PDA

View Full Version : GeForce AGP vs PCI-e mobo

darkbluesky
08-17-06, 05:01 AM
Hello,

I'm not sure if this post should be here or in another forum. Please excuse if it shouldn't and please, mod's, move it.

I was thinking on change my old and loved MSI 5900XT AGP ViVo, with a new nvidia. As I wanted to do a major upgrade late 2007, I had thought about change only the graphic card, and so try keeping my rig until then. I was pretty convinced of this until I have read several topics in these forums...:) Now I am bit lost.

My current rig, is a P4 3.6 GHz Prescott (not OC'ed), 1 Gb Corsair RAM (I don't recall which model now, but I chosed one that could OC well, in its day...), MB Asus P5P800 AGP8x. At beginning I was thinking in a cheaper nvidia upgrade, i.e. 7600GS AGP, (about 120euros), then considering the anticipated 7600GT AGP (about 200 euros), and now beginning to look at 7800GS AGP or even better (?)...:rolleyes:, and wondering if the money / performance with my current rig would compensate.

Then, the last option arises: change MB for a PCI-e one. But I don't know if I could keep my Corsair DDR, and my CPU (LGA775) in the new mobos and if it will be worth the money, thinking on the major upgrade later '07

As you can see, at the begining I was thinking in stay in the middle to cheap side, but I don't want to buy something that will stay for less than a year (time to the major upgrade), or to spend in a 200 euros card, when I could go for PCI-e and take advantage of some PCI-e cheaper prices, for a bit more.

At this point I have decided to ask here what you would do, maybe you keep a cooler mind, because the mine is pretty hot, now. :o

Thank you in advance.

Lazaredz
08-17-06, 09:48 AM
Anandtech has an article here (http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2810) that reviews a motherboard that might fit your needs. The link is to part one, be sure to read parts 2 and 3.

Anywho, might me a good idea if you HAVE to upgrade now as you can still use your processor and memory.

darkbluesky
08-17-06, 10:47 AM
Anandtech has an article here (http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2810) that reviews a motherboard that might fit your needs. The link is to part one, be sure to read parts 2 and 3.

Anywho, might me a good idea if you HAVE to upgrade now as you can still use your processor and memory.

Well, it is not a must, but regardless of the upgrade solution chosen, I don't want to change CPU. And I would like to keep too, the RAM DDR if possible.

Summarizing, the bottleneck of my system (still considering the CPU is a bit old) is the video card IMO. So I wanted to upgrade it, but two options arise:

1- Get an AGP card

2- Upgrade mobo to PCI-e and keep CPU (LGA775) and 1Gb RAM DDR (possible?).

I have not readen the link. So I don't know what it says yet. I'm going to read it. Tx :)

Lazaredz
08-17-06, 12:52 PM
Upgrade mobo to PCI-e and keep CPU (LGA775) and 1Gb RAM DDR (possible?).

I have not readen the link. So I don't know what it says yet. I'm going to read it. Tx :)

Yes and the article will show you what to expect.

darkbluesky
08-18-06, 01:40 AM
Ok, i see. I think I could keep DDR, in real applications seems not to have many difference...

But I have seen that this ASRock 775Dual-VSTA has PCI-e but at 4x (if I have understood well)...and poor OC capability.

What I would need is a LGA775 mobo with OC capability at least like the current Asus P5P800 I have and with full (?) PCIe x16 support, but accepting DDR.

darkbluesky
08-18-06, 05:41 AM
Looking to AGP reviews, I have noticed two strange things:

1- 7800GS is almost the 'same' performance that a 6800GT (?) This has impressed me because I thought that a 7800 (GS or not) should be pretty higher than the last generation last card, as 7800 is 'marketed' as a enthusiast card...of course it is normal to think that a 7800 GS is below a 7800 GT, etc, but not so below...Is this true?

2- The 6800GT is better than a 7600GT? It has surprised me. Also true? http://www.nvnews.net/reviews/xfx_7600gt_xxx/page_2.shtml

So what it is supposed that an AGP mobo owner should do? Maybe buy a 6800 GT...?

Someone could advice which AGP card will buy to upgrade my system? Tx a lot

Lazaredz
08-18-06, 06:28 AM
Well, if you look at part 3 of the article they do address the PCI x4 issue. Yeah its a limit, but it doesn't dripple a midrange card too much at all. It also shows that a 6800 ULTRA and 7600GS are pretty much going to give you the same performance. Since the 6800 Ultra is a better card than the 6800 GT & the 7600 GS is a lesser card than a 7600 GT; I'm not sure how you could come to the conclusion that a 6800 GT is better than a 7600 GT.

As far as the OC ability of the board, yes it is probably going to be minimal, but for what you were asking for (new PCI-E card and keep your old memory and CPU) I really think getting this board and a 7600 GT is going to be your best bet. Its only $55 for the board which is a good price for a "hold me over" board.

darkbluesky
08-19-06, 06:36 AM
Well, if you look at part 3 of the article they do address the PCI x4 issue. Yeah its a limit, but it doesn't dripple a midrange card too much at all. It also shows that a 6800 ULTRA and 7600GS are pretty much going to give you the same performance. Since the 6800 Ultra is a better card than the 6800 GT & the 7600 GS is a lesser card than a 7600 GT; I'm not sure how you could come to the conclusion that a 6800 GT is better than a 7600 GT.

As far as the OC ability of the board, yes it is probably going to be minimal, but for what you were asking for (new PCI-E card and keep your old memory and CPU) I really think getting this board and a 7600 GT is going to be your best bet. Its only $55 for the board which is a good price for a "hold me over" board.

I know, it is not bad. But what annoys me a bit, is that I bought a mobo that allowed me to OC the CPU and with good OC capabilities (at least for a OC newbie as me), and I wanted to keep these capabilities to OC the CPU and set it to a level more like the PCI-e. Summarizing:

Now the bottleneck is the 5900XT, I'm afraid that later it will be the CPU if I can't OC it.

The problem is to find a mobo LGA775, DDR, intel or nforce chipset (I don't like VIA) and with OC capabilities, as the ones I see (ASUS, etc) seems oriented for work PCs...

I am going to search the mobo forum, maybe there is info there...

ArturNOW
08-19-06, 07:54 AM
If you're going to do major upgrade in 2007 don't bother about changing other things that sole video cards. I thing Galaxy 7600GS AGP with 1.2 ns should be your choice. It's almost as fast as 7600GT which isn't available for AGP.

darkbluesky
09-07-06, 02:25 AM
After thinking on all this, I have decided to change only video card (It has no sense for me to change anything more, thinking on major upgrade 2007 late).

Now I think on Gainward 7800GS+ 512 Mb (G71) or 7600GS. The difference of price is important (150 vs 300), but if the gainward is really a G71 and has 24 pipelines, maybe it is a good purchase (I could pass it to my sister PC later 2007... :D ). The questions is

Someone knows how to see how much pipelines a card have? In some places people says 7800gs+ has 24 pipelines, but others tell 20. How many pipelines has this card? How can I know it?

Anybody?

Delbert
09-07-06, 06:15 AM
The 7800GS is based on the G70 core and has 20 pipes.
The 7800GS+ is based on the G71 core and has the full 24 pipes. Fastest AGP card available, but will need a good CPU to make it worthwhile.
Supposed to be a very limited run on these, hence why they are expensive.
RivaTuner can be used to see how many pipes are available.
Hope this helps and good luck with the purchase....

darkbluesky
09-07-06, 08:44 AM
Thanks

at least the card will not bottleneck the CPU, contrary I guess. So I'll try to OC as most as possible my CPU. (BTW, the DDR PC4400, 550Mhz Corsair)

shpuntik
09-07-06, 02:51 PM
I upgraded my ATI 9600XT to 7800GS four months ago and it has been treating me very well. I would recommend 7800GS to anyone who doesn’t want to do a major upgrade.
Cheers!

kamm
09-08-06, 02:19 PM
Now I think on Gainward 7800GS+ 512 Mb (G71) or 7600GS. The difference of price is important (150 vs 300), but if the gainward is really a G71 and has 24 pipelines, maybe it is a good purchase (I could pass it to my sister PC later 2007... :D ).

Where do you see the Gainward 7800GS+ 512 MB and for how much? This is the card I'm hunting for weeks now and I couldn't find anywhere here in the US, only used on eBay UK... I have to upgrade an older AGP machine very soon.

FYI: this is the fastest AGP card ever as of today, you can't go too wrong with it.;)

darkbluesky
09-09-06, 03:18 AM
www.alternate.de has it in stock, but I'm afraid they do not send to the US, but you can always ask them.

BTW, I have seen that in the BIOS setup I can set the AGP aperture size to either 128 or 256 but not 512. Does this means that I couldn't use the extra 256 MB? or that they will be used but at low rate? I chose an AGP card because I did not want to change now mobo...