PDA

View Full Version : 6800GT SLI Freezeing Issues. Help if able. TY

Shimm59
08-20-06, 12:19 AM
So this is my problem.

My computer runs 100% fine, no issues whatsoever. But the second I enter any type of game my computer will freeze for 1-2 hours, then it will kick me out to the games log in screen and stay frozen for another hour or so before it unlocks instelf. It ONLY does this with gaming programs. I can use my computer for anything and it won't have any issues... But the second I launch a game it will freeze for over an hour.

All of this leads me to believe that it's my video cards.
I have two 6800GT's in SLI.

What I have done so far...

Updated the Drivers
Reinstalled the Drivers
Updated Direct x
Made sure the video cards are seated correctly.
Made sure the SLI Bridge was seated correctly.
Made sure the SLI Switch was in the right way.
Defragged
Optimized everything
Changed out the ram
Took out both cards and ran them separately.
Ran everything in default.
Underclocked the graphic cards in four different settings with Coolbits.

I would have reinstalled the games but this happens for any game I want to play so that wouldn’t help.

Anyone have any ideas?
I'm now at a loss

Roadhog
08-20-06, 12:50 AM
you let it stay frozen for 2 hours? man you have patients.

Redeemed
08-20-06, 01:23 AM
you let it stay frozen for 2 hours? man you have patients.

My thoughts exactly.

Could it be a power supply issue?

You do have a molex connector plugged into each card, don't you? And if so, nothing else is running off that line is it?

ATOJAR
08-20-06, 09:33 AM
i had a power issue a while back, my system started and ran windows just fine, as soon as i started a game and my gfx card took more power from the psu the pc just shut down, sometimes the monitor would just switch off untill i restarted, my last problem was when i installed my 7800GTX on a crappy Q-TEC psu (BIG mistake) as soon as i plugged the gfx cards 6 pin power lead in the pc wouldent even boot up, if i took the power lead out the pc worked fine.... just my gfx card wasent getting enough power, my hiper type R sli ready 580W psu sorted the problem out!

Dosent sound like a power issue to me though(i could be wrong), what wattage is your psu? you sure one/both of the cards are not overheating? what temp is your cpu running at idle? what happened when you tried the cards seperatly?

Imbroglio
08-21-06, 10:49 AM
several things you need to look at....

*) when you say that you updated your driver did you update the chipset drivers to 6.86 or are you still using the 6.6x chipset drivers

*) list the idle and load temps (well, almost load temps) in here. you can use a temp monitoring program with logging if your computer freezes after you load the game

*) do you have the ezplug (or equivalent of the ezplug) plugged in on your motherboard. if not, that would explain the immediate instability when launching 3d apps, especially if your psu is under 500w.

listing the wattage of your psu and the amperage of the 12v rail will help other ppl determine your problems as well.

wouldn't hurt to list out your components for us as well.

edit: i remember reading something like this where the bridge was set upside-down. make sure that the one, or however they label the top on your bridge connector is correct, because apparently information from the second card gets crossed and locks up the app in 3d and this would make sense if both cards work perfectly fine on their own