PDA

View Full Version : 7900GT Lock up issues

$kyh@wk
08-17-06, 12:58 AM
I bit the bullet and crossed over to Nvidia from ATI and wish I did not at this point.

A week ago I got myself a new BFG 7900GTOC 256mg - My system , MSI Nvidia chipset , 3 gigs of kingston, Audigy SC and AMD 64 3200.

My problem - I cant play BF2 for more then minutes with out having it lock up. My system stutters, speakers sound going crazy having to reset my computer. I was using the new drivers from the website. I then installed the drivers from the CD allowing me to play for more then 30 mins so it did improve. Everything is New on my system. I have read this a lot as it seems that Nvidia is unstable on BF2 ONLY. I did all of the tests for my memory and everything else. I have two computers allowing me to switch my Ram and CPU and Sound card and it runs fine on my other computer. I took my mother board back got it exchanged narrowing it down the video card.

I have tried no sound card, one stick of ram.. different banks, everything.. it all comes back to the video card.

What do I do? Im not going to send the card back BFG to get a new one only to have it replaced with the same problems as I have read on this site.. Help would be great if anyone has figured it out. Please and thank you. Keep in mind NOTHING is Overclock anywhere. EVERYTHING is at system default settings.

I see the light.................ATI

Skyhawk

jAkUp
08-17-06, 02:29 AM
Try backing the clocks back to 7900GT reference and see if the stuttering going away...

$kyh@wk
08-17-06, 02:56 AM
Try backing the clocks back to 7900GT reference and see if the stuttering going away...

I just got off the phone with BFG and the answers I got from them is that all the 7900 series XFX, PNY BFG etc etc.. are all having problems with the cards architecture. Nvidia is aware of the problem so bascially we are screwed until they come out with a fix. They also said that the 7800's have no reported problems. I am hoping I can return my 7900 and get a 7800.

They also said if I tamper with the clocks it voids my warrenty - They have a way of checking to see if you did, even if its not true - I dont know that for sure so I would rather not.

$kyh@wk

cRankLin
08-17-06, 11:48 AM
I have the exact same graphics card. the difference is I don't play bf2, i play counter-strike Condition Zero and that freezes but my half-life 2 or cs:s don't freeze. I'd rather play cs:cz but i get the same thing as you with looping sounds etc, do you know if they said how long a wait it will be?

ATOJAR
08-17-06, 11:59 AM
Nvidia is unstable on BF2 ONLY.

That seem weird.... as you start bf2 you will see the nvidia the way its ment to be played logo on the bf2 loading screen... this means it will run better on a nvidia card!

Ive had no problems with my 7800GTX!

Ive heard that alot of 7900's are supposed to have issues and alot have bad ram, not sure if thats true.

$kyh@wk
08-17-06, 04:45 PM
I have the exact same graphics card. the difference is I don't play bf2, i play counter-strike Condition Zero and that freezes but my half-life 2 or cs:s don't freeze. I'd rather play cs:cz but i get the same thing as you with looping sounds etc, do you know if they said how long a wait it will be?

That seem weird.... as you start bf2 you will see the nvidia the way its ment to be played logo on the bf2 loading screen... this means it will run better on a nvidia card!

Ive had no problems with my 7800GTX!

Ive heard that alot of 7900's are supposed to have issues and alot have bad ram, not sure if thats true.

No they did not say other then Nvidia is aware of the problem. I returned my 7900GTOC. I tried 5 different huge computer suppliers and they dont carry PCIE 7800's? do they even make them? Anyhow, i am going to Tiger Direct tonight to buy a PNY 6800GS 256mg, I have read great reviews with that card. I thought about getting a 7950 but why bother when Directx 10 cards are not far away. At least the 6800GS can get me by until then.

The guy who I spoke to on the phone from BFG reviews this site. At first when I was talking about my issues he was reserverd telling me what really was the problem. Once he realized I had some knowledge of what I was talking about he came out and said " yes we know the 7900 series are having problems. Including PNY, BFG, XFX, EVGA also stating it is the architecture that is causing the problems. If you can, return the card.

Anyone can call them up to comfirm my information. Mean time. This not good for someone who was a die hard fan of ATI - desides to move to Nvidia and this has to happen. Now I am worried about there other cards.

Galvin
08-17-06, 05:26 PM
I have the newer EVGA 7900GT OC that they came out with to fix the problems with the card in the first place.

I have an FX62 system. Today I boot up like normal, then I tried to launch mozilla thunderbird shortly after the desktop came up. The whole system frozed. No bsod, no beeping sounds. The screen was frozen mouse didn't work, keyboard. Had to hit reset.

My only guess its the videocard or some software still has issues with dualcore cpus. I can run world of warcraft all day long with no issues, and never had any 3D issues.

using 91.33 drivers

Maverickman
08-18-06, 09:43 PM
Despite what you've heard, I really don't think the problem is the architecture of the 7900s. The GeForce 7900 basically has the SAME architecture as the earlier 7800 series it replaced. They're both 7-series products. However, the 7300s, 7600s and 7900s are manufactured using the new 90nm producttechnology versus the older 110nm used in the 7800 series. This allows the 7900s to run cooler and enables higher clock speeds. Unfortunately many manufacturers got way too agressive with their overclocks resulting in a LOT of problems for both the 7900 GTs and 7900GTXs. Lockups and artifacts became all too common, so many assumed it was either some problem with the architecture of the 7900s or too much overclocking. The latter is really more true. Nvidia has since tried to reign in its partners with their overclocks. Unfortunately again, there are still those who prefer to blame the architecture of the cards. My 7900GT has been running great out of the box and has had ZERO problems. With any new card there are going to be defects, but that does not presume that there are inherent defects with all the cards.

john19055
08-18-06, 10:14 PM
I agree ,I don't think there is nothing wrong with the chip it self,it just the companies overclock them too much ,like the memory for one ,it has 1.4ns memory which is just rated at 714mhz (1428) and they overvolt the memory to begain with with 2volts and they run the 1.4ns memory as high as 800(1600) which is out of spec,My two 7900 GT signature Series will mess up on some games but I can down clock the memory to 750mhz (1500) and it will work fine and on some game it will run fine all the way up to 1800. ,so IMO it is not nvidia fault ,it is the companies that run them out of spec and don't make sure that they will run ever game at that clock ,and some are just bad

Arrowhead
08-19-06, 01:47 AM
I've been running my BFG 7900GT flawlessly for about 3 weeks.

what color is your card? I got one with a blue pcb which is supposed to be a newer revision.

AdmiralHalsey..
08-19-06, 04:17 AM
I had the same problems. I had MASSIVE overclocks. They don't check anything, don't worry. RMA,RMA,RMA. Your card is broken. Deal, and get it replaced. remember, an overclock should not just kill a card, its a flaw, no ones perfect, even nvidia, but they're still responsible. Please don't let them scare you into keeping a bunk card. Read my sig. I'm living proof of they're lies. I just wiped off the volt mods and shipped it back, no questions even asked. Design flaws aren't our fault, this is a WELL KNOWN AND DOCUMENTED FLAW with the 7900 series, don't take BFG's ****. Get yourself what you paid for man. I will probobly never get an nvidia card again because of this. And when you get a new card, I SUGGEST you overclock it to see if it breaks. My BFG RMA[my current card] works fine with heavy overclocks. proof of shoddy quality control at whatever level the QC takes place, which is NVIDIA if I'm not mistaken. You'll get it straight. RMA...