PDA

View Full Version : Quality vs High Quality benchmarks ?

Pages : [1] 2

Shocky
08-19-06, 07:26 PM
Hi, have there been any reviews which have compared performance on 7900GT/GTX and also SLI with recent drivers

a12ctic
08-19-06, 08:19 PM
um, probobly not, theres no visual improve ment with high quality, all it does is turn off some optimizations.

jAkUp
08-19-06, 08:22 PM
High Quality looks slightly better with filtering and mip transitions... Performance hit is pretty high though.

Shocky
08-19-06, 09:39 PM
um, probobly not, theres no visual improve ment with high quality, all it does is turn off some optimizations.

But, theres allot of shimmering with it set to Quality... So it does improve IQ... I'm just wondering if they have improved performance at HQ recently or not... I've not noticed any performance hit from enabling it but I'd like to know what effect it does have on my framerate....

Using 7950GX2 btw...

K007
08-19-06, 09:42 PM
Improves IQ at a massive perfermance hit. I think reason why people say ATi has better IQ is because with there optimisations..IQ looks alot better compared to nvidia..and pretty much any source engine will show that shimmering..liquid like walls..atleast in the VST for CS Source is a good place to look for it..

In Prey certain areas goes from 60fps in Quality to 35-40 in HQ, this in spirit form...and @ 1280x9604xaa/8xaf..probably gonna go ati next time arround give them a shot..see what all the fuss about iq is about.

|MaguS|
08-19-06, 09:55 PM
Hmmm I never noticed a big performance hit in HQ that could be due to me always running everything in HQ but I never got horrible performance in any game that made using it unplayable.

K007, Check your rig because Prey ran great for me at 1920x1200 with 2xAA/8xAF with HQ on...

Dr.Nick
08-19-06, 10:24 PM
I always use HQ also and have never had any performance issues. Prey plays like butter at 1600/4xTRSAA/16xAF. Coming from an ATI X1900XTX I dont know why people crap on NV's IQ, its pretty much just as good(AF is better on ATi and AA is better on nv)

Rytr
08-19-06, 10:26 PM
In the CP if you set Quality to Best Quality optimizations will be turned off. A definite performance hit is taken at Best Quality setting. However, on a fast system with a good graphics card performance would be neglible except in running benchmarks.

gram_vaz
08-19-06, 10:28 PM
I recently read at the Beyond3D forums that High Quality mode is broken. Setting to High Quality mode apparently doesn't do what it's supposed to. In order to get High Quality mode you have to set it to Quality mode and manually turn off the optimizations yourself. Here's (http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showpost.php?p=809012&postcount=41) the post. I haven't been able to find that original thread he alludes to. There's also this (http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showpost.php?p=809191&postcount=44) reply which says this only happens under certain cases in OpenGL.

K007
08-19-06, 10:49 PM
Hmmm I never noticed a big performance hit in HQ that could be due to me always running everything in HQ but I never got horrible performance in any game that made using it unplayable.

K007, Check your rig because Prey ran great for me at 1920x1200 with 2xAA/8xAF with HQ on...

I got it in this one area only and only when i went into the spirit form. It was one of the areas where you get a corridor and you encouter those laster detecting gun turrents..went into spirit form to disable it and notice a fps drops..

shoman24v
08-19-06, 10:49 PM
You could always get an ATi card if you want high quality ;)

ahhh

RejZoR
08-20-06, 05:21 AM
Bull****, i had Radeon and i also had loads of GeForces and they have the same image quality. Minor differences are expected as there are two different chips with completelly different architecture and algorithms.
You can't expect them to perform 1:1 per pixel identical image.
Only way to notice ANY difference is to use scresnhot comparisons.
Good for techy tests and reviews but useless to any gamer who's not chasing the pixels.

Shocky
08-20-06, 10:42 AM
Lots of opinions but no definate answers.... I can confirm High Quality is working, the shimmering is cleared up nicely after enabling it and there is no noticable performance hit so I think the claims of a huge performance hit are exagerated.

Vik1dk
08-20-06, 11:41 AM
A quick 3d03 run, 91.36 2xAA/16xAF
Quality 16860
High Quality 17755

jAkUp
08-20-06, 11:48 AM
Performance hit should be in the range of 5-10fps

gram_vaz
08-20-06, 11:50 AM
Lots of opinions but no definate answers.... I can confirm High Quality is working, the shimmering is cleared up nicely after enabling it and there is no noticable performance hit so I think the claims of a huge performance hit are exagerated.It depends on the game.

Shocky
08-20-06, 01:27 PM
It depends on the game.

Can you provide an example ? other then comments by others with no specific evidence either way.. ?

fivefeet8
08-20-06, 03:52 PM
I think Ut2k4 has some noticeable performance difference with HQ over Q. But in most games, HQ doesn't deter performance that much. Ran GRAW with HQ and Q and saw no noticeable performance increase or decrease. Of coures I saw no changes in IQ either in that game though. I also disabled all optimizations manually and it made no difference in that game.

SemperFi
08-20-06, 04:29 PM
Ive seen the best results by setting mine to high performance then setting my sli mode to "sli anti-aliasing 8x" and every game I have tested plays amazing without any real performance hit. SLI 8xAA mode in oblivion pulls 70-120fps outdoors, 160-230 fps inside. Quad Damage.

|MaguS|
08-20-06, 05:01 PM
Ive seen the best results by setting mine to high performance then setting my sli mode to "sli anti-aliasing 8x" and every game I have tested plays amazing without any real performance hit. SLI 8xAA mode in oblivion pulls 70-120fps outdoors, 160-230 fps inside. Quad Damage.

Anyone can get those high FPS in Oblivion with HDR off though... As for "High Performance" mode, I would never touch it... everything looks like total ass with it on no matter what AA/AF setting you set.

anticitizenzero
08-20-06, 06:27 PM

ahhh

Wrong Forum :thumbdwn:

nekrosoft13
08-20-06, 06:45 PM

ahhh

no thank you, had one before, won't get another one for quite a long time

weeds
08-20-06, 07:37 PM
There are som Q & HQ benchmarks done by Ratchet, Click on the 4xAA 16xAF Tab on this page.
http://www.rage3d.com/articles/mgpuworldtour_p8/index.php?p=5

The performace Difference really depends on the game. With most games the performance difference is anywhere between 0 and 5 FPS, but there are exceptions where the performance is a loss of 10 FPS or more. Here are 12 games I benched with 7900 GTX SLi, Forceware 91.33 Quality vs. HighQuality. Seeing these results its really not accurate to say HighQuality takes a huge performance across the board, because it doesnt. 2 of the 12 games I tested showed a significant drop in FPS.

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/323/acb0.th.png (http://img223.imageshack.us/my.php?image=acb0.png) http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/4086/bce4.th.png (http://img219.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bce4.png)

Acid Rain
08-20-06, 07:50 PM
Lots of opinions but no definate answers.... I can confirm High Quality is working, the shimmering is cleared up nicely after enabling it and there is no noticable performance hit so I think the claims of a huge performance hit are exagerated.Here, have an answer. Anisotropic optimizations cause the shimmering. Disable them both but leave the trilinear opt on and you'll get the best image quality to performance combo.

However, with high end gear, there is plenty of power to disable all opts.

particleman
08-20-06, 11:11 PM
No you have to go to High Quality to reduce shimmering. Quality with all the selectable optiimizations off is not the same as High Quality.

Here, have an answer. Anisotropic optimizations cause the shimmering. Disable them both but leave the trilinear opt on and you'll get the best image quality to performance combo.

However, with high end gear, there is plenty of power to disable all opts.