PDA

View Full Version : CPU = blown?

Raiasokura
08-17-06, 03:20 PM
Hi im wondering what happens when the cpu has blown or dosent work, does the computer turn on? or does it refuse to boot, Because i ve just built up my system i bought a new PSU and CPU from ebay the seller said the cchip is working but has a few pins missing anyway i put it in and installed everything as normal the system turns on but the monitor just displays a flashing blackscreen. anyone got any ideas? Does this look like ive been sold a defective chip? or is it something else?

System specs are here:
AMD Athlon 64 3700
ABIT NV8 socket 754
ATI X1900 XT
2x 512 Crucial Ballistix
600W PSU

Toss3
08-17-06, 03:48 PM
Hi im wondering what happens when the cpu has blown or dosent work, does the computer turn on? or does it refuse to boot, Because i ve just built up my system i bought a new PSU and CPU from ebay the seller said the cchip is working but has a few pins missing anyway i put it in and installed everything as normal the system turns on but the monitor just displays a flashing blackscreen. anyone got any ideas? Does this look like ive been sold a defective chip? or is it something else?

System specs are here:
AMD Athlon 64 3700
ABIT NV8 socket 754
ATI X1900 XT
2x 512 Crucial Ballistix
600W PSU
Missing pins? That's your problem right there, but luckily it's a problem you can fix. But don't try running anything that's broken since it'll probably result in more broken components. Just do a quick search on how to repair broken pins on your cpu and you should be ok. But I would just send it back, since it clearly isn't in perfect condition and replacing the pins might not even work. :(

Bearclaw
08-17-06, 03:51 PM
Send it back, it's defective.

XServer
08-17-06, 06:51 PM
but has a few pins missing anyway Does this look like ive been sold a defective chip? Yes a few pins missing is bad, you got ripped sent it back, AND NOT WORKING IS A GOOD SIGN.(nana2)

Bearclaw
08-17-06, 07:43 PM
Like I said earlier, send it back.

snowmanwithahat
08-17-06, 10:22 PM
yeh, definetly send it back, it's fine to work with bent pins.... i accidentally did that to about 50 of mine :( but broken and missing = useless

Bearclaw
08-17-06, 11:08 PM
yeh, definetly send it back, it's fine to work with bent pins.... i accidentally did that to about 50 of mine :( but broken and missing = useless
I must of missed where he said they were missing...for sure then send it back, it won't work with missing pins. :thumbdwn:

Raiasokura
08-18-06, 12:29 PM
is there anyway i can repair the chip? someone mentioned soldering the pins back on. unfortunatly i dont have the pins is there a substitute i can use?

Toss3
08-18-06, 04:04 PM
is there anyway i can repair the chip? someone mentioned soldering the pins back on. unfortunatly i dont have the pins is there a substitute i can use?
As I said earlier you need to check with google! (google) I've seen people repairing their CPU's, but you really should look for someone with more experience and I think you just might find some on the net if you just look. :) There should also be guides for fixing broken pins, but I'm sorry to say that you don't seem to have much experience with comps(I'm guessing here) and I think that sending it back would be a better choice. But it's your cpu so you can do what you want.

Here's a link to get you started: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=30081

Raiasokura
08-19-06, 10:31 AM
The reason i bought it was because it was really cheap and that i have dropped an old 3000+ Chip and snapped 2 pins on it and it still worked i thought maybe the same thing happened to him and it genuinely worked as he stated obviously it didnt. I also had to bend a lot of the pins back into place which was a frustrating process i thought maybe it had been damaged in transit or misplaced in the box but hes obviously dropped it and damaged it and thought he would sell it on and say its in working condition, so many scammers, i might take the risk and try and use wire. could work :D