PDA

View Full Version : 7900GT 2D/3D clock settings

Edetto
08-17-06, 01:34 PM
I just picked up a 7900GT and it's running great besides one problem.

I set the 2D core clock @ 553mhz and finally the memory @783 mhz, I do the same for the 3D settings, they pass the test button and after I hit apply the 2D core clock willd rop to 525mhz.

So, I figured, ok, I'll drop the memory and core clock on both the 3D and 2D by about 30 mhz so they match and when I hit test and apply, it bumps the 3D clock back up to where it was.

It runs fine, no temperature problems, no artifact problems when running a variety of benchmarks it's just when it changes from the 2D to the 3D engine that the screen flickers on and off.

I searched around a bit but can't find any solution to this problem, any one ran into this before?

Thanks

leafo
08-17-06, 07:41 PM
You dont want the 2d clockspeed high anyway. Its what the card runs at when doing normal windows stuff with no 3d processing, so the card stays cooler and uses less power and lasts longer.

crainger
08-17-06, 07:55 PM
You dont want the 2d clockspeed high anyway. Its what the card runs at when doing normal windows stuff with no 3d processing, so the card stays cooler and uses less power and lasts longer.

Though there are some who think the constant clock speed changes lead to early death, though I think it's more to do with voltage changes between 2D and 3D modes.

I agree with Leafo, is possible just to just overclock the 3D mode. Leave 2D as it is to give the card a break.

I don't really overclock much. I find the games I want to overclock for, often don't like overclocking as will crash or will actually perform worse.

Edetto
08-17-06, 08:12 PM
I'll just leave it be then, it seems to only add an extra 500-600 points to 3dMark2006 anyhoot.

My first PC upgrade in nearly 4 years, I'm happy with anything faster than my old comp.

Edetto
08-17-06, 09:08 PM
Back again, sorry to keep bothering you guys but -

Even at stock settings, my monitor will constantly flicker every 4-5 minutes. Sometimes it's only once, other times it will be a steady stream non stop off and on as if I'm applying new settings.

Ztweaked drivers 8.7.25
AMD64+ 3700
Corsair 3200 1G X2
Nvidia 9700GT
Foxconn NF4UK8AA-8EKRS
No sound card - disabled on board.
10,000RPM Raptor X2 (Raid 1)

This is confusing the heck out of me, according to Rivatuner the voltages aren't changing. I've also tried a variety of 9.X.XX drivers.