PDA

View Full Version : P5N32-SLI SE + Quad-SLI = Memory Problems?

Pages : [1] 2 3

JesseJames
08-18-06, 03:35 PM
Hey everybody, I need a bit of help with this problem. I just got done building my Core 2 Duo computer. Here is the specs:

Power Supply: Tagan Turbojet 1100W
Motherboard: P5N32-SLI SE
Processor: Intel E6600
RAM: Corsair TWIN2X 2048-6400C4PRO
Hard Drive: WD Raptor 150GB
Video Card: (2) EVGA 7950GX2

Now my system originally have 1 EVGA 7950GX2 video card in it. It ran perfectly fine and detected the system memory at 2048MB installed/2048MB usable. I ordered a second EVGA 7950GX2 video card, put it in and both the cards are detected and working fine but the system memory reads as 2048MB installed/1152 usable (under Windows system properties and motherboard BIOS). So when I took out one of the EVGA 7950GX2, the system memory went back to normal at 2048MB installed/2048 usable. I already posted a message at Asus forum and it seemed like other people with more or less similar setup as mines experience the same problem. Here is the link:
http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20060817141524453&board_id=1&model=P5N32-SLI+SE+Deluxe&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

I already notified Asus tech support regarding about this issue and see if there is a simple solution or a BIOS update and here is their response:
Dear Sir/Madam,

The Nforce4 chipset doesnt support dual 7950 video cards. You can only run one of those cards in the system.

Best Regards,

Jeremy
ASUS Technical Support

Now I have noticed that one of your forum poster have a similar problem but with a different Asus motherboard:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=74935
Now I would think that the chipset on the A8N32-SLI Deluxe would be similar with the P5N32-SLI SE and that Quad-SLI should be functioning correctly.

Now my question is:
1) Based on what Asus tech support stated, is it true that Nforce4 chipset-based motherboards does not support Quad-SLI?

2) If I add a second 7950gx2, will it occupy my memory resource thus dropping my memory usage down 1GB?

3) If my second question is true, then will adding 1GB of RAM help compensation for the loss of the memory usage?
e.g. 2GB of system memory + Quad-SLI = 1152MB of usable memory
so does that means:
3GB of system memory + Quad-SLI = 2176MB of usable memory

If someone in this forum can provide any help or feedback, please don't hesitate to post.

Thank you in advance.

shungokusatsu
08-18-06, 04:10 PM
People have been having issues with SLI and that board, that's why everyones waiting for the 570's and 590's. NF4 chipset does support Quad, as you can see by my sig. Are you using the latest bios?

JesseJames
08-18-06, 05:04 PM
People have been having issues with SLI and that board, that's why everyones waiting for the 570's and 590's. NF4 chipset does support Quad, as you can see by my sig. Are you using the latest bios?

Thank you for the reply.

Actually the motherboard have been recently released in the market. I already check Asus download for the latest bios, unfortunately no new BIOS have been released as of yet.

Dazz
08-18-06, 05:13 PM
What about the memory 4G option it might help.

Rieper
08-18-06, 07:35 PM
Thank you for the reply.

Actually the motherboard have been recently released in the market. I already check Asus download for the latest bios, unfortunately no new BIOS have been released as of yet.

New bios for the Asus P5N32-SLI SE : 0303

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1641537&postcount=36

I dunno where he found the new BIOS release, but it couldn't hurt to ask him where...good luck!

Let us know if you find a solution.

Rieper
08-18-06, 07:50 PM
Also, one more thing...

According to nVidia, the ASUS P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe is compatible with 7950 GX2 Quad-SLI setup, see here:

http://www.nvidia.com/content/geforce_gx2_sbios/us.asp?vendor=asus&sortBy=chipset

So obviously, that ASUS email reply you received is INCORRECT.

Check this guy here, who is a professional hardcore reviewer, found nothing wrong using your exact setup, 7950 GX2 Quad-SLI:

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTEzNywyLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

JesseJames
08-18-06, 07:54 PM
What about the memory 4G option it might help.

Hmmm... couldn't find any option in my BIOS in regard of memory 4G. The only option I see that is memory related is the "Memory Remap Feature"... I already tried it and it locked up my computer. I have to remove the CMOS battery and clear the BIOS to get back to normal.

Thanks for the help, though.

New bios for the Asus P5N32-SLI SE : 0303

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1641537&postcount=36

I dunno where he found the new BIOS release, but it couldn't hurt to ask him where...good luck!

Let us know if you find a solution.

He got the new BIOS? Hmmm, I haven't see it in Asus download yet... could be a beta. But I'll ask him if he can send me the file. Thank for the help, I'll let you guys know when everything is working.

JesseJames
08-18-06, 08:20 PM
Also, one more thing...

According to nVidia, the ASUS P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe is compatible with 7950 GX2 Quad-SLI setup, see here:

http://www.nvidia.com/content/geforce_gx2_sbios/us.asp?vendor=asus&sortBy=chipset

So obviously, that ASUS email reply you received is INCORRECT.

Check this guy here, who is a professional hardcore reviewer, found nothing wrong using your exact setup, 7950 GX2 Quad-SLI:

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTEzNywyLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

I know that Asus email reply is indeed incorrect because I have it running in front of me at this moment. I'm pretty sure that Asus Tech Support doesn't want to put enough effort into helping me out, it was such a generic answer that I got from them... I'm was trying to find out where my remaining 896MB of system memory went. Oh well, I might as well ask them again one more time and see what they will say.

Thanks for the provided me the link, I probably email them the links as well to prove to them that it does support it and do indeed works.

jAkUp
08-19-06, 01:50 AM
I have heard of this issue multiple time. At least 4 or 5 times.

JesseJames
08-19-06, 08:40 PM
Hey everybody,
Here's a little update on the situation at the moment. I sent a message to Nvidia about my problem yesterday. Here's a copy and paste:

Customer (Jesse James) 08/18/2006 01:16 PM
My system spec as follows:

Motherboard: Asus P5N32-SLI SE

When the system has 1 geforce 7950gx2 card installed, the total usable memory size is 2048MB. But when the system has 2 geforce 7950gx2 card installed utilizing SLI, the total usable memory size dropped down to 1152MB. Removing the card to leave just 1 geforce 7950gx2 in the system, the memory is back to 2048GB usable memory.

I already notified Asus Tech Support in regard to this situation and here is their reply:

Dear Sir/Madam,

The Nforce4 chipset doesnt support dual 7950 video cards. You can only run one of those cards in the system.

Best Regards,

Jeremy
ASUS Technical Support

My question is:
Is it true that the Nforce4 doesn't support Quad-SLI?

Thank you in advance

Got a response from them today and here what they say:
Response (BM) 08/19/2006 09:35 AM
Hello Jesse ,

Thank you for contacting NVIDIA Customer Care

As i understand , you have the following system specifications as follows:

Motherboard: Asus P5N32-SLI SE

You are unsure as to why the Nforce4 chipset motherboard doesn't support Quad-SLI . We recommend you to click on the link mentioned below to help you understand which motherboards have been tested and certified to be compatible with the 7950GX2 graphic cards.

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nvidia.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1873

Best Regards,
NVIDIA Customer Care

Well that was not the answer that I'm really looking for. I was hoping for a simple "yes or no" answer with a brief explanation. But instead, they provide me with the generic answer and throw in the link for good measures (seem they like to copy and paste alot). Well I already asked them another question, hopefully they will give me a definite answer this time. I'll keep you guys updated.

In the meantime, here's a picture of the problem. Noticed the total memory that is reported under CPU-Z and the usable memory under Futuremark.

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/897/asusprintscreenuj1.th.jpg (http://img225.imageshack.us/my.php?image=asusprintscreenuj1.jpg)

SemperFi
08-20-06, 01:00 PM
I was having the same problems with my asus a8n32-sli deluxe board. A bios update fixed my problems. Have you tried to enable the memory hole in bios? This may work for you until a bios update is released for your board. Good Luck.

Grestorn
08-20-06, 01:07 PM
Have you tried to install a 64bit Windows?

JesseJames
08-20-06, 02:51 PM
I was having the same problems with my asus a8n32-sli deluxe board. A bios update fixed my problems. Have you tried to enable the memory hole in bios? This may work for you until a bios update is released for your board. Good Luck.

I was trying to tell Asus tech support if there is going to be any BIOS fix and they response is that it is not possible to run Quad-SLI on that motherboard because of the chipset. Well once I get the proper response from a represenative at Nvidia, I going to message Asus tech support again and see what they have to say this time.

In my BIOS, I couldn't find any option in regard of memory hole. The only option I see that is related is "Memory Remap Feature" and that did not work. So definitely this motherboard need to have the BIOS updated. Thanks for the suggestion.

Have you tried to install a 64bit Windows?

I don't think 64-bits Windows can help me with this problem... same probably goes if I would have installed Vista, Linux, etc. because the BIOS is reporting 1152MB of memory as usable. Here's the screenshot:

http://img422.imageshack.us/img422/6933/asusbiosze2.th.jpg (http://img422.imageshack.us/my.php?image=asusbiosze2.jpg)

Grestorn
08-21-06, 02:03 AM
I don't think 64-bits Windows can help me with this problem... same probably goes if I would have installed Vista, Linux, etc. because the BIOS is reporting 1152MB of memory as usable. Here's the screenshot:

It might still, since the BIOS is working in 32bit mode. No BIOS would ever report more than 4 GB because of that, too.

I'm pretty sure that the limitation you're experiencing is due to the fact, that you have 2GB of video memory to be mapped into the 32bit address space. I actually wonder why any BIOS is able to report 2GB of real memory in a Quad-SLI environment...

Rieper
08-21-06, 02:39 PM
I am getting my Core 2 Duo x6800 cpu tomorrow and I already have my ASUS P532-SLI SE Deluxe mobo and (2) eVGA Geforce 7950 GX2 cards waiting.

I also have 2 Crucial 6400C4 memory sticks (1GB x 2).

I'll report my findings tomorrow once I have my Quad-SLI up and running.

Sebassis
08-21-06, 07:23 PM
Hi All,

I've posted this on the Asus forum too but thought I'd mention it here too:

Found this hardware review that uses the P5N32 SLI SE Deluxe board with 2 7950 GX2 in quad SLI configuration and there's no mention of any memory problems with their 2GB of RAM. Maybe they didn't check the ram but they certainly seem to be having no problem using the quad sli 7950's.

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=283&type=expert&pid=3

They don't mention what bios they're using on the mother board either but given the test results they don't appear to be having any problems.

Cheers,
Steve.

Crazyick
08-22-06, 06:57 PM
I just noticed that my board is reporting one gig installed in both BIOS and Windows. I have not tried removing one of the 7950 gx2’s to see if the problem will clear, yet.

Edit ... Okay when i removed one of the 7950 gx2's the system reported 2 gig's in both bios and windows. Hopefully Asus (at least the one's who can do something about this) is aware of this and will fix this in a future bios update.

rudedog
08-22-06, 09:54 PM
I just noticed that my board is reporting one gig installed in both BIOS and Windows. I have not tried removing one of the 7950 gx2’s to see if the problem will clear, yet.

Edit ... Okay when i removed one of the 7950 gx2's the system reported 2 gig's in both bios and windows. Hopefully Asus (at least the one's who can do something about this) is aware of this and will fix this in a future bios update.

Other then the ram being reported incorrectly (can possibly not being used) how does this board run with your dual 7950s and x6800? I have the same setup minus a MB. I have my processor just sitting on my self waiting to be used :) and I was thinking to grab this board as a standby until the dfi is released.

Rieper
08-22-06, 11:50 PM
There is a new BETA bios (0305) for the ASUS P5N32-SLI SE DELUXE motherboard over at the ASUS website: ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/socket775/P5N32-SLI%20SE%20Deluxe/

0305.zip .................BETA BIOS 0305

P5N32SE0204.zip......STOCK BIOS 0204

Maybe the Beta BIOS will fix the memory allocation problem others are experiencing.

Sebassis
08-23-06, 05:57 AM
Thanks for letting us know about the new beta driver Reiper.

Has anyone used the Asus beta drivers before? Iwas just wondering how "beta" they were. I'm not sure what I'd do if I flashed the bios and my machine stopped booting... probably assume the fetal position and cry like a baby :)

I'm not sure my machine is even going into quad sli mode as I don't appear to get that message bubble telling me quad sli has been enabled like they did on that review I posted. It also keeps defaulting to "Do not use SLI technology" whenever I go to the 3D settings on the Nvidia control panel.

Ahhh the joys a new system. It's all suddenly becoming clearer why I hadn't upgraded in 6 years :)

Cheers,
Steve.

Rieper
08-23-06, 08:03 AM
Thanks for letting us know about the new beta driver Reiper.

Has anyone used the Asus beta drivers before? Iwas just wondering how "beta" they were. I'm not sure what I'd do if I flashed the bios and my machine stopped booting... probably assume the fetal position and cry like a baby :)

I'm not sure my machine is even going into quad sli mode as I don't appear to get that message bubble telling me quad sli has been enabled like they did on that review I posted. It also keeps defaulting to "Do not use SLI technology" whenever I go to the 3D settings on the Nvidia control panel.

Ahhh the joys a new system. It's all suddenly becoming clearer why I hadn't upgraded in 6 years :)

Cheers,
Steve.

I'll tell you what, I have an ASUS SILENT SQUARE HSF coming today, which is all I need to finish putting my system together.

I will be the brave guinea pig and let you guys know. But I want to test the stock 0204 bios first, just to make sure I'm getting the memory allocation error like the rest of you guys.

I'll report my findings later this afternoon (including the BETA bios 0305), for sure.

Sebassis
08-23-06, 08:38 AM
I'll tell you what, I have an ASUS SILENT SQUARE HSF coming today, which is all I need to finish putting my system together.

I will be the brave guinea pig and let you guys know. But I want to test the stock 0204 bios first, just to make sure I'm getting the memory allocation error like the rest of you guys.

I'll report my findings later this afternoon (including the BEAT bios 0305), for sure.

Rieper you are a star (salute)

Good luck with the build and I hope it all goes well.

Cheers,
Steve.

Crazyick
08-23-06, 05:13 PM
Oh right I just got home from work, downloaded the beta bios, but I can’t install the asus updater program. I get the following error message while trying to install … NT service registry error! Please reboot NT and run again. Okay, what the heck does this message mean! I will try and figure this out but in the mean time if you have any idea’s please let me know. Maybe I should take this as a good sign, by preventing me from installing a beta maybe I am saving myself from hosing my own system. :)

Edit .. one other message box appeared and it said that i do not have an asus motherboard ... aborting setup. Maybe Asus put an older version (p5n32-sli) of the software on the P5n32-sli se CD.

Crazyick
08-23-06, 05:22 PM
rudedog, to answer your question, I do not notice anything abnormal with my system in spite of the so called “missing” gig of ram. When I load a game/level it does not seem to go to my swap file, do not hear the HD thrashing about while loading apps. Other than this one current issue I am extremely happy with the computer.

But, one thing to look out for, when I first received the parts and put everything together, the system would not post. I was able to get the system to post with a p4d 950 but not with the core 2 6800. For a day or two I thought I had a bad processor. But in the end all I needed to do was clear the cmos (pull battery, short pins, wait 10 seconds, return jumper to correct position, reinstall battery) and all posted fine.

rudedog
08-23-06, 08:08 PM
Thanks for the info Crazyick,

I will be keeping an eye on this thread and give the DFI guys a week or so to see if anything comes up, if not I guess i will try this Asus board.