PDA

View Full Version : Thinking ahead for new Conroe setup (October-ish). SFF to Tower.

Lazaredz
08-16-06, 05:10 PM
Okay, so my entire episode last night has pretty much cemented me ending my relationship with SFF (for gaming rigs at least). It is time to move on ....

To a water-cooled tower I think.

While my top priority will be gaming power and some show, QUIET and multifunctional will still be needed. I still need it to be FAIRLY portable as I am moving about every 12 weeks and everything I own has to fit into the car.

I'm looking at a Conroe E6600 with 2GB DDR2 800. Probably a 590 board (depends on how they turn out) and a good chance of some sort of SLI. I'll be picking up a new Raptor and probably a new storage drive (in the 250-350GB range). Keeping the TV card and X-Fi. Need a new DVD R though (suggestions?) All the externals will be staying the same. IF G80 is out, I'll pick one up, if not then a 7900GT 512MB EVGA and step-up later.

I'll probably pick up a Seasonic PSU (Quiet and Solid) but I'm not to sure of the case. I'm looking at the P-180, but it seems WAY big. I like the ideas in it, but the damn SIZE of the thing. Any other case suggestions? Again, QUIET is important and I don't need the thing to weight more than I do. I've also learned the value in 120mm fans, so going with those for case/PSU cooling is a desire also.

Water cooling ...... no idea. I hear danger den is good. I would LIKE it to all fit inside the case and be fairly easy to maintain. Again, QUIET .... and idiot proof as I have had a case of the DUHs! lately. I figure on doing the whole bit, CPU, GPU(s), Northbridge, Southbridge???, do they make HD or RAM watercoolers?? So, those who know, suggest some block, pumps and a setup. Do I need 2 radiators/pumps or will 1 system cover it all?

Thx in advance for any and all assistance.

Oh, and the old system is going to the GF (as long as I don't kill it in the meantime)

EDIT

Actually, after a quick look at SPCR, I'm thinking the P-160 might be a good choice. Little bit of style & bling without look to over the top nor just classic black. Allready has a window and some lights. 120mm fans in front and back, lots of room for expansion and watercooling.

Anyone suggest anything simmular?

Lazaredz
08-17-06, 10:42 AM
No advise from people that allready have water setups?

Toss3
08-17-06, 04:59 PM
I have a p160 that's water cooled and I really like the case; it has got plenty of room to spare. And yes they make blocks for ram and hds but I think that would be quite unneccesary since heatspreaders already do a good job. I have an Asetek Waterchill setup, and my CPU load temp is below 30c and my GPU(6800gt) was around 40c. It was easy to set up and works perfectly. The only problem I've run into was a pump that broke, but I just replaced it with a better one and now it works like a charm(I guess I could have sent it back, but I figured I'd be better off with a better pump). You have to remember that the pump vibrates and that it makes an awful sound if it's too close to the metall sides of the case.

And here's a pic of a watercooled p160(not mine):http://www.photojunkyard.com/is.php?i=10832&img=P1010173.JPG

And of a ram waterblock: http://www.ocmodshop.com/images/reviews/watercooling/akwaflow_ram_cooler/ARC18.jpg

Don't hesitate to send me PM's if you have any questions. :)

And about the DVD-r, I guess you could buy one of those new samsung drives that are said to be the fastest in the world right now. They cost around 30€ here, so you'll probably find it for less. Damsung SH-S182D/RSMN Super-WriteMaster™ 18x DVD+/-RW, is the complete name of the model I think. :)

XServer
08-18-06, 12:55 PM
I have a p160 that's water cooled and I really like the case; it has got plenty of room to spare. And yes they make blocks for ram and hds but I think that would be quite unneccesary since heatspreaders already do a good job. I have an Asetek Waterchill setup, and my CPU load temp is below 30c and my GPU(6800gt) was around 40c. It was easy to set up and works perfectly. The only problem I've run into was a pump that broke, but I just replaced it with a better one and now it works like a charm(I guess I could have sent it back, but I figured I'd be better off with a better pump). You have to remember that the pump vibrates and that it makes an awful sound if it's too close to the metall sides of the case.

And here's a pic of a watercooled p160(not mine):http://www.photojunkyard.com/is.php?i=10832&img=P1010173.JPG

And of a ram waterblock: http://www.ocmodshop.com/images/reviews/watercooling/akwaflow_ram_cooler/ARC18.jpg

Don't hesitate to send me PM's if you have any questions. :)

And about the DVD-r, I guess you could buy one of those new samsung drives that are said to be the fastest in the world right now. They cost around 30€ here, so you'll probably find it for less. Damsung SH-S182D/RSMN Super-WriteMaster™ 18x DVD+/-RW, is the complete name of the model I think. :)Watercooling your ram is a waste of money, even if you plan on overclocking, ram don't get that hot to watercool it. A good heatsink would be a better ideal,and I watercooler harddrives cpu videocards but not ram.

Toss3
08-18-06, 04:58 PM
Watercooling your ram is a waste of money, even if you plan on overclocking, ram don't get that hot to watercool it. A good heatsink would be a better ideal,and I watercooler harddrives cpu videocards but not ram.

"And yes they make blocks for ram and hds but I think that would be quite unneccesary since heatspreaders already do a good job."

:rolleyes:

Lazaredz
08-19-06, 01:33 PM
Toss3,

What kind of a setup do you have? Use ST or DD?

And yeah, I was just kiding about the RAM .... and the HD ..... mostly. ;)