, this SATA connections get to put anyone nervous... I worked making/testing computers and every week we had some SATA HDD with a broken connector... altough we usually managed to made them work and send them to the final users with some glue XD

So its not just me then? WHEW!!

Anywho, the computer (and most of my fingertip) seem to have made it through this with lessons learned and no perminant damge.

Capt. Picard
08-19-06, 01:42 PM
Lazaredz, that was a great read. Thanks.

That inner voice ... We all should listen to it. I have screwed up many a situation by ignoring it.

Roadhog
08-19-06, 10:14 PM
speaking of which... I just broke the sata data connector off my hd about 20 mins ago... I had to superglue it back on. :(