PDA

View Full Version : Returning to NVidia After ATI Card....a couple of questions

JInglee
08-18-06, 10:12 AM
HI

Long term NVidia fan but switched to ATI at the 9800 PRO series.
Just bought a Gainward Bliss 7800GS +

-I notice in playing Oblivion after using a X800XT PE w/ Catalyst Drivers, my mouse seems either sluggish or too fast and unsteady.

-Also, despite having a far superior card and regardless of driver, I get frequent "stalls" or like 1/2 second locks in game.

-Last, is there a tool like the ATI Tray Tool that allows for setting hot keys for in game color adjustments and screen shots? Have tried Riva Tuner and NV Tray but cant find the combintation of features.

Thanks for any help.

Becoming
08-18-06, 03:25 PM
Wait...what the hell card are you using right now? You mention a 9800, you just bought a 7800gs, but have questions about ATI drivers? Am I missing something here?

I'm guessing those "stalls" are the game loading scenery if they are happening outdoors.

agentkay
08-18-06, 04:20 PM
The mouse movement can be improved by reducing the "max frames to render ahead" setting from 3 to 1 or even 0. If you canīt see this setting in your Nvidia control panel, you need to install coolbits or look for it in Rivatuner.

These stalls can have several reasons. It can be memory/pagefile related (reduce texture resolution or add another GB ram), the card might be overheating (check the temperature, reduce or remove overclock, try to get more airflow inside your case) or try a different set of drivers. Make sure and check out the tweakguide for Oblivion to optimize the visuals and performance.

Also, did you reinstall your system/Windows after you got your new card? I know some people say its not necessarly but I noticed personally that a reinstall can fix quite a few strange little issues.

You can make screenshots with the print key or with Fraps but I donīt know a program that does both (screenshots and color correction with hotkeys).

JInglee
08-18-06, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the replies and suggestions.