PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia Active Armor (Firewall)

K007
08-18-06, 07:19 AM
Who uses this? I heard the new 6.86 Nforce drivers+ fixes alot of issues making it work properly..what do other people think? I currently using ZA Pro..but atm i dont like how ZA is crashing and i wake up in the morning with it crashed/reloaded..i never had this on NI05..but i dont like NI05 and its massive resource eater..

What i want is a firewall + antivirus (paid or not..money isen't really an issue when it comes to keeping my pc safe..last thign i want is having a headache after i get home from work :/).

I Was thinking of giving the nvidia firewall a try..i use torrents alot for downloading..not all the time and game alot..thats about it..sharing is very limited thx to my useless australia isp(sadly it is the best offer..10GB cap..12kb/sec max upload speed..on CABLE..)..so my upload blows for seeding..

Oh yeah i need to keep my email safe as well..alot of spam/viruses get picked up by zapro
Cheers..

Should be a sticky arround just for this..so everyone can talk about it and find answers to problems..and come up with a solution..i would like to use the nvidia firewall..but if it blows..then :/

nekrosoft13
08-18-06, 07:25 AM
in my opinion, when i tried NV firewall, its complete garbage. never tried the one in 6.86, but after the previous versions, i'm going to try this one.

K007
08-18-06, 07:48 AM
I did have the 6.86 on my new reinstall but then thought it was a bit dodgy..the ui was a bit lame looking...but yeah i am 99% sure its fixed now..one bieng the corrupted downloads..which i tested out by downloading a 4gb file off of my isp servers..

nekrosoft13
08-18-06, 07:50 AM
i don't even use nvidia nic anymore

my board also has a marvell gigabit nic, so much better, faster too

Vik1dk
08-18-06, 08:10 AM
Nekro is right, my max DL speed went from 477kB(nvidia) to 491kB(Marvell)
I never liked the NV firewall, ie refreshing a server list took like 3-4 times longer than soft firewall
Havent tried the new one tho

SLippe
08-18-06, 08:41 AM
For Anti-Virus I suggest AVG by Grisoft. It's FREE.

As for a Firewall I don't have anything to suggest. I use the built-in XP Firewall plus a Router.

I also use Ad-Aware SE and Spybot Search & Destroy. The Immunize feature of Spybot is very helpful.

tacos4me
08-18-06, 03:36 PM
No need for a firewall really. A decent router will take care of any problems.

sharangad
08-18-06, 04:13 PM
I Was thinking of giving the nvidia firewall a try..i use torrents alot for downloading..not all the time and game alot..thats about it..sharing is very limited thx to my useless australia isp(sadly it is the best offer..10GB cap..12kb/sec max upload speed..on CABLE..)..so my upload blows for seeding..
/

If you do any peer to peer downloads you might as well forget about the nVidia active armour firewall. It totally kills peer to peer traffic. I had an Asus nForce 3 with Active Armour and I was never able to do peer to peer downloads with it. I got very few connections and the downstream speeds were miserable. I now just use the Windows XP software firewall.

The newer nForce 5 boards no longer have a hardware assisted firewall.

You could buy a dedicated hardware firewall, like a router.

nekrosoft13
08-18-06, 04:28 PM
No need for a firewall really. A decent router will take care of any problems.

routers are great, but i like more control

with software firewall i can decide which apps can connect to net and which can't

RejZoR
08-18-06, 07:53 PM
Routers and hardware firewalls are complete waste of money unless you have a network with router in front of it. Buying such stuff for direct connection is however a true waste of $$$.
If you need high performance and free firewall there are Comodo and Windows XP Firewall. If you need just inbound protection and pretty much zero overhead, than use WinXP firewall. But if you need high performance firewall with some more control and high security level, then Comodo Personal Firewall is the answer. Great interface, simple usage, fast and secure. Oh and it's free :D Just wait till 24th August 2006 when they release heavily upgraded version 2.3. Very good stuff, i'm sure you'll love it ;)

Though i was always interested in testing NV Active Armor, but since you need actual hardware i never got chance (still on nForce2). Idea is certanly good, but they failed to realize promised stuff. Too bad :(

Phyxion
08-19-06, 03:14 AM
I use NOD32 + Kerio Personal Firewall, works the best, I only tried NAF once, but it was just too bad for normal use.

K007
08-19-06, 04:51 AM
I use NOD32 + Kerio Personal Firewall, works the best, I only tried NAF once, but it was just too bad for normal use.

How are these in terms of program control for the firewall and system resource hogging/eating ram..etc..

atm ZA takes alot of ram..

Do these also protect against spam mail/virus protection in them aswell?

Installed NOD32/Kerio. Looks good. For staters ZA was slowing down my loading process into the OS..This is with everything package (Firewall/Antivirus/Spyware/IM Protection)..with NOD32 and Kerio..it eats about the same ammount of ram with the same ammount of resources..will test it out for 30 days..see how it goes from there..Maybe i can drop them and use NAM(Nvidia firewall) and that should save alot of resources/ram as well..just need a decent UI from nvidia for NAM.

Phyxion
08-19-06, 07:05 AM
How are these in terms of program control for the firewall and system resource hogging/eating ram..etc..

Good, low system resources, not much different between nothing and these two installed

atm ZA takes alot of ram..

I know, thats one of the reason I dont use it

Do these also protect against spam mail/virus protection in them aswell?

Yes, everything is being supported

Installed NOD32/Kerio. Looks good. For staters ZA was slowing down my loading process into the OS..This is with everything package (Firewall/Antivirus/Spyware/IM Protection)..with NOD32 and Kerio..it eats about the same ammount of ram with the same ammount of resources..will test it out for 30 days..see how it goes from there..Maybe i can drop them and use NAM(Nvidia firewall) and that should save alot of resources/ram as well..just need a decent UI from nvidia for NAM.

Check above :)

ATOJAR
08-19-06, 08:35 AM
I use AVG free & windows firewall they do a great job... never done me wrong anyway.....yet.

K007
08-19-06, 09:31 AM
I use SP1 -.-

Phyxion
08-19-06, 12:36 PM
I use SP1 -.-
Then you can better use nothing(nana2)

Masq
08-19-06, 01:50 PM
I use Bitdefender 9 Internet Security for my Anti-virus and Firewall needs. I have to say that i love this program with all my heart. You can get a free-trial to see if you like it

therapture
08-20-06, 01:02 PM
AVG + router w/ firewall = no issues ever.....

t3hl33td4rg0n
08-23-06, 04:16 AM
I am on 6.86 but I still had to turn of AA/SNE as it was still corrupting stuff..

My Test 1.

VNC into my linux box
-- 0 Errors = no corruption.
-- Random wierd errors and disconnections = corruption.

I got corruption. And also tested on some very large JPGs and downloaded a 300MB and the MD5 came up wrong.

For me, the corruption still exists.

BUT!

The firewall works just fine with AA/SNE disabled and its quite fast on my 100% Gb LAN here. Havent had any issues and I've had it installed for a couple weeks now.

AND!

a guy from nforcershq.com has been in touch with nvidia about the corruption problem and supposedly they just recently gave him a debug-enabled driver+NAM. He said it has fixed his corruption issues with NAM. Anyone wanna try this out?

Thread: http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/nvidia-networking-driver-with-download-corruption-fix-vt67290.html

Corresponding Thread (Long): http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/nvidias-intrest-in-fixing-the-active-armor-problem-vt66765.html

EDIT: Fixed typo

cr0ft
08-27-06, 01:06 PM
Installed an nForce 4 board today. Installed the latest non-beta drivers. Got massive corruption issues with downloads and whatnot. Turned off the firewall, and everything is great (and based on this thread, I'm switching to the Marvell based gigabit port as soon as I can be bothered.)

StoNer
08-30-06, 10:14 AM
use Sygate personal firewall, i switched over to it from Zonealarm awhile ago because i heard it uses less resources.

I like it :P

Sebassis
08-30-06, 01:06 PM
For me the 6.86 drivers did nothing to fix the problems I was having with the firewalled network adapter. Just kept corrupting exe's and made my pcanywhere and enterprise manager connections hang. Even when I disable the firewall it still seemd to do this which lead me to believe the interface wasn't actually turning the firewall off.

In the end I sodded it off and went back to the marvell one which works a treat.