PDA

View Full Version : Vista: What do you think? Do you like it?

Capt. Picard
08-20-06, 06:22 AM
A couple of days ago I installed Vista Ultimate Edition and also XP again on a dual-boot system.

It was the first real experience I had with Vista. Now before I continue I must say that I like it (fullstop). But on the other hand I feel that maybe they have overdone it bit this time. I mean the visual effects, though very impressive, is a bit ... unnecessary. We all know that Windows has come under alot of flak since the middle nineties about various issues, all relating to the fact that the OS is like super luxury sedan; easy to drive with lots of features and overall a very good experience, but wait untill something breaks, then it's like a rotten apple in the apple pie - it spoils the whole thing. I still feel that XP, as a OS, felt just right. MCE if you really must.

The could have spent more effort perfecting the stability and robustness of the OS to make it appeal to more "Leenoox" fans - which I think is like a Hummer or a Land Rover; very spartan and rugged and strong, but without any finesse. I'm not a Linux fanboi. One of thre little girls in my class, whose father is a Linux fan, keeps on bringing me Linux cds, but I just say thankyou, stack 'em on a spindle and bury them in a drawer.

But this is just my opinion. What's yours?

rewt
08-20-06, 08:08 AM
It is not very useful at the moment. I mean, what can you do on Vista that you can't do on Win XP?

Basically the only reason I have it installed is so I can test my program NVTweak/NVTray on it.

retsam
08-20-06, 11:49 AM
It is not very useful at the moment. I mean, what can you do on Vista that you can't do on Win XP?

Basically the only reason I have it installed is so I can test my program NVTweak/NVTray on it.
ya, i second this sentiment. i think most of the cool features are going to be on the server side of things like the ability to quarenteen users based on criterea set by policies.

grey_1
08-20-06, 01:57 PM
I ended up disabling most of the eyecandy, wound up being a little underwhelmed myself. I don't know just how much will change between this build and rc1, not much on the surface I would guess.

Overall, nothing against it, don't see a huge reason to move from xp yet either.

Zelda_fan
08-20-06, 05:09 PM
I installed beta 2 a few weeks ago, and it's pretty decent for a beta. I was honestly shocked at the speed of it considering all the effects it was preforming and the fact that it's still in beta. So in short I like it, but it is a tad too sluggish for my taste, but I'm 100% sure this will be fixed by the final release, and I'll upgrade to Vista as soon as it's out.

gnutux
08-20-06, 06:11 PM
I find it too bulky and useless. I rather get a Mac or stick to Linux.

gnutux

Absolution
08-20-06, 11:40 PM
I enjoy it a lot... it takes a bit to get used too and sometimes I feel like its quicker in XP... but in general, if they can match the performance: sign me up.

K007
08-21-06, 03:41 AM
I am sure buy the time it hit retails alot of the bugs should be gone and like any software it will have issues that will get fixed overtime..as for the visual effects they gone with..i like it..for starters..will see some really cool wallpapers/desktop themes going on and i am defeantly looking forward to it.

One question thats been bugging me in the back of my head..ok say i have 512MB video card..and Vista uses xxx video memory? or use the system memory for its effects? If it use video memory..does it use alot..sure..some say not all the video memory gets used even in todays games..but hey..i like to know..and how it will effect perfermance in games...loading/stuttering..fps loss..visual problems..

And i hope this time we can get better 64bit support and more 64bit games..i still dont know why we wont use 64bit..and move forward..afterall most of us use a64..why not make full use of it..i have only tried winxp64 once on my old rig..and it felt really smooth but the lack of support for drivers/gamers..its really annoying..

Btw i wouldn't mind a 3-4% perfermance hit trade off (in fps) just to use vista..i mean come on..who really cares about 1-2 fps..or that uber 3dmark score..as long as ure system looks sweet..ure desktop looks sweet..ure games look sweet..who cares :)

Zelda_fan
08-21-06, 10:10 AM
One question thats been bugging me in the back of my head..ok say i have 512MB video card..and Vista uses xxx video memory? or use the system memory for its effects? If it use video memory..does it use alot..sure..some say not all the video memory gets used even in todays games..but hey..i like to know..and how it will effect perfermance in games...loading/stuttering..fps loss..visual problems..

Nope, Vista will actually run it faster. This is one of the best new features of Vista. Whenever you start a game, Vista unloads ALL THE CRAP that is in memory except for a couple vital OS functions. This allows the game to take advantage of nearly 100% of the system's resources.

npras42
08-21-06, 05:29 PM
Nope, Vista will actually run it faster. This is one of the best new features of Vista. Whenever you start a game, Vista unloads ALL THE CRAP that is in memory except for a couple vital OS functions. This allows the game to take advantage of nearly 100% of the system's resources.

They say it will run faster, and with their method of implementation I would agree that it will eventually be quicker than XP. However, until the drivers are up to scratch and various bugs are worked out I really doubt it will actually run quicker and I think that could take up to 6 months after release.

Zelda_fan
08-21-06, 06:00 PM
They say it will run faster, and with their method of implementation I would agree that it will eventually be quicker than XP. However, until the drivers are up to scratch and various bugs are worked out I really doubt it will actually run quicker and I think that could take up to 6 months after release.

nVidia and ATI already have beta drivers out that support the new driver model. I have a feeling the G80 and R600 are going to launch very close to Vista's release. I think that over time they will optomize performance a lot, but I do think that it will be faster than XP out of the box. Anandtech has done benchmarks on the latest build, and in games it is nearly as fast as XP. That's amazing considering that DX10 isn't even implemented, and 90% of the OS is still running on slow, unoptomized debug code.

K007
08-22-06, 05:06 AM
Either way i am excited..-.- having Vistra T.Pack is no fun after seeing some of the screenshots of vista -.-. Going Straight to something like Vistra Proffestional 64bit..or something close to it..hopefully price will be decent...not too high..but decent..afterall i will end up using the OS for a very long time anyway.

Vapor Trail
08-22-06, 08:12 AM

Drivers are a mess for me right now.

Printer and scanner - no drivers at all right now :(
Razer Mouse - only works as regular mouse :(
Audigy - only 2 speaker mode :(
Nvidia video - AA/AF settings don't work right, probably more :(

Vista looks nice, but until drivers are better I'm not wasting any more time with it.

Capt. Picard
08-22-06, 08:21 AM
There are also no drivers for my modem.