PDA

View Full Version : Conroe system build in next couple weeks..

haloeighty8
08-17-06, 10:48 PM
Hey all,

I would like some input as to what direction I should go, I plan on dumping a substantial amount of cash on my new system upgrade. Essentially the system is my sig is no longer..lol.. I sold it, so I'm currently on my laptop and missing some solid gaming!!! :)

I've narrowed it down to the 975 board or nforce 4 intel platform. I'm still deciding if I wanna go quad SLI or just stick with 1 7950. The mainpart of this build will be a Core 2 Extreme X6800. I'm not much into oc'ing so that should do the trick just fine.

Keep in mind.. I plan do get this done in around 2 weeks if not sooner. So I spose' my mobo options aren't many.. what to you guys think? Thanks for any advice... :)

sirplayalot
08-17-06, 10:53 PM
Screw the 975 and nforce 4. nForce 590 is the way to go! :)

haloeighty8
08-17-06, 11:00 PM
hehe, but I'm impatient.. dont know if I can wait!!

Rytr
08-17-06, 11:00 PM
Your only option is the 975 at the moment and that processor with the 7950GX2 should make for a good gaming rig.
We're still waiting on NF5. :(

sirplayalot
08-17-06, 11:05 PM
Well nForce 570 is already out if you can stand only dual 8x SLI.

Rytr
08-17-06, 11:38 PM
I should have said 590 as there is a good selection of available 570 boards.

haloeighty8
08-18-06, 12:43 AM
So as far as you guys are concerned the Nforce 4 platform is not a option then? I mean it does seem like I'd be going in circles since I'd already owned it with the AMD platform.

soulie
08-18-06, 10:16 PM
Grr all the waiting on the nforce 590 intel. When they arrive i prob say screw it buy myself a motherboard thats has a longer upgrade life :p.

ITS NOT EVEN OUT and its getting out of date :thumbdwn:

haloeighty8
08-20-06, 02:51 AM
ah maybe I'll just build a FX-62 based system!!!!! lol! ;)

Bearclaw
08-20-06, 02:57 AM
As far as deciding to get Quad-SLI or not, if you have the money, might as well. It can't hurt you at all versus the one 7950.

Either way, let us know how it turns out! Good luck. :)

haloeighty8
08-20-06, 07:09 AM
honestly, do you guys think it's silly to build a fx-62 based system with say the asus crosshair 590 board? I'm seriously considering it but dont know how viable of a solution it is, I'm sure for the games I play it would be fine.. but what do you think? be honest! ;)

Crazyick
08-20-06, 07:12 PM
I just put together a 6800 extreme system with quad SLI using the p5n32-sli se nforce4 asus board. Aside from having a cmos problem early on all is great and I would recommend this setup if you are in that much of a hurry. Otherwise wait a little longer and get the nforce590.

haloeighty8
08-21-06, 03:28 AM
Thanks for the comments, I'll keep that in mind.. I guess at this point I'm going to wait and see how it looks in a couple weeks and go from there!.

Toss3
08-21-06, 09:00 AM
honestly, do you guys think it's silly to build a fx-62 based system with say the asus crosshair 590 board? I'm seriously considering it but dont know how viable of a solution it is, I'm sure for the games I play it would be fine.. but what do you think? be honest! ;)
To be honest I think it would be a waste of money, since you can get SLi working on intel chipsets and the same performance the fx-62 offer from a much less expensive CPU, the core 2 duo 6600. So building a high-end amd computer is more or less not worth it right now, since Intel offer more for less. Amd is great for those who go mainstream and are on a tight budget.
Going Intel right now is more future-proof than going with AMD, even though Amd offers stability and guaranteed support for the 7950Gx2(they've been out some time now, so most if not all bugs have been dealt with).
The games of today are relatively gpu bound, especially if you play on high res with lots of AA and AF, so you wouldn't notice a big difference between the two, but at the same time the price can differ as much as 300$ and the Intel CPUs are bound to get faster as they mature.